Infinity RS-6000 stuff

Inspiribomb

Enjoy the journey
A couple weeks back I was browsing some ads and found a pair of mint Infinity RS-6000 (3-way, dual 10" polypropylene woofers, 200 watts) for 80 bucks :D I couldn't pass it up and got them that day. They have the EMIT tweeters, what are people's opinions of these? They definately have a distinct sound to them.

Also, I know I got an awesome deal, considering a pair with woofers that needed refoaming just went for 200 on ebay, but what would you expect the value of these mint speakers to be? Thanks!

You made a super score with those Infinities. I had a pair of Qb's and they were very good sounding speaker systems.
Well, as to value, we know that a pair that required refoaming the woofers sold for $200, so a very good pair should go up from there.

Wow!!!

The RS-6000's are up to over $500, and with almost 4 hours to go! I feel better and better about that purchase :banana: Any guesses what they will go for?

A/B Testing?

I notice that you have a pair of JBL L100s. Have you performed any side by side testing with the Infinity 6000s to compare the sound? I only ask because I recently acquired a pair of near mint Kappa 9s. I compared them against my long-time reference Legacy Focus and I actually like the sound of the Kappas better! Not quite as refined in the bass but soundstage, imaging and depth are phenomenal. You can find more info on Infinity classic stuff here:

http://www.top-audio.de/infinity_classics/body_index.html

Infinity produced some great designs in days of old...now their stuff is mass-market crap. The 6000s are probably pretty sweet sounding, but will take a bit more amp than your JBLs to make them sing.

BTW - You got one helluva deal on those babies! Congrats on the find.

Funny you should mention that...

because I was going to make a post about comparing the two. Here are the obvious differences.

1) The L100's are ported, and the bass tends to sound a bit more like a sub, but at the same time very clear and natural. The 6000's are "acoustic suspension" (sealed) with dual 10's, so the bass is a bit more punchy and tight.

2) The 6000's have the famous EMIT tweeters, which makes for incredible highs, but they can be almost unnatural at times. The mids are definately more realistic and natural on the L100's. I typically use the L100's when listening to most of my vinyl, but when I am listening to club type music (trance, house, etc) that involves a lot of cymbals, etc I usually use the 6000's. Its a pretty cool sound when I use both pairs of speakers in conjunction.

You couldn't be more right about needing more amp for the 6000's, my goodness they suck up the power! I don't know for sure, but I am guessing this has to do with speaker sensitivity, the JBL's are probably a bit more sensitive. I dunno, both speakers have their ups and downs, but I definately couldn't pass up that kind of deal :banana:

Inspiribomb said:
A couple weeks back I was browsing some ads and found a pair of mint Infinity RS-6000 (3-way, dual 10" polypropylene woofers, 200 watts) for 80 bucks :D I couldn't pass it up and got them that day. They have the EMIT tweeters, what are people's opinions of these? They definately have a distinct sound to them.

Also, I know I got an awesome deal, considering a pair with woofers that needed refoaming just went for 200 on ebay, but what would you expect the value of these mint speakers to be? Thanks!

First off EMIT tweeters ROCK!!! they stopped making them (I was told) because of the cost. They were getting too expensive. But they are an electrostatic speaker made from mylar and seem to last forever. Besides they have an amazing frequency response. I LOVE THEM!!! I even had them in my car speakers at one time, years ago in my RX-7. As far as replacing the surrounds ( thats the correct name for the foam) it only costs about thirty bucks a driver to do that and its no big deal. You got yourself quite a deal...Enjoy them :) aprox value to replace i would guess around $500.00- $1000.00 new. You done good! :)

Last edited:
Cmon, I know that the foam on speakers is called a surround, give me the benefit of the doubt :thmbsp:

Anyway, I am driving them with a Kenwood KA-9100, which I think is ample power to make these come alive. Any opinions on this?

Don't take it personal...

I wasnt trying to correct you or to be critical. I was merely using the correct teriminology since you didn't in your description. I am quite sure you know what a surround is, but many people do not. Let's face it they call the rear speakers in home theaters surrounds too. :) I just thought it would be useful to explain it to anyone interested...sorry if you felt slighted.
If your interested, look at some of the high end Onkyo Recievers. The 700 or 800 series are excellent, and have more then enough power for any speaker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom