infinity RS 2.5 wiring trouble Maybe??

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by geph0007, Mar 13, 2017.

1. geph0007

geph0007 AK Member Subscriber

I went and put some upgraded terminals in my 2.5s. I noticed that on the high side we have a white wire to plus and a white and black stripe to minus. This matches the factory diagram. On the low side there are 3 red wires with black stripes together to one terminal and one orange wire to the other. This does not match the factory diagram (unless i am misreading it) For example there is no orange. What is happening here? This is a fairly early pair I think Thanks

2. goodolpg

goodolpg AK Member Subscriber

3. geph0007

Down at the speaker terminals . Rear plate where you hook your speaker cables up

4. geph0007

See this
    Note the high side white to plus white with black to minus Same as mine
    Note the low side On the diagram I see two red with black one black and one red. I have three red with black ( all together on one lug) and one orange. Does not appear to have ever been touched.

Attached Files:

5. goodolpg

goodolpg AK Member Subscriber

Over the years there have been lots of examples about the "official schematics" not matching "as produced" due to production line changes for various reasons.
    Parts shortages, crossover revisions, etc...
    At one time I wanted to get a pair of 1.5s, then I saw all the revisions that model went through.

That said, I assume they were working properly before, just hook them back up the same as they were.

6. geph0007

I realize that that is why I ask When you look at that what do you see going to low side of the rear terminals both plus and minus? My dual VC woofer leads do match the drawing which makes it even more weird.

7. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Is there a problem of sound or are you just trying to figure what's what?

Since the crossover is outboard, away from the terminal plate and the woofer itself, perhaps those "other" wires are input wires to form a connection between the crossover to transverse back down into the woofer cabinet and terminal???????

8. geph0007

There does not appear to be a problem with sound I was just putting in better terminals and noticed it did not match the diagram.. In fact now that I think I forgot but pretty sure the 3 red and blacks were to the minus side and the orange to the pos side I worked in the audio biz for years after these cam out and I have seen many strange thing so a production change would not surprise me but I am just wondering why there are 3 wires going to the minus and one to the plus and half do not match the drawing . I think the drawing shows 2 and 2?

9. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

My guess is that one of the red/black wires goes from the negative terminal up and out to the crossover.
    The orange from the positive input terminal up and out to the crossover.
    The two leftover red/black wires back down to connect to the negative voice coil leads on the Watkins.
    Ditto the one red, and the one black to the positive Watkins voice coil leads???

Could be a bit of a quagmire if connections are not correctly wired for phase.
    Send pictures and have fun and good luck.

10. geph0007

I think you hit it on the head