Infinity Renaissance

uvafan420

LiKe It LoUd
It is time to do some A/B comparisons between the two. Though to be fair to both speakers, I have to wait for my main amplifier to get back from Krell (as seen missing in one of the pictures). It is there getting some tlc. Just to get a listen though, I ran some temporary speakers cables to another of my amps.

LMs3ptg.jpg

jGQtGcC.jpg

It is time to do some A/B comparisons between the two. Though to be fair to both speakers, I have to wait for my main amplifier to get back from Krell (as seen missing in one of the pictures). It is there getting some tlc. Just to get a listen though, I ran some temporary speakers cables to another of my amps.

LMs3ptg.jpg

jGQtGcC.jpg

YES! I will definitely be following this thread. My friend just bought a pair of Ren 90's and I have Kappa 9's and he has Kappa 8's, so I'm very interested in knowing what you think. Also, what Krell amp do you have? Gorgeous listening room btw!

Nice !!! I noticed the pair gone on the bay, did you pick them up ? I've been so busy can't wait for the weekend.

Nice !!! I noticed the pair gone on the bay, did you pick them up ? I've been so busy can't wait for the weekend.

Yes, I made him an offer for them. Not sure if he was the original owner, but they were very well cared for. And they came with the original owner's manual and technical sheets that look like new. Which leads me to believe they did not trade hands much, if any.

YES! I will definitely be following this thread. My friend just bought a pair of Ren 90's and I have Kappa 9's and he has Kappa 8's, so I'm very interested in knowing what you think. Also, what Krell amp do you have? Gorgeous listening room btw!

My main stereo amp is a Krell KSA250. The way it handles the mid bass and bass is light years above the amps I have tried in the past. It also sounds really close to tube amps on the top end. For the price you can buy them for today, and the price you would pay to buy a new amp that compares to it, they are really a steal to save up for. Just got to get the caps etc... serviced due to age on occasion, as they run hot.

But after hearing the Kappa 9.1 with it for quite a few years, it would be unfair to judge the Renaissance until I get it back.

My main stereo amp is a Krell KSA250. The way it handles the mid bass and bass is light years above the amps I have tried in the past. It also sounds really close to tube amps on the top end. For the price you can buy them for today, and the price you would pay to buy a new amp that compares to it, they are really a steal to save up for. Just got to get the caps etc... serviced due to age on occasion, as they run hot.

But after hearing the Kappa 9.1 with it for quite a few years, it would be unfair to judge the Renaissance until I get it back.

Oh wow, that's really good to hear! :) I have been eyeing a KSA 300s for some time now! They literally sound perfect for my K9's. After all the reviews I have read and what you just said, I am sold on these amps. Can't wait to hear what you say it sounds like on the Ren 90's. Keep us posted!

Nice!
I predict the Rens will handily outdoo the 9.1's in all ways except in total bass output, but including accurate bass output.

At least that's my personal experience with them vs kappa 8.1, Crescendo 3009, kappa 7.1.

That's just a great lookng pair of two uvafan, really congrats man ! I have to ask about the 9.1, did they come with factory provisions for the rear spikes?

The reason I ask is the 8.1 from the factory does not, fromt only. the rear has little rubber bumbers with a nailset.

Fabulous set up. Love it. I know nothing about Infinity just a dream about the big RS1 (I believe that is what the 4 speaker tower system is called) and love your set up. Kudos!

Thanks. Two of my brothers and I built my room. Still got to get around to decorating it and some final touches, but it is coming along. The big monster Infinity speakers were the Infinity IRS V. Lots of people dreams of those :) But you would also have to dream of a house with a large enough room to put them in, as they require quite a lot of space.

That's just a great lookng pair of two uvafan, really congrats man ! I have to ask about the 9.1, did they come with factory provisions for the rear spikes?

The reason I ask is the 8.1 from the factory does not, fromt only. the rear has little rubber bumbers with a nailset.

Yes, the 9.1 originally came with Spikes. The 9.1 takes 4 spikes per speaker (on all corners), unlike the 3 on the Renaissance. Both sets of speakers use the exact same spikes (well except for the adjustable one on the back of the Renaissance).

Nice!
I predict the Rens will handily outdoo the 9.1's in all ways except in total bass output, but including accurate bass output.

After listening to both in and out with 2 spare Kenwood M2A amplifiers I have, I can see why people sometimes say this regarding the Kappas. The bass has dramatically suffered with the absence of a large high current amplifier. I certainly can't wait for my main amp to get back. With that one amplifier, the woofers are a lot more controlled/tight/hard hitting. I noticed it a lot more having heard them on my main amp for so long.

I will reserve most of my personal opinions until my amp gets back, but the one 10 is quite impressive in the Renaissance, with even the Kenwood amps. Obliviously it is not 4 12s, but it hits pretty good. While listening to the Renaissance I am constantly thinking, man, what 2 10s would have done for this speaker. I am sure the Krell will bring them out of their shell though, and take some of that thought away. That is that amplifiers specialty.

I pulled the 8.1's tonight, disconnected my sub and ran some of my favorite music..beatles, mad season, zappa, jaysom, etc.

I just don't know right now but I give the nod to the 8.1. While the 90 is a fine speaker in all regards the 8.1 is just very right for me.

Last edited:
I pulled the 8.1's tonight, disconnected my sub and ran some of my favorite music..beatles, mad season, zappa, jaysom, etc.

I just don't know right now bit I give the nod to the 8.1. While the 90 is a fine speaker in all regards the 8.1 is just very right for me.
You are use to the 8.1's, listen to the Rens for a week or so to get use to their sound and then go back to the 8.1's.

I like my k9's but if I listen to my epsilons for an hour or two then switch back to the K9's I find myself thinking how the hell did I like listening to the k9's, their drivers and cabinet add so much coloration to the sound especially the polydome but then if I listen to them for a while my ears get use to the way they sound again, great, that's why I hate comparing my speakers, I could live with either one.

I don't know what you are driving them with but I know that the Rens will reveal poor recordings and equipment and make the music sound bad where as the kappas are more forgiving.

Last edited:
7.62 hasn't listened to the 8.1's in a couple of weeks, he's been using the rens. Today was the first time he listened to the kappas since he put them away.

I totally understand his feelings, the kappas have the most liquid midrange I've heard (except for maggies...) I;ve been in love ever since I first heard them. But, to my ears, they aren't nearly as accurate as the rens, which means flaws will be heard much more easily with rens vs kappas.
The emim is simply an amazing transducer,, it doens't add anything or take anything away from the sound that isn't there.
The same holds true of the emit, and especially the 'hi power emit' that the rens have.

It's a trade off, accuracy vs warm, lush sound.
I think this is a reason why many people end up staying with 'mid-fi' as it's a lot easier to listen to a lot of music that was recorded or mastered badly.

of course, that's just my opinion.

(edit to add)
I hadn't read okeeteekids post past the first line, funny I think we are saying the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom