Infinity RS 2b Monster Cable colours to which tweeters.

frplanar

I sadly sold my RS 1b system last fall to an AudioKarma member here in Canada. Great guy and they have a great home. Since then I have come across a pair of RS 2b with refoamed bass drivers, crossovers and electronic bass EQ are very good and partly refreshed. Everything is excellant including cabinets and grills. There were no EMIMs or EMITs included. I have spares for all of my speakers and had a pair of 'Graz' diaphragms(never used them/never had to) and four more original EMIMs all samarium cobalt clams. Also four square EMIT's and four S-EMIT's(unfortunately the small EMITs from the 1b have the little square plate on the front mounted on the bottom where 2b is on the top. I would simply turn it upside down but of course the wires will not reach(I think?). That's not my problem. I can't figure out which wires go where on the tweeters. There are four wires with six ends. 1- long green with a black end, 1- long brown with a red end, 1- short blue with a black end, and 1- grey wire daisy chained with 3 ends, which are red(about same height as the blue wire) then a black and then another red. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea where they go or even a picture. I found lots of pictures of the back of these and can easily see the EMIM's are all wired the same in every picture but can't see the tweeter wiring. I assume the grey wire is positive and of the 3 connectors in the daisy chain, the black is still positive probably to put the rear one out of phase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you write to Harman International if they have the schematics they will send them to you. And don't forget to upload to AKDB...

Thank you Tubed for your effort. I have diagrams here that show this and even names each driver. Unfortunately I don't know how to read them. I still can't see this daisy chain thing in the diagram and from my very limited knowledge of these diagrams(if any), when I start at the speaker hook ups it looks like three of the wires hook to the negative line and three hook to the positive line and with my diagram naming the drivers it looks as though (two may be out of phase?). I can change diaphragms and do some minor repairs, r&r of electrical parts but that's about it. I still really appreciate your consideration. Thank you.

If you write to Harman International if they have the schematics they will send them to you. And don't forget to upload to AKDB...
Thank you Tubed for your effort. I have diagrams here that show this and even names each driver. Unfortunately I don't know how to read them. I still can't see this daisy chain thing in the diagram and from my very limited knowledge of these diagrams(if any), when I start at the speaker hook ups it looks like three of the wires hook to the negative line and three hook to the positive line and with my diagram naming the drivers it looks as though (two may be out of phase?). I can change diaphragms and do some minor repairs, r&r of electrical parts but that's about it. I still really appreciate your consideration. Thank you.
Thank you too N8Nagel. I guess I'm not all that quick with this stuff, including the computer thing also. I don't have one. Samsung S7 Edge that's it. Not too good with the phone. I was kind of hoping that someone would have a pair of these 2b with the original Monster wires and I could get a colour code for the tweeter hook ups. They are all ready just need the plug in the wires and flash them up. Cleaned the contacts and have perfect sized rubber foam stripping to seal the bass drivers, speaker terminals are sealed and I'll check everywhere for sre leaks once I get them moving. Really excited to hear them in the livingroom. Thank you for your help though. Greatly appreciated.

My IIb's have the original Monster wiring. To see how the tweeters are connected, both the blank panel and the tweeter on the back of the speaker will have to be removed. I will try to get some photos tomorrow and post them.

My IIb's have the original Monster wiring. To see how the tweeters are connected, both the blank panel and the tweeter on the back of the speaker will have to be removed. I will try to get some photos tomorrow and post them.
Thank you Tedrick. That's super. I've never really done any of this forum type stuff although I have read several. I figured out how to start one of these threads this evening and put one up in general because if I recall, the thread I found you in last night was from 2011 and I figured you wouldn't see it. I am an absolute newbe with this and I'm sure I will learn. Thank you for your offer to help. Thank you too for your consideration. Just a few replies and seems like a nice bunch here. Have a good evening.

Thank you too N8Nagel. I guess I'm not all that quick with this stuff, including the computer thing also. I don't have one. Samsung S7 Edge that's it. Not too good with the phone. I was kind of hoping that someone would have a pair of these 2b with the original Monster wires and I could get a colour code for the tweeter hook ups. They are all ready just need the plug in the wires and flash them up. Cleaned the contacts and have perfect sized rubber foam stripping to seal the bass drivers, speaker terminals are sealed and I'll check everywhere for sre leaks once I get them moving. Really excited to hear them in the livingroom. Thank you for your help though. Greatly appreciated.

OK I will write to them then and see what happens because I got the schematics for my RS-5b from them as I could not find them downloadable online. I did find the magic way to download Harman/Kardon docs but I did not figure out how to get Infinity stuff.

Hopefully Tedrick and mine are the same so I checked mine to get another confirmation. Mine are wired thus: top tweeter (top tweeter is uhf the thin variety emit) positive to brown wire negative to gray. Bottom tweeter positive to gray negative to blue. Rear tweeter positive to gray negative to green.

This seems to match the schematic above with the rear and bottom tweeter out of phase for some reason...After you get them running post a comparison of them vs RS1.
Jim

Hopefully these show what you need.

Attachments

• IMG_20180113_134727.jpg
    IMG_20180113_134727.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20180113_134736.jpg
    IMG_20180113_134736.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180113_135028.jpg
    IMG_20180113_135028.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 33
Tedrick, very interesting mine are wired different. Mine the uhf and rear tweeter are reversed...I'll check the other speaker. The wires are bent up in there as such on mine they almost could not go the way yours are. Thanks for the picks. Maybe I'll try them the other way if they are long enough.

Hi again Tedrick. Just got back home and checked my phone. N8Nagel sent me a written description of the wiring and now have your pictures. Thank you both so very much. This is what I need! Looking at the schematics that I already had, it shows both the front and rear tweeters out of phase and only the UHF tweeter in phase. Strange I think. I also notice the magnets on your tweeters resemble a couple tweeters of my 1b's which were much thicker. I'll get hold of AL who bought them last fall and see if he can tell me which ones. I left the completely stock the way I got them and the guy who owned them before me said he never messed whith them either. I'll ask AL if he would write down the part numbers. The spare 1b tweeters which I installed in the 2b are: 490123 and the UHF is: 902-2252. Do you think this could cause any problems. The technical manual I have calls only for 902-5086 and also has no mention of the small EMIT although in wiring of the passive crossover it has a UHF tweeter. The technical manual is REV A 7/98 directly from INFINITY SYSTEMS, INC. Woodbury, New York. I'll take pictures of the three pages and see if I can figure out how to send them to AK or to yourself and I'm sure you would know how to put them on AK
Tedrick, very interesting mine are wired different. Mine the uhf and rear tweeter are reversed...I'll check the other speaker. The wires are bent up in there as such on mine they almost could not go the way yours are. Thanks for the picks. Maybe I'll try them the other way if they are long enough.

. One page shows each wire number and length in " to each of the 8-individual drivers. Another page is the passive crossover in detail with the drivers named and which wires go to which driver. Last page is the schematics for the bass control equalizer. I also have an in depth owners manual consisting of 21 pages. This all came with the speakers. I have all of this for the 1b's also. I don't have the schematics for the 1b at this time though because I dropped the feedback servo unit off with a tech freind to be refurbished. I spoke with Greg Schug who was the original designer of the 1b electronic crossover(Infinity farmed it out to PS Audio back in the day) for an upgrade of the servo circuit, separate power supply and over all rebuild which is what I should really do but I just can't afford to at this time. Yes, I have another RS 1b system but that'a whole other story. Thanks again.

OK I will write to them then and see what happens because I got the schematics for my RS-5b from them as I could not find them downloadable online. I did find the magic way to download Harman/Kardon docs but I did not figure out how to get Infinity stuff.
I actually have everything you are going to write for. I'll have to educate myself on how to get the information to you. As I was explaining, I have a limited understanding of the schematics but better than 50%. Hopefully I can get this done by tomorrow evening. 3-page technical manual includes wire length and numbers, passive crossover schematics with individual driver wiring and schematics for the active electronic bass equalizer. Plus a 21 page in depth owners manual. I have all of this for the 1b also. I have never been active in any of this forum stuff before but I've read for hours. I've typed more on my little phone in the past 2 days than I have in the last 6 months(texts included) and I don't own a computer. I can cover more ground in a 15 minute phone conversation than I can with 2hrs of playing with these texticles but that is responder sensitive because I'm not just going to throw my phone number out to just anyone either. Understandable of course. Once again, I truely am thankfull for you time and effort. I am also going to try to get this information to Tedrick also. If you guys know a way I can do this just once it would work even better. Probably just send it to either one of you and the other can see it and download it anyway but I'm entering an educational process her and I hope I can supply this to everyone properly. If you get a chance, just let me know what I should do. Thanks again.

I'm stalled out once again. The enthusiast I purchased these wonderful speakers from informed me that he was running the bass actively with a different crossover but as I understood, I thought he wired them back up to the passive crossover which I see may not be the case. There are cut(open) wires in the cabinet. I have a TDM active 24db two way crossover I can use which is very good but I think these 2b run 6db slopes. Do you or anyone else feel that I could put the TDM before the Infinity bass equalizer and run them direct with another amplifier? Just trying to listen to them. Just hoping.

I'm stalled out once again. The enthusiast I purchased these wonderful speakers from informed me that he was running the bass actively with a different crossover but as I understood, I thought he wired them back up to the passive crossover which I see may not be the case. There are cut(open) wires in the cabinet. I have a TDM active 24db two way crossover I can use which is very good but I think these 2b run 6db slopes. Do you or anyone else feel that I could put the TDM before the Infinity bass equalizer and run them direct with another amplifier? Just trying to listen to them. Just hoping.
That's a bit beyond my experience. I've bi-amped my IIb's with very good results, but never tried an external crossover.

That's a bit beyond my experience. I've bi-amped my IIb's with very good results, but never tried an external crossover.
I want to pull the crossovers get them wired up properly and might as well have them checked out. They used pretty good parts in these but I'm wondering if there should be something commonly replaced in them without going into a full rebuild/upgrade. The gentleman installed a pair of speaker terminals on the side of the lower cabinet for the bass drivers and I could easily hook them up to those again and run my two way and just put another amp on. 24db is probably steep for these but won't hurt anything. They just may not sound right. Still want to put the bass equalizer in the mix after the 2/way but haven't a clue what that will do. Probably just going to suck it up and remove the crossover but that is very concerning. I have removed the 5 screws and of course they applied glue to the back side and I'm afraid of breaking it. I'll find some thin metal wedges and simply cross my toes. If this works I'll be puting several 'thin' foam or rubber strips on the back to create an air seal before I screw it back in. Was really looking forward to flashing these up. Oh well. Just have to wait to compare their sound to the K9's at a later date. Glad I didn't unpack the other amp already and drag it into the living room. My pre-amp has 4 outputs and I'm going to put identical amplifiers on each set and do a (semi)true A/B, Just have to turn the gains down on one amp and up the others. (Semi) means that the speakers would be placed in different positions but I'll probably switch them around after a while and compare them again. Thank you for your replies.

Hopefully Tedrick and mine are the same so I checked mine to get another confirmation. Mine are wired thus: top tweeter (top tweeter is uhf the thin variety emit) positive to brown wire negative to gray. Bottom tweeter positive to gray negative to blue. Rear tweeter positive to gray negative to green.

This seems to match the schematic above with the rear and bottom tweeter out of phase for some reason...After you get them running post a comparison of them vs RS1.
Jim
Did you try switching your tweeter wires around in your 2b ?

Did you try switching your tweeter wires around in your 2b ?
No not yet, they are in the wings as I have been running the QLS for a couple years. The way mine are wired does match the schematic if I am looking at it rightthough. Never any lack of top end for sure on those. Pretty common on Infinity speakers to have the tweeter out of phase if the schematics are correct.
Jim

H
No not yet, they are in the wings as I have been running the QLS for a couple years. The way mine are wired does match the schematic if I am looking at it rightthough. Never any lack of top end for sure on those. Pretty common on Infinity speakers to have the tweeter out of phase if the schematics are correct.
Jim
Heard a pair of Quantun 2 about 15 years ago. I thought they were quite pleasant. Never went that direction and never bought any. I don't know why. As for a compairing the RS 1b/2b, I haven't run the 1b since somewhere around September last year but considering I had them for about +/-8 years and my memory is not too bad, I should hopefully be able to give a somewhat valid comment. My 'new?' 1b will be an entirely different animal except for Arnie's Genesis creation. May even surpass them but only time and patience will tell (and wishfull thinking). What do you drive a QLS with?

Back
Top Bottom