Infinity RS 4000 .. what is the knob on back?

TaddNOhio

I purchased a pair of Infinity RS 4000 speakers recently at a local thrift store for $5.99 for the pair. The cabinets looked new, i had to replace all 4 surrounds as they were rotted and falling apart.

Questions ... never seen tweeters like these before, they are the EMIT K ribbon tweeters, does the knob on the back of speaker control the tweeters? All new to me sorry

Going to hook these up later today and see how they sound (hopefully they work)

Anyone have these speakers? I have just over $30 in them including the new foam surrounds so i'm not out much regardless

20180618_072147.jpg 20180618_072336.jpg

Had two pairs for a while before selling them off. Great speakers, kicking myself for never recapping them. They love a good amount of power behind them.

The EMITs are planar tweeters and embody what we love about infinity; that is, crisp, clear and extended highs. I think the Marantz will be OK as long as you keep the volume at reasonable levels.

20180618_160954.jpg 20180618_160936.jpg 20180618_160849.jpg 20180618_160756.jpg
How do i clean the tweeter pot on back of these speakers? When i turn the knobs back & forth they are scratchy sounding and do not turn very smooth. I took the backplate off but not sure where to spray the deoxit ... (NEWBIE HERE) here is pics i just took

WOW WOW WOW !!! how come nobody talks about these RS 4000 w/ EMIT K tweeters?
I refoamed the subs and mids, cleaned pots good and all connections and hooked them up to my Marantz 2245 and they sound fabulous .. i have just over $30 in the pair and have to say they sound like a pair of speakers costing 10x that.
Still waiting on my audio stand to arrive (on back order) but i had to set my receiver, cd and tape deck up to test these speakers out.
... i may have to keep these !!!!!
20180619_011938.jpg 20180618_232449.jpg

Sweet! Now you understand why Infinity speakers have the reputation they have. That Emit tweeter is amazing, and I love every infinity with an emit, especially three ways. There is a 'sound' that every Infinity speaker from the origin to the end of the Emit/Emim/Polydome era shares.

Congrats! Enjoy them.

I used to run my Infinity Qb's off that same receiver. Very sweet combination. I'm betting you will be very pleased with the entire system once you get it set up and optimized for your space. I think your estimated value of 10x your $30 investment is a little overstated, but not by much. You done good!

I used to run my Infinity Qb's off that same receiver. Very sweet combination. I'm betting you will be very pleased with the entire system once you get it set up and optimized for your space. I think your estimated value of 10x your $30 investment is a little overstated, but not by much. You done good!

Whoa there, $300 in my opinion is cutting these babies short, just how many new $300 speakers would outclass them? Sure used I would expect to pay less, but thats not to say they aren't $300 quality speakers.

Just checked, these originally sold for $497 when new, inflation would make that quite a bit higher today.

Last edited:
WOW WOW WOW !!! how come nobody talks about these RS 4000 w/ EMIT K tweeters?
I refoamed the subs and mids, cleaned pots good and all connections and hooked them up to my Marantz 2245 and they sound fabulous .. i have just over $30 in the pair and have to say they sound like a pair of speakers costing 10x that.
Still waiting on my audio stand to arrive (on back order) but i had to set my receiver, cd and tape deck up to test these speakers out.
... i may have to keep these !!!!!
View attachment 1215698 View attachment 1215699
Dude,

Other than the picture of Urban Meyer, that looks like a nice setup! /S

Hey guys lets see I have a chance on a pair of Infinity RS-4000 asking $40 I offered $20 the cabinets are ok the mids need re-foam the tweeters are good but the woofers were replaced by the owner with some sony woofers not sure what model I can replace the foam on the mids myself how hard would it be to find a pair of woofers and is it worth it any input would be appreciated TIA

The tweeters alone are worth more than the asking price. You'll have to take your chances with eBay for replacement woofers, Infinity no longer has them. But many people are parting out their old speakers, so there's a decent chance you'd be able to get replacements.

thanks for the quick response I've heard good and not so good things about them also heard of some mods haven't looked into those yet
I will see if I can't nab these Thanks Again

I have a pair of these as surrounds, there good enough for me. They were professionally refoamed six months ago, paid 140 off of Craig’s for the pair. They didn’t have a scratch in them according to the guy till the exact day I picked them up. His girlfriends cat ran a claw down the side of one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 31
hey brunomarcs I picked up a pair of Kappa 7.1 last summer for $35 beat to heck I replaced the tweeters 1 was replaced with a motorola horn tweeter poly domes were falling apart the cabinets were scratched and fading but to my surprise it was oak veneer so I striped them re-stained Sadona red three coats and they look and sound so sweet so if the veneer is wood you can do some light sanding and stain them

Back
Top Bottom