Infinity Quantum 3 speakers found at a yard sale

I have the 10" woofers from a set of RSb's and all the components of the Monitor Jr. Does anyone know if these will help the OP?

I just Googled the address off the back of the Quantum 3. Looks like it's a furniture store today..

12" watkins dual voice coils are the only valid replacements. I think Bill Watkins said they performed optimally in the QLS-III. I think this speaker sounds MIGHTY fine once restored to as new. Take those pots out and take them apart and clean them... there's a few threads about doing that, I think the metal cans on the stock electrolytic capacitors reacts with the metal inside the pots so replace those old can caps for sure and clean the pots, yer good to go...well re-place all the caps and yer good to go!

Cheers,
Bob

I have the 10" woofers from a set of RSb's and all the components of the Monitor Jr. Does anyone know if these will help the OP?

OP needs 12" watkins dual voice coil woofers. the quantum jr.'s braun 1.5" dome mids (902-0206 or 902-0260 depending on which tech sheet you believe) would be the same as used for the Q3.

I started on the cabinets today in a preliminary mode. The Cab's have marks like a blunt (Not scratches but more dent like) object ran across the sides in a few areas. They are not to deep but I don't want to risk sanding through. I think I will just preserve them with a light sanding to remove the old finish and re-seal with Watco, Natural "Danish Oil". Man are these a beast to deal with!

Check it out! I got the water marks out from the plant pots (and wine glasses?).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• QLS 3's.jpg
    QLS 3's.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 218
  • QLS 3's 1.jpg
    QLS 3's 1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 217
Great work thus far!

PM DrBiggles, he's great with restoring cabs if you wanna go all anal on those.

Best of luck.

I have a pair of these buried in the collection they sound great when powered properly. The dome mids were shot and replaced them with a french made dome mid. I tried to sell them last year but no one seemed interested. I'll have to dig them up give them another listen, plus the cabinets need a little work. Does anyone have grills for these speakers?

Those bring back memories, my first good pair of speakers. Wish I had kept them. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a pair of these buried in the collection they sound great when powered properly. The dome mids were shot and replaced them with a french made dome mid. I tried to sell them last year but no one seemed interested. I'll have to dig them up give them another listen, plus the cabinets need a little work. Does anyone have grills for these speakers?

I have 2 sets of grills and dont use either of them - they don't stay on very well I got tired of picking them up and putting them back on. These speakers really do benefit from re-capping in more than just better sound. The metal the pots on the crossover are made of interacts with the metal from the large can capacitors causing corrosion in the pots and on the outside of the caps. Replace those caps and remove/tear down/clean/re-install those corroded pots, you will be VERY happy with the sound.

I'm driving mine with a 12w/ch SET tube amp - sounds mighty fine! I've tried Crown power amps/Yamaha/Sansui - sticking with SET tubes.

Cheers,
Bob
Bob

Thanks for encouragement. I need to sell a set and that should offset the cost of the restoration. I hope to get the Pioneer SX-1010 listed this week.

Bobrown14, The grills won't stay on? You must be playing the music to loud! :D

Last edited:
Northwinds sold me his Watkins!

So, I can take this refurbish seriously.

I pulled out one crossover, tucked away the drivers in a safe place and tomorrow I will start on the cabinets with a smile on my face.

Looking for replacement 600uf caps I found these at Mouser:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/88/3186-24785.pdf They are bigger in diameter but the same height. Plenty of room for mounting new mounting clamps. Both crossovers are identical (A good thing; reading other posts it seems there is a chance you could have a mix).

Do the Bi-polar's need to be replaced? I'v read several Threads but never gained a concession.

Tomorrow I will search for the thread on cleaning the ceramic pots. I had seen it in my travels but at the time I was thinking on parting out the set.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• QLS-3 1.jpg
    QLS-3 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 235
  • QLS-3 2.jpg
    QLS-3 2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 231
  • QLS-3 3.jpg
    QLS-3 3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 230
I was re-reading the thread and the concession is to replace the black cap and the poly's as well. OK.
Going for broke!!! :D

I was re-reading the thread and the concession is to replace the black cap and the poly's as well. OK.
Going for broke!!! :D

While yer there do it all! :thmbsp:

See those clamps on the big can caps? They have different metal than the capacitor does - that interaction causes off gasses during the oxidation process. That oxidized gas condenses and collects in the pots, you can see all the corrosion leaking out of the pots, once you take the pot apart there will be a ton of gunk inside the pot that needs to be cleaned - I would dunk those pots in vinegar them a lot of D5 & then fadar lube, re-assemble.

Regarding replacement caps - see this thread.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387573

Your 381LX caps are OK but better for power supplies. They will work tho.

Cheers,
Bob

I just started looking at them. Keep thinking of stuff!!
I completed cleaning and ohm checking the pots for the one crossover. They were a mess. Now they work perfectly.

Hey, what speaker is right and which is left? :D
I know there's is a difference because they are mirrored.

Hello
You should not use the cap you found on Mouser this is an electrolytic cap and you need a BiPolar cap.

Read the threads many people have done this using caps from various places
Parts Express has these, two of these in parallel will give you 600 uf

http://www.parts-express.com/300uf-100v-electrolytic-non-polarized-crossover-capacitor--027-371

For the other non electrolytic caps I personally would not replace a film cap.

Unless it was bad which does not happen often.

As far as what is left or right the tweeters should go to the inside

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I am getting close to making the order and will order up eight caps from Parts-Express.

Back
Top Bottom