INFINITY RS-5001 PRICE OPINIONS

crispa1

Hello, Happy Sunday to all. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. I have the REF 1 and 2 bookshelf I use with a Marantz 2220b, and absolutely love it, but I have been looking around for a ref 5 or close equivalent. I found a 5001 in good working condition, including the woofers as per the seller. He's not lowering his asking price of $140, I offered 120 saying that I still may have to re foam the woofers. He said that it doesn't need it. He seems to be a collector as he is selling a lot of the same type of towers. From the pic though, it seems like the woofers' surrounds have been done, but that's just my eyes. I still have to see it up close and listen to it. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF HIS ASKING PRICE OF 140? Is that a fair, granted that the woofers are in good shape, and all components work as it should? Thx again.

I have another pair I can get, but the dimensions are not ideal to where I'm putting it. small living room. And it's $60 dollars more. It's an Sm 152. I'm not into playing music loud, just mid level that sounds good. I also have an adcom gfa 535, and a matching pre amp to power the 5001 if I do acquire it.

Reactions: Tib
IMHO the RS-5001 are vastly superior to the SM-152.
The SM-152 are mostly about playing loud & the RS-5001 are mostly about sound quality.

The Adcom combo should work very well with the 5001's too,,,it should sound very nice if you ask me (I have the same gear here)...

As for price,if they've been refoamed that aint a horrible price,but it's not a super bargain either.
I got my RS-5001 from the original owner for $75.00 and they (still,,,DOH,,,LOL) need to be refoamed.
So figure in cost of new foams,the time to do them (if one even feels confident enough to do it themselves) and the price is'nt too outta line.

Now if the foams are'nt new,and he's saying they're fine,that becomes a difficult judgement call.
Mine looked fine,but they're pretty much DOA,I'm sure the first time they got fired up they'd be "dust in the wind" LOL.

Also you should check the cabinets & grills very closely,any issues with those would be deal breakers.
I say that as the grills are especially fragile on this model,as such replacements are few & far between.

As are the polyspherite mids,you gotta look those over closely as well.
Make sure the Emit ribbons look nice too.

FWIW ~ HTH

Bret P.

I have a pair of RS 5000.1's so I know what they sound like, they sound light years better than sm 152's, $140 is a bargain, I wouldn't sell mine for no less than $300 if I were to sell them which I'm not, IMHO they are Infinity's sleeper speaker and worth every penny.

Yes, buy the 5001 for $140. They're worth it. Much better than Reference 1, Reference 2, or the SM 152. You'll be pleased.

Well, got to listen to them today, but, ended up buying a pair of Advent Laureates for the same price. Long story short, the advents had more bottom end, and the Infinitys' were more on the mids. My living room can';t afford to have a separate powered sub to be installed. Also, for some weird reason, the pots on the Infinitys' didn't work. No matter what adjustments I make, the sound stayed the same. Thx again for all the ideas shared.

Hello, Happy Sunday to all. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. I have the REF 1 and 2 bookshelf I use with a Marantz 2220b, and absolutely love it, but I have been looking around for a ref 5 or close equivalent. I found a 5001 in good working condition, including the woofers as per the seller. He's not lowering his asking price of $140, I offered 120 saying that I still may have to re foam the woofers. He said that it doesn't need it. He seems to be a collector as he is selling a lot of the same type of towers. From the pic though, it seems like the woofers' surrounds have been done, but that's just my eyes. I still have to see it up close and listen to it. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF HIS ASKING PRICE OF 140? Is that a fair, granted that the woofers are in good shape, and all components work as it should? Thx again.
I have had the 5001's and the Reference Four at the same time and I preferred the Four's. The Polyspherite mid is ok but the 4" injection molded graphite cone sounded better(the polyspherite was a tad muddy in comparison) and Emit-R seemed to have slightly better dispersion than the K version. Both have solid well built cabinets and well designed crossovers. The Four does not have those unnecessary adjustable mid tweeter controls which just adds noise to the circuit. Some comment negatively that they do not have real wood veneer but that is irrelevant. Overall both are very good. You would have jump to expensive Kappa line to get significantly better sound.

Back
Top Bottom