Infinity RS 2.5 crossover -- capacitor replacement

Could you please tell me if you are of the opinion that the use of 2 500uf and a 400uf Bennic capacitors in parallel to simulate an Infinity 1400uf cap is insufficient???

Thanks

That's basically my dilemma now, too.

Do I keep the new 500+500+100, or would 11 x 100uF new electrolytics be better, or just put back old 1100uF?

When you deign to jump in and start changing things from what the manufacturer built, these are the kind of decisions that have to be made. Said decisions can be doubly hard when we're talking about replacing things that are pretty much unobtanium, like 1100µf & 700µf 100V non-polar large can electrolytic capacitors.

EchoWars, thanks for the comments.
I've already done the recap. What sort of effects should I look out for if these caps used happened to be incapable of Infinitys design intention?
I still have the big cans:)

Last edited:
EchoWars, thanks for the comments.
I've already done the recap. What sort of effects should I look out for if these caps used happened to be incapable of Infinitys design intention?
I still have the big cans:)
If they can't handle the current, they'll get hot and self-destruct. At normal listening levels they'll probably do fine. The real test is when you decide to get frisky with the volume knob with some source material w/lots of bass.

Well, Solen has a 200µf. ;)

I'd build a crossover and put it in a separate enclosure...no more parts mounted to the back of the speaker.

That's what I did with my RSIIb's, got the 200uF Solens for the woofers, too.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
That's what I did with my RSIIb's, got the 200uF Solens for the woofers, too.

I just now looked at the schematic for the RSIIbs.
Wow. Theres only one 200uf cap on those woofers. There's big old value caps on the RSII.
You got off $cheap$:)

I just now looked at the schematic for the RSIIbs.
Wow. Theres only one 200uf cap on those woofers. There's big old value caps on the RSII.
You got off $cheap$:)

I wouldn't exactly say that...

Solens on the woofers and low mids, Mundorf Supreme and Duelund CAST caps on the rest, Audiocap Theta bypasses, Northcreek and Solen heptalitz inductors, Duelund resistors, Cards copper litz wire throughout - it adds up.

Wow. Wonder how much these cost. Nice find :thmbsp:

I submitted a request for quote on them from Marsh Electronics. I'll post here when I hear back. The specs look really good (to my novice eyes) -- they could definitely do the job. They're just huge!

EDIT: Mouser has similar caps (even bigger cans) that are a couple hundred each. Ouch.

Attachments

• Mouser Electronics DC Link Film Capacitors.pdf
    170.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Any guesstimates as to how much these huge poly caps cost.
Any wagers they are not high cost, though I certainly hope they are very reasonable:)

I have had an eye on the SBE caps on ebay for a while now. If you use the search term "ring capacitor" you will find the listing. Mounting and connections would be a little weird but I think they'd be hard to beat value wise. This is the datasheet:

http://www.sbelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/700D_300uF.pdf

I had come across those previously in my quest for the grail. They're 6" - 10" diameter and a couple of inches thick. Seeing how SBE manufactures for automotive, military, alternative energy, medical etc., I bet they are big $$$.

http://www.sbelectronics.com/power-ring-products/specifications/

I don't know if it is against the rules to post the dollar amount but the ones on the bay seem reasonable, considering that they were designed with high current in mind. Otherwise, for other values I'd make different choices.

Is it worth the time and effort to show these companies what we need and see if they can supply them? I have QLS1 x-overs I need to rebuild. Most of these are over kill for what we need aren't they? Somebody made the originals for Infinity like TI (previously mentioned). If we start with SBE and ask maybe they'll know another manufacturer that has something closer to ours. Who knows, they may have some old stock laying around.

Last edited:
FWIW. Here's a pic of Infinity crossovers from a pair of Quantum 4s.
I do believe the 3 330uf black w/red ends, wired in parallel,to be electrolytic. The "can" is 700uf.
Both capacitors look to be in very good shape visually and I presume Infinity used three smaller caps to create a larger value without worry(unless they were special caps).

Last edited:
Hello EchoWars, which aspect?
I got these(Q4s) straight from the Infinity factory in 1977 from an ex-girlfriends brother who worked there. Played them for 30+ on my trusty Yamaha CA-1000..alot of dance parties and videos:)

I should add these caps arent exactly small and seem to have some decent surface area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom