1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity Renaissance 90

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by O au-d11mK2, Aug 16, 2018.

1. O au-d11mK2

O au-d11mK2 New Member

Thoughts about this for one of my Sansuis?
    I have AU9500, AU-D11mk2 & AU-x911DG.
    The two last are rated conservatively @120w8ohm.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jazzmans

jazzmans Super Member

They'll play on your sansuis, but you need a lot more power in my opinion.
    I drive mine with a Carver TFM-25, 225 wpc @8, but 350@4, which is where the ren's fall.

They are 'forever' speakers for me, I love, love, LOVE their sound.

Tedrick and Depecheduran like this.
  3. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

^ gotta go with that, brother your never gonna hear what they're capable of without a good high current amp.

The difference is stunning. Current owner myself.

Tedrick and Depecheduran like this.
  4. Tedrick

Tedrick Infinity-phile Subscriber

+2. Big vintage Infinity's need high-current solid state amps on the woofers to sound their best.

5. O au-d11mK2

O au-d11mK2 New Member

Thanks, that leaves me with a follow up question.
    A crown amp, a rotel (bridged) or a sansui b2301? All capable of more than 300@4ohm.
    These are hypothetical amps based on local availability. I could also hold on for a bit and go for 2krell or the likes.
    The essence of my question is: are W equal? used as power amp, does the pre colour the most?

Anny and al thoughts are most welcome!

6. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Krells would be the way to go if budget allows. Or something similar like Aragon.

7. jazzmans

jazzmans Super Member

I'd go for the crown before the Rotel, my 1080 never did wake up my Rens like my Carvers do.
    That sansui Looks fantastic, but I've no experience other then with their vintage receivers (great amplifiers)
    my buddy says his krell makes the rens (and every other speaker he's driven) sound better then anything else he's heard including my carvers, so that sounds like a good choice, and you can't go wrong with a proper Aragon amp. just to help muddy the waters more.

as I type, rocking out to 'In My Time of Dying' from the 2014 remaster of 'Physical Graffitti' on my Ren/carver combo and it totally kicks.

7.62 likes this.
  8. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

Ahh ahaha, damn we must be connected Jazz, yesterday I did the full Physical Graffiti on Cd with the living room system while cleaning house on the 2.5's, it was glorious ! Personally I think they smash every speaker I have, detail, bass, midrange is exceptional. A very underestimated speaker.

I need to bring my rens out and relisten again on the Krell which improves everything I've ever hooked to it.

I'd have to recommend a crown for the op on the cheap, I know the 1502 xls will wake the 90's but so much depends on the rest of the ride to them. You'd get some decent performance while saving for a Krell, McIntosh or something along those lines.

When I run my 90's on the Krell KSA 80, Symphony preamp running gold lion 12ax7's it is spooky, chill bumps how good they are.

9. O au-d11mK2

O au-d11mK2 New Member

Sounds like I should hold out for a proper dual mono 300-500. The KSA80 sounds low ?
    This now brings me into the high end territory of krell AR classée McIntosh ML and the likes. Was not planing on going there yet...
    But if money was no object a thing like the matching set of
    dandagostino momentum pre and stereo would be nice. Listed locally...

I sense I may have a long term relationship with sound, that is just opening...

10. uvafan420

uvafan420 LiKe It LoUd

That is 80 Krell watts btw :). And it doubles its output into lower ohms. 640w/ch at 1 ohm. Which is most important to speakers like the old Infinitys.

11. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

Ah...yup ! I can assure you the 80 has NO problem driving the 90's. Here's my set up until we move to the bigger room.
    IMG_2229.JPG
    I listen to a lot Jazz, soul, symphony, really everything. Very little these won't do well. Women's voices, and really well recorded music can be hair raising.

12. O au-d11mK2

O au-d11mK2 New Member

would the kav 250a, be an opion?
    Could also get an integrated an kav300i is listed for almost 1/2 of the kav 250a ....
    But I have a feeling the integrated Kav are not quite as good as the power.

13. Guest124

Guest124 Member

I was driving my previous Ren 90's with a Classe Cap-2100 integrated which was putting out 200 watts @4 ohms with good current, and it struggled to drive the Rens in my medium size room due to those power-hungry Watkins dc woofers. However the bigger Classe CA-2200 power amp was a popular choice with a tube preamp like ARC up top. Hence, i'd recommend atleast a 200 watt ss amp with a stable psu.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  14. O au-d11mK2

O au-d11mK2 New Member

Quick question, a vintage Threshold a400.
    class A 100w @8ohm... hos would IT do for a pair of ren90.
    I have also stumbled upon a pair of ren80’s, a big step down form 90’s ? Price is about 3/4.

Thanks again!

15. jazzmans

jazzmans Super Member

Some consider the 80's to actually be better then the 90s, I've only heard 80's once, and they sounded fine, but less bass.
    that threshold being class A probably would do well, but I'm a firm beleiver in more power. however...

This is the amp that started high end as we now know it. Volumes upon volumes of reviews, and lavish praise have been heaped upon this classic Threshold 400A amp,delivering 100 watts rms per side in Class A output.

This is the amp that forever established not only Threshold but Nelson Pass as well, as one of the most gifted of audio designers. A true visionary product from the mind of Nelson Pass.

To say that the 400A caught the audio world by complete surprise is a major league understatement. Solid state prior to this time was not held in to high regard, except the power amps from CM Labs. But here for once was a major technical break through in solid state running in Class A and at that time an unheard of 100 Watts RMS per side. The sonics were to die for and the control and musicality this amp put on speakers were nothing less than a tour de force, that one does not often experience in life in any medium. I remember sitting for hours in a dealers show room listening to the 400A and playing damn near every musical genre I could find, jazz,classical,rock and just sat mesmerized by what I was hearing. Just one jaw dropping experience after another!

16. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, that's not just any amp. That said, make sure it's in good shape or plan to have it serviced, and the service won't be cheap.

17. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

I'd jump on those 80's given the chance.

Bahamayellow likes this.
  18. 432HzBob

432HzBob Addicted Member

I'd get the 80's.
    I'm an Infinity fan"stuck" with a lowly pair of RS6's that to me sound wonderful..
    Seeing 80's and 90's come up for sale seems pretty rare.
    People just don;t get rid of them.

19. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

I'll just throw this out for you, I'm a nobody so FWIW. If you do some research you'll find the guys that did this series, some felt the 80 WAS the better speaker in integrating the drivers. I've owned 2 pairs and seriously I regret selling only 2 sets of speakers. My second set of 80's and my Carver AL-lll's.

That second set I sold BTW ended up on eBay a week later parted out, so another pair gone.

If the opportunity ever comes again I'd snatch up a pair of the 80's in a hot minute. As Jazzman mentions the bass is clean but not thumpy. You add in a good subwoofer and I can't imagine not having a super nice sound system. It would also in my opinion really open up your amplifier choices as the (IMHO) 80's don't require the same muscle as the 90's.

;).

20. okeeteekid

okeeteekid Well-Known Member

To me the Ren 80 does not sound better than the Ren 90.

I spoke with Bill Watkins years ago and asked him which speaker sounds better and he told me he likes that the Ren 80 has a flatter frequency response at around 140hz compared to the Ren 90.

Bill said he didn't have enough time to get a flat frequency response in the crossover point from the woofer to the mid bass driver in the Ren 90 so the Ren 90 has a140hz rise in frequency at that crossover point, he said if Infinity would've gave him more time he could have got it flat but at the time infinity was rushing him to finish so they could put the Ren 90 into production.

That said I like the 140hz peak that the Ren 90 has, to me it gives the speaker a little warmth, I had both the Ren 80 and Ren 90 in the same room 15 x 19 and to me the Ren 90 is more/better speaker, the 90 has a larger 3d like soundstage, better mid bass detail, the bass goes deeper and hits harder and is more accurate because lower vocals are not coming out of the woofer, if your room is smaller the Ren 90 might be too much speaker and you might be better off with the 80.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    scottykarate and 7.62 like this.