Infinity RS II first listen

nelsress

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A while back I picked up a pair of Infinity RS II speakers at an auction that I've been looking forward to giving a listen. Well yesterday turned out to be a good day to take the RS IIIB's out of the system, move the RS II's in from the garage and hook them up. Now these RS II speakers are as found, I've done nothing to them whatsoever yet but my initial impression is that they're better in what seems to me to be original condition than the RS IIIB's I refurbished, and they sound pretty darn good themselves.

I've read here on this forum and elsewhere that the RS II's work best when a few feet away from the back wall but that's not an option here at our house so I've got them a foot away from the back wall but have to say that they still kick ass positioned like that!! I'll continue to play these a lot over the next few weeks, even when I'm not home, at low levels, in order to insure that the caps reform, just in case these speakers weren't in use before I got them, though I think they were.

I'm driving them with a WOPL 400 that I did a full comp mod on last winter and it seems to be a perfect combination. Wow and I'm more of a tube guy than a SS guy but this amp is awesome and whatever praise you may have heard about White Oak (and Joe's) mods IS true! Dead quiet, amazing headroom, crystal clear and so much reserve power, it's perfect for power hungry speakers like the RS II and the RS IIIB Infinities.

Since owning and living with a pair of RCA LC-1 speakers a most important criterion for me in rating a speaker is how does it sound at low volume? All the "very good" and "great" speakers, it seems to me, sound great when you crank them but too often I've found that at low levels there's just so much missing. My first impression of these Infinity RS II speakers is that they do sound very good at low levels. So, for my tastes, that's a big plus. Of course I did turn up the volume considerably too, I don't listen to everything, all the time at mid to low levels and again, they sounded very good. It seems that these speakers are deserving of much of the praise I've read that is heaped upon them but after only a day, I can't say all the praise...yet.

Great to see you are putting them to work. Wonderful speakers. You may like that midrange better than the dome on your IIIb. It is two way with the middle mid woofer doing much of the work. Mine were at my brothers for a couple years. Just gave them back to me because the one speaker developed a problem in the bass circuit.
Enjoy.
Jim

my set are about a foot from back wall, and about 8 feet apart ( the width of the fire place.) and they sound wonderful. sound stage was a function of AMP/Preamp. When I used yamaha cr1020 , sound stage was nor good. When I went to cx-2 pre and acurus a 250 , sound stage was truly amazing. They re great speakers. They never got great press in the US, but those of us lucky ones that own them know how great there are.

I concur that the RSII is a wonderful speaker.
They will sound bright in an untreated room, one without carpeting, hardwood floors etc.
I think they are an audiophile type speaker that excels when playing music at realistic listening levels, not too high nor too low.
Of course good to excellent quality recordings are in order.
Something I am meaning to do on mine is measure the large capacitor, especially for too much ESR.

Yesterday I put on a couple Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs LPs, Supertramp's - "Crime of the Century" and Rickie Lee Jones' - "Rickie Lee Jones" and I was NOT disappointed, both sounded great. My listening room has a thick, wool area rug, upholstered furniture and three windows and a door with drapes/curtains on them, which is probably why I didn't experience it being too bright, as "tubed" above referenced that an "untreated room" might exhibit. The RS II's exhibited clear, crisp highs, very smooth mids and tight, realistic lows. The more I listen to these, the more impressed I am and understand what the fuss is about when it comes to the higher end, classic Infinity speakers, like the RS II. It really makes me wish I had another, larger room that I could use as a dedicated room for these speakers and my White Oak Audio, full comp, Phase Linear 400 as they're a phenomenal match. I say this as I can't really get my ears any further away from the front of the RS II speakers than 10 feet and that's with the RS II's being almost against the wall in the back which, as mentioned earlier, is limiting them sonically, from what I've read. Today I plan to listen to a couple more MFSL LPs from my collection as well as a CD or two. Happy listening!

God bless old fashioned 4Ohm Infinities!
They;re known to break things.
It was them against the high powered 70's receivers and like the the dinosaurs were replaced by rats and horses, such did the room-sized Arnie Nudell works of art ignominiously end in a wimper in the foam-ringed polycell mouse called the RS 9b..
It was never the same after that unless you could pony up a whole lot more $ to get the "good stuff"/
These are my hybrid assembled "rat" infinities plumbed into a 1970 Panasonic/Technics 3 way 5/8" plywood walnut veneer cabinet and Kappa 6 XO,Rat Infinties,jpg.jpg

Wow, you've merged four different generations of components (plus the cabinets, which came before any of them). I would have thought that the woofer to midrange crossover frequency too low for the older polydome mids. Do those cabinets have the same volume as the Qa/Qb (which I assume is where the woofers came from)?

Qb woofs, Non-Kappa EMIT-R from an unknown model, RS6b Polydome and Kappa 6 XO all plumbed in to a 1970 Panasonic (Technics) Walnut veneer box I braced with oak and sealed.

I wanted old 4ohm 150 watt amp-eater Arnie Nudell Infinities with EMIT's, can never get lucky enough to find them, and so I built them myself.
Frankenstein for sure.
We're definitely on a budget here.

Last edited:
God bless old fashioned 4Ohm Infinities!
They;re known to break things.
It was them against the high powered 70's receivers and like the the dinosaurs were replaced by rats and horses, such did the room-sized Arnie Nudell works of art ignominiously end in a wimper in the foam-ringed polycell mouse called the RS 9b..
It was never the same after that unless you could pony up a whole lot more $ to get the "good stuff"/
These are my hybrid assembled "rat" infinities plumbed into a 1970 Panasonic/Technics 3 way 5/8" plywood walnut veneer cabinet and Kappa 6 XO,View attachment 808938

Nice! Good job. Also, are the 2 speakers mirror imaged? :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom