Infinity Quantum 2 EMIT

Wow, 400! I hadn't noticed that. That's a lot of yakkin huh?

All Infinity? Probably not. I was replying to one on the Mirage speakers thread tonight, but no one came back.

Always like to get into any discussions on the Mach 2's or HPM-60's or old AR's.

The Mach's are a nice easy, smooth listen compared to the 60's which are more brash, a little irritating after a while actually. I've got the AR2's hooked up to an old HK-330C in the basement, man the bass is incredible...the bass guitar licks are so clear and just seems to linger. Very distortion free combo. :music: The basement enhances the bass somehow, cause they didn't sound as good upstairs, but then they were on the Denon too...maybe not a good match.

Oops, now that's a hijack.

Just like tango, it takes two to hijack.

Haven't had any Mach series, so I can't comment. I agree with you about the HPM series, which is why I've decided to get rid of my HPM-100s. Just too peaky and harsh to enjoy for my type of music. Now, ARs, well, I've only a single AR-1, so I can't comment too much. A little bass shy, not much high end extension, but it has a very good, detailed midrange that's very realistic. Guitars sound especially good and it would make an excellent speaker for a mono setup if I wasn't so attached to having a good stereo image. Haven't driven it much as I don't want to risk a 50 year old, $1200+ speaker just to see how loud it goes. Oh, but the build quality is fantastic. I could easily see using the cab as a jack-stand on a truck with no trouble at all. Hefty little bugger.

- JP

SicMan said:
Hey KenCat! I think you flushed out a couple Infinity owners! LOL

Charivari's been carrying the beacon alone for awhile....just took another injection of new blood. Still a pretty small following though. Maybe that is a good thing, prices will remain low (well, sort of) with them not being a big thing.

Did I say these Infinities are just pure crap ? No-one wants anything to do with them. Don't even bother. Junk. Don't know why I bought em. Our ears are all messed up, don't know what we're talking about. Yup, no market for these things, ever.

(think that'll fool em ? )

Kencat said:
Charivari's been carrying the beacon alone for awhile....just took another injection of new blood.
Thanks, mate. It was a long, lonesome road to sing the praises of vintage Infinities.

Kencat said:
Did I say these Infinities are just pure crap ? No-one wants anything to do with them. Don't even bother. Junk. Don't know why I bought em. Our ears are all messed up, don't know what we're talking about. Yup, no market for these things, ever.

(think that'll fool em ? )
Oh? ... umm ... well ... Yeah, of course! Stay away from vintage Infinities! They're all worthless with horribly flat, accurate frequency responses, ridiculously sweet tweeters that never fatigue, and painfully good bass. Stay clear if you know what's good for you and go after those peaky vintage speaks everyone raves about; they'd be eBay money better spent. That is, at least until I can snag TOTL examples of each series. Let's see IRS V, IRS Beta, QLS-1, Ren 90s .... :scratch2:

:D
- JP

Charivari said:
Thanks, mate. It was a long, lonesome road to sing the praises of vintage Infinities.

Oh? ... umm ... well ... Yeah, of course! Stay away from vintage Infinities! They're all worthless with horribly flat, accurate frequency responses, ridiculously sweet tweeters that never fatigue, and painfully good bass. Stay clear if you know what's good for you and go after those peaky vintage speaks everyone raves about; they'd be eBay money better spent. That is, at least until I can snag TOTL examples of each series. Let's see IRS V, IRS Beta, QLS-1, Ren 90s .... :scratch2:

:D
- JP

:lmao:

Merry Xmas JP,

May those TOTL's grace your living room some day.

And to all AKers out there, best seasons wishes. May all your dream speakers come to your houses some day as well.

My Q2's are S/N 7101797 and 7102422. No backside tweeter. They are mirror images (left and right) and can be biamped.

My Q3 serial number tags are gone, but they are mirror images, also--no biamp or rear tweeter.

These Quantum speakers are GREAT!!! Finding a current model system that is as good or better than these would be a challenge. Back in the 80's, I took my pair to a local audiophile store that sold Pardigm, Polk, Mission, B&O, and others. We A/B'd the Quantum 2's with a pair of large Polks about 55" high--don't recall the model--probably SDA's. The Quantums were better on low end, imaging, and were much sweeter sounding on the high end. I thanked the salesman for his trouble, took my Quantums home and have been happy with them since.

I did have a chance to A/B them in my home with Definitive Technology BP ????--with the 15" woofers and built-in subwoofer amps. The high end of the Definitives was very similar to the Quantums, but they did not produce bass as low as my Quantums.

Thanks for the serials Bocoogto. I added them to the post with all the others. The serials that have a "spread" continue to be the mirror imaged sets. :scratch2:

Gotta go do the family thing for a few days so I won't be working on the Q2's. All the good comments I keep reading ....can't wait to get them operational.

Ah well, all good things in time....

Any more info on the Q2's? Did very many of them have the rear EMIT's and has anyone got photos showing how these were mounted/pointed/part number? Was Infinity the first to do this rear-facing tweeter thing? I believe all the QLS1's had this feature.

Hmm, oddly, I don't have a picture of the rear EMIT. Guess I'll have to do that the next time I can steal, erm, I mean borrow my friend's better digital camera. Basically, for the left speaker (or both with non-mirrored designs) the rear EMIT sits in the upper left corner behind a circular bit of flush-mounted grill cloth identical to the rear opening on the midbass transmission line. The EMIT itself is squarer than those on the front with a 4x4 arrangement of slots over the 2x8 of the fronts.

As to the part number, the schematics show it to be #902-0157 and is connected to the front 3, just 180° out of phase. All the QLS, afaik, had the rear tweeter, but with an additional switch down on the panel to switch it in or out of the system.

- JP

Back
Top Bottom