Infinity Renaissance 80

Da He Hua

I picked up a pair of these speakers for $70. They are in unknown and untested conditions. I hope I took the smart risk but maybe it is a total mistake. Anyway, I won’t be able to test them until a couple of months later, but when I can connect them up for a listen, what should I be watching for or paying attention to? I am prepared for the worst case scenario, but in that case, any suggestions as to what to do with them other than throwing them away? I understand that the spare parts are hard to find. Thank you for all your help in advance.

You, my friend, just got a major score. Speakers in general are reliable components, and these are recent enough that you probably won't need to make any repairs to the crossovers. All of the drivers are most likely repairable if there ends up being something wrong, so let us know here what you find and we can help you out.

When you connect them to your system, just start at a low volume and listen for anything that doesn't sound right. If you hear distortion, try to determine which driver it's coming from. There are no controls on them so there's really nothing to adjust.

Thank you. As I said I won’t be able to hook them up until after a couple of months, but I will surely take close up pictures of the drivers and post here.

Wow. They’re worth 10 times what you paid. Congrats! There are guys on here that would kill to get that kind of deal. Myself included. These are very serious speakers that will blow tons of others out of the water.

I would be VERY surprised if there is anything wrong with them. They may only need new foam on the woofers and that’s an easy and cheap fix. So don’t fret. You did very well.

Yep yep u did well indeed. I don't know what your running now but you may be very please when u get them running.

Congrats!

Hit the Inifinty forum if you haven't already. Those cats are a wealth of knowlage.

Woofers are rubber surround, and shouldn't need anything.

Talk about a score!

look closely at the HE EMITS, and EMIMS make sure they're relatively flat, and not bubbled.

fantastic speakers, they require good upstream components.

fantastic speakers, they require good upstream components.
That's a good point. You won't be able to get the most from them using a middle of the road home theater receiver. But when you're ready, give us the details and we'll be happy to make recommendations.

That's a good point. You won't be able to get the most from them using a middle of the road home theater receiver. But when you're ready, give us the details and we'll be happy to make recommendations.

Well, I used to have Adcom GFA 555 driving B&W 603. I was asking about upgrading a while back at AK. One thing I heard from more than one person is that Adcom is too harsh for classical music listening. So I sold it. That is why I don’t have anything to test out the speakers at this point. Before getting these speakers, I have started looking into used B&K and Rotel. Now I suppose this has changed the plan a bit. But I am not sure whether I am ready to splash into the class of Krell or Aragon. Getting these speakers is a little bit of serendipity. Are amps like B&K of Rotel (150 or 200 w) considered as an adequate companion for these speakers?

yeah, those will do, but IMO, the adcom GFA 555 is a better amp then either you've mentioned. (except Krell or Aragon, those are great amps) I had the Bryston and then totl Rotel and it never did sound all that good to my ears, when I went back to my old carvers I was happier.(long story, but it went, Carver M 1.5 - bryston 4bst - Rotel RB 1090 - then back to Carver M 1.5 and PM 1.5 and PM 350)

I drive my Ren 90's with vintage Carver pro amps 450 wpc @ 4 ohms, and also with modern lepai 7498 chip amp @ 100 wpc 4 4 ohms

7.62 drives his with iirc QSC pro amp, or maybe it's a crown. can't recall. He'll chime in when he sees this thread. He just missed another pair on ebay this week

Yep sure did.....dang it. Can't speak on the Krell or Aragon but I imagine those would be fine amps for the 80. Also I would think B&K, something like the sonata mono blocks would be a killer match. Your thinking right that's for sure.

I'm doing the 90's with the Crown D.C. 1502 & on the cheap it works very well. I'm also using the Anthem Pre2L SE so that helps tame any harshness. Congrats on your new speakers. I know for me I'd have to have a subwoofer with them but they are awesome speakers. Everything I've researched says the 80 was the better speaker.

Hey wait....did you outbid me on eBay....you heathen.....LOL.

Which auction was it? The most recent completed one ended at $380.

Sorry for the confusion, I thought 7.62 was saying he was bidding against you to get this set. I think he was talking to jazzmans. Or something. I'm all confused. Obviously.

Sorry for the confusion, I thought 7.62 was saying he was bidding against you to get this set. I think he was talking to jazzmans. Or something. I'm all confused. Obviously.

No worries. I got the speakers! Man they are HEAVY! Will post some close up pictures tonight.

I have a Rotel RB-990BX that I think would work just fine with my RS II's (using a Crown instead). I think a similar one would work for your Ren 80's.

Back
Top Bottom