Infinity RS 225 refoam job with new stuffing question

classic carl

Without Music, Life Would B FLAT.
Subscriber
A friend of mine bought a pair of speakers from me and asked if I'd be interested in refoaming his old speakers. I just ordered the 6.5" foams from Simply Speakers. The Infinity RS 225 woofer has a black plastic trim ring on the outside of the frame. It's obvious that the new foam needs to be underneath the trim ring. I haven't tried too hard, but it appears that the trim ring may be glued on.

My question is, does anyone who has refoamed a pair of these know how to remove the trim ring without destroying it? Is it glued on or will it pry off with a little coaxing?

EDIT: See stuffing question in post #8

IMG_20170623_151806238.jpg

IMG_20170623_150631329.jpg IMG_20170623_150652910.jpg IMG_20170623_150705047.jpg

Last edited:
I refoamed a pair of reference 4's with the same rings. I used a small screwdriver and went slow around the speaker starting shallow and working in. Use caution around the drilled out areas as the one I ended up cracking split there. Good luck!

I refoamed a pair of reference 4's with the same rings. I used a small screwdriver and went slow around the speaker starting shallow and working in. Use caution around the drilled out areas as the one I ended up cracking split there. Good luck!

That, or a good sharp utility blade

Thanks guys. I used a small screwdriver. Once I was able to get it started, I was able to slide the screwdriver under the ring and it came off without much trouble.

When I went to install the refoamed drivers in the cabinets, there was no fill of any kind in them. I don't remember if there was filling in the cabs or not. I removed the drivers last summer and just refoamed them yesterday. I can't imagine that I wouldn't have placed the fill back into the cabinets if I removed it to inspect the xovers. Can anyone tell me if their RS 225 have insulation or fiberfill inside of them?

Back
Top Bottom