Infinity Quantum 2 EMIT

walllly

I recently acquired a pair of Infinity Q2's. I am in the process of repairing 2 of the EMIT tweeters. Originally the face plate magnets were covered with some yellow tape (which is now history). Was there some special property to this tape? Or was it just a film protective barrier to protect the diaphragm?

Also I responded to a prior thread about the spacers used to increase the dispersion of the EMIT array. If anyone knows the length of the spacers (top and bottom), I would appreciate it. Mine were removed.

Thanks,

Walllly
wgray@centennialpr.net

Welcome to Audio Karma, Walllly!

The spacers for the top tweeters (that go on the bottom two screws) are roughly 1/4" long whilst those for the bottom are closer to 3/8". Exact numbers shouldn't be too important here as the spacers are for improving vertical dispersion and in fact, your speakers might sound better for a sitting person with them flush mounted and the pot turned down a bit to accommodate for the increased response.

Now, as to your other questions, I'm afraid that I haven't that particular knowledge. I lucked out with my pair in that all 8 EMITs were working, not that anything else was in them. You can read a little more about the EMITs and their repair here. However, if you're looking to get those two repaired, AK Mod Army has a friend who does good work in repairing these for a reasonable price.

Since you're new to vintage Infinities, might I suggest a few good reads?

First off is Bobby Shred's original Infinity pages. Then there's the very informative, though German, website Infinity Classics. Finally, if you want to talk to other Infinity owners and get their input (though the older Quantum series don't get as much attention here as the newer series), check out the Infinity Classics Yahoo Group.

Good luck getting those excellent speakers of yours going.
- JP

Thanks, Charivari: I've looked over Bobby Shred's page and the German Classics site and I'm a member in the Yahoo group, but haven't found ANYTHING on the properties of the yellow tape that was used. If you think of anything, let me know.

And thanks fot the spacer measurements.

Best Regards,

Walllly
wgray@centennialpr.net

Ah well, it seems like you've already been quite busy. My best guess for the function of the tape is just to hold the diaphragm aligned during assembly (the traces need to be parallel to the magnets for best function) and more importantly, to keep the magnets from wearing through the Mylar over time from the slight flex. Perhaps standard electrical tape should suffice if you trim it into strips to the same dimensions of the original yellow tape unless you can find a very thin double-sided tape, which is what this stuff appears to have been originally.

- JP

Welcome Walllly.

Nice to hear from another Q2 owner :banana:

I've included some close-up pics of those spacers. I swear the spacer tubes have the angle cut at the ends as the fit looks sooo tight to the cabinet and the Emit frame.

How about some info on your set? Mirror imaged ? Rear firing Emit? Bi-amp connections? Serial numbers? Have your woofer foams been done already?

Seems like I'm collecting this data for some reason. Interested to see if there is a pattern to the serials and the different designs of the Q2's that are out there.

Charivari has a really wierd set of serials on his. They must have been prototypes that broke out or something :thmbsp: (We need to find out the story on those JP)

Well, I'm sure we'll all be conversing with questions and listening impressions in the next while. Talk at you later.

Attachments

• Top Emit Spacer 1.JPG
    Top Emit Spacer 1.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Top Emit Spacer 2.JPG
    Top Emit Spacer 2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Bottom Emit Spacer 1.JPG
    Bottom Emit Spacer 1.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Bottom Emit Spacer 2.JPG
    Bottom Emit Spacer 2.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 27
Kencat said:
Charivari has a really wierd set of serials on his. They must have been prototypes that broke out or something :thmbsp: (We need to find out the story on those JP)
Whoa, now that's a cool thought. Ya know, one of my Q2s is nearly identical to the pair featured on the brochure. I even had a thread discussing this, though the images are now lost. I sure would like to know if mine are something special and if there is a story behind them. I had one of mine open just a couple of weeks ago, but didn't see any special markings. I did find a flashlight I lost from four months before when I had been in to do some crossover repairs, though. :screwy:

- JP

Charivari said:
Whoa, now that's a cool thought. Ya know, one of my Q2s is nearly identical to the pair featured on the brochure. I even had a thread discussing this, though the images are now lost. I sure would like to know if mine are something special and if there is a story behind them. I had one of mine open just a couple of weeks ago, but didn't see any special markings. I did find a flashlight I lost from four months before when I had been in to do some crossover repairs, though. :screwy:

- JP

Oh Man, :lmao: :lmao: :tears:

I'm glad you're not in pre-med.

Does the patient sound better now?

The patient is feeling fine with no ill effects. The sound isn't as bright now, though.

Oddly, it didn't affect the sound much, there was a faint rattle occasionally at certain frequencies. I finally got tired of it and shook the speaker around a little bit, when I heard something thunking around inside, I opened it up and found the flashlight. It was a dumbsh~t moment, but I was happy to have my flashlight back, albeit with dead batteries.

- JP

Hey, I think this might be a neat new thread topic.....What Wierd Shit Have You Found in Your Speakers?

What do you think? I wonder how often that happens? Wonder if anyone has ever found bones ? or even money?

On another topic, (you think we've hijacked Walllly's thread ?) the Veneer pattern thing is very cool. I read that old post - too bad the pics are missing - and went back to look at mine. No where near similar to that brochure model, and each speaker is very different too. No grain matching considered there. Wonder how many speakers could be made from a "run" of the same veneer? could be a bit of a time stamp maybe.

Hey Walllly (gotta ask...why the 4 l's???), can you post some pics of your Q2's ???

I can tell one is s/n: 7100586. They are a mirror pair. Woofers are rebuilt and working perfectly, now working on tweeters. No flashlights inside the cabinet (yet). Back to you.

walllly said:
I can tell one is s/n: 7100586. They are a mirror pair. Woofers are rebuilt and working perfectly, now working on tweeters. No flashlights inside the cabinet (yet). Back to you.

That serial is very cool. It is only 407 away from a known Non-mirror imaged set that was made in 1976. See below.

(7100178 and 7100179) - Non mirrored with rear emit - made in Sept/Oct 1976.

(7103168 & 7206395) - mirror imaged Q3's.

(7104061 & 7104520 - Mirror imaged Q2's , no rear emit - Kencat's.

(7209404 & 7209405) - NON-Mirrored Q3's

(7207664 & 7206975) - Mirrored Q3's - bought new in 1979

(1020711 & 1020712) - non-mirrored Q2's, rear EMIT, no biamp - Charivari's

(7100586 & 7101282) - Mirror imaged Q2's, No backside tweeter - Walllly's

(7101797 & 7102422) - Mirror imaged Q2's, No backside tweeter, and biamped - Bocoogto's

Walllly, is the other serial gone or messed up ?

I am beginning to think that these Q2's were supposed to be mirrored, but between screw ups at infinity and the dealers, people got shafted.

Need more data though.

Last edited:
Kencat said:
Hey, I think this might be a neat new thread topic.....What Wierd Shit Have You Found in Your Speakers?

What do you think? I wonder how often that happens? Wonder if anyone has ever found bones ? or even money?
Would make for an interesting thread, I seem to recall one a while back for what's been found in LP sleeves. For the bit about bones, would two dead mice and a bunch of dog food found in one of my HPM-40 Series I count?

Kencat said:
On another topic, (you think we've hijacked Walllly's thread ?) the Veneer pattern thing is very cool. I read that old post - too bad the pics are missing - and went back to look at mine. No where near similar to that brochure model, and each speaker is very different too. No grain matching considered there. Wonder how many speakers could be made from a "run" of the same veneer? could be a bit of a time stamp maybe.
Woohoo! Hijack! But is it really a hijack to make an Infinity Q2 thread into an Infinity Q2 thread?

Anyways, here's a picture of the Quantum in question.
Q2veneer.jpg

- JP

Hey now, what's the deal with all these '7' serial numbers? I'm starting to feel the odd man out, but with a quick verification, I can swear that mine are '1's.

- JP

Charivari said:
Woohoo! Hijack! But is it really a hijack to make an Infinity Q2 thread into an Infinity Q2 thread?

- JP

By Jove, you are quite right young man. Carry on then.

Charivari said:
Nice avatar, Kencat. Was this last post just a chance to show it off? :D

- JP

No. Honest. When you create or change an avatar it changes it everywhere, immediately, old posts included.

I am aware of that, just felt like complimenting you on your avatar and giving you a hard time while I was at it.

Hey, 400 posts, bit of a mile marker. Not long until you hit 500. Going to try to make the next 100 devoted entirely to Infinity speakers?

- JP

Back
Top Bottom