Infinity QLS 1 Recapping with pictures !

Seems like lots and lots of work has gone into that, really nice!

I didn't think you'd experience such big difference in sound, kind of makes me want to recap my Columns as well :)

So, next step is replacing the small strings that Infinity call internal wiring heh? :D

Now THAT would be a job on a pair of QLS:s, i can imagine :)

Ok tonight I finished recapping the other QLS1 and got everything back together. I positioned them about 3 ft out from the wall with about 3 ft from each side wall and 6ft apart. Scratch everything I said about hoping the bass would open up, There is more bass than I will ever need and then some. I actually flipped the switch on the filter on my spec 1 to tone things down a bit on a couple of tracks i ran off a cd I know well. Finally Im at a point with these where I feel Iv'e given them a new start and they sound extremely good.:thmbsp:

Here is the restoration list on this pair of QLS 1s

1. Woofers refoamed
2. Middomes replaced/repaired
3. 4 Emit tweeters repaired
4. Full Re-Capp
5. 1 midbass coupler replaced
6. 1 set of binding post replaced (thanks jim)
7. Cabinets given the full Feed~N~Wax treatment

Did I mention they have alot of bass.:D

Thanks to everyone who helped me get
them back like new.:banana::banana::banana:

How do you like the pairing of the Spec-1 and QLS-1's? I'm running a PS Audio 4.6 right now and really like it. Also, my Quantum 3's may need a new mid-bass...any advice on how to procure one? Aren't they a Phillips driver?

How do you like the pairing of the Spec-1 and QLS-1's? I'm running a PS Audio 4.6 right now and really like it. Also, my Quantum 3's may need a new mid-bass...any advice on how to procure one? Aren't they a Phillips driver?

The original midbass driver in the QLS is a Philips AD5060/W8, the T/S parameters are as follows:
DC resistance: 7 for 8 ohm
Moving mass: 6 g
BL: 5
Piston diam: 87 mm
Piston area: 59 mm^2
Magnet: 230 g
Air gap height: 5 mm
VC height: 6.3
Fs: 65
Compliance: 1.25 mm/N
Vas: 5.2 liters
Qms: 3.8
Qes: .66
Qts: .56

But, some of the smaller Quantum series may have used the Philips AD5060/SQ8, which is a midrange driver that looks almost identical from the front but usually has a plastic enclosure "bucket" attached to the back and has a FS around 400Hz instead of the /W8's FS of 65Hz.

You'd have to pull the driver and see what number is stamped on the back.

I liike the Spec 1 alot with my QLS1s but I admit I haven't compared it to anything else. Right now Im in the process of Getting a smaller rack to house
my Spec gear in that will allow me setup the system in a different room where it can be used more often. The WAF factor on a 14ft wide rack and speakers is rather low as you can imagine, so if I can reduce the system to just components and speakers I might not have to get rid of the wife and most of the Living room furniture. :D

I have a working midbass coupler that has a small cat cut in the rubber surround that you can have if you want it. P/N is the same as jimreeves
posted. Im guessing you could seal it with a small dab of glue.

Also have you checked the driver to make sure its not a resistor ? My first midbass issue was a bad wirewound resistor on the crossover board.

I liike the Spec 1 alot with my QLS1s but I admit I haven't compared it to anything else. Right now Im in the process of Getting a smaller rack to house
my Spec gear in that will allow me setup the system in a different room where it can be used more often. The WAF factor on a 14ft wide rack and speakers is rather low as you can imagine, so if I can reduce the system to just components and speakers I might not have to get rid of the wife and most of the Living room furniture. :D

I have a working midbass coupler that has a small cat cut in the rubber surround that you can have if you want it. P/N is the same as jimreeves

Also have you checked the driver to make sure its not a resistor ? My first midbass issue was a bad wirewound resistor on the crossover board.

I got my midbass re-foamed at MillerSound. He used foam to well re-foam them.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks for the offer JT45! I'm not sure that I necessarily need a new mid-bass or not. I was mainly concerned because the rubber surrounds look a little worse for the wear as they show some light cracking in the rubber. I will let you know if I end up needing one.

I'm curious how much better the QLS-1 would sound after a recap? Mine are bone stock and each are being powered by an Adcom GFA-565 monoblock power amp and I think they sound incredible. In fact, I can't say I've ever heard a speaker that sounds markedly better than these. The only down side that I have run into is that they are so accurate they reveal poor recording quality. The difference between a poorly mixed album and a properly mixed album is pretty dramatic. Last night I had a local AK member over for a lite jam session and he brought along a Dire Straits album which I thought sounded amazing. Later when I listened to Gin Blossoms I was a bit let down. Just not as well mixed. More muddled and less distinct. I'm rambling...

The difference between a poorly mixed album and a properly mixed album is pretty dramatic. Last night I had a local AK member over for a lite jam session and he brought along a Dire Straits album which I thought sounded amazing. Later when I listened to Gin Blossoms I was a bit let down. Just not as well mixed. More muddled and less distinct. I'm rambling...

yeah, your 80s and 90s mainstream rock collection is going to be hit or miss on the QLS1's. some works pretty well though, so don't give up!

I never even considered the idea that some albums weren't mixed as well as others. Let alone that I'd ever be able to discern the difference.

I think that's a bigger factor than anything with speakers....the recording quality. Some, not all, newer stuff seems to be mixed more for earbuds.

I never even considered the idea that some albums weren't mixed as well as others. Let alone that I'd ever be able to discern the difference.

Yes for sure. My taste in music has changed considerably as my gear has gotten better. I tend to listen to more LPs with more Acoustical material on the main system. Not really genre specific but more laid back high quality recordings alot of wich completely new to me. I have discovered most of it by following the music threads here in AK and also from various music services like Spotify and Mog. I still listen to some classic rock but prefer to do so on my PC audio system wich has the Little Mitsu (fet) amp and Newer Infinity speakers. But for the most part I try to avoid bad recordings alltogether and focus on finding and listening to good low level recordings. If all else fails I throw on a set of Senn HD600s wich have a somewhat warm colored sound and can make even bad recordings sound pretty good at low levels.

Of course getting older may be a part of this as well. (Im in Denial on that one).:D

Last edited:
I think that's a bigger factor than anything with speakers....the recording quality. Some, not all, newer stuff seems to be mixed more for earbuds.

+1
I'd probably opt for the best recordings over the best speakers, although I'd love to have some nice enough speakers to enjoy those recordings:)

Just wanted to Thank you for sharing your pictures and documenting everything.

I know this is a way old thread but I'm about to embark on my own update of my QLS-1's.

Back
Top Bottom