1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity QLS-1 Crossover Attenuators

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by VoltaicAudio, Nov 4, 2018.

1. VoltaicAudio

VoltaicAudio New Member

I’ve stumbled upon multiple threads here on the site where pots have been mentioned and most have been lucky enough to take them out and clean them, not needing replacement. Unfortunately for my pair they are pretty bad. There is some water damage to the crossover cabinet and the pots faired the worst. One side is completely locked up and didn’t have much luck with Deoxit. The other side they are loose as all. Am I going to have to fork out $20 a piece to replace these or is there another alternative? Thank you for any direction that could help me revive my recently acquired dream speakers.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

The originals are rated for up to 25 watts and 5 ohms of adjustment.

You could wire them out of the circuit and replace them with 2.5 ohm resistors. That would be like setting the pots "flat".

Amazon sells this: https://www.amazon.com/d/Rheostats/...sr=1-2&keywords=potentiometer+25+watts+5+ohms. Edited to add: I measured the distance between the midbass control and the midrange control and it is 1.6". I know the description states 1.6" BUT I bought one a while back, never used it since I managed to clean mine, and it measures 1.7"...

They also have these 50 watt/5 ohm pots but the base is listed as 2.3" diameter which will not fit, and they appear to have open backs, that could be a problem. https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Wirewound-Potentiometer-Control-Rheostat/dp/B00K82TH7W

Amazon also sells a 25 watt/10 ohm version which is also open back but slimer at 1.7" diameter. https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Potentiometer-Variable-Resistor-Rheostat/dp/B00JR3ROS2

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    VoltaicAudio likes this.
  3. MoreBeer

MoreBeer Money + Money =More Money

I'm with Chef on this one....bypass the suckers completely or add a low value resistor if that spins your noodle.

VoltaicAudio likes this.
  4. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

If you haven’t already destroyed your original potentiometer’s try dropping the units in white distilled vinegar. Then slowly take apart, clean.

chef free likes this.
  5. VoltaicAudio

VoltaicAudio New Member

Thank you for the replies. I am going to go the bypass route and see if I can’t refurbish some of the pots later.

chef free likes this.
  6. idadude

idadude Well-Known Member

I've bypassed mine with Duelund resistors and couldn't be happier. They're smooth sounding and I'm not missing any details. The best of both worlds.

L.D.

VoltaicAudio likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I had the tweeter pots wide open so I bypassed them without a resistor.