Infinity RS II SS amp recomendations

I have used a pair of Soundcraftsmen MA5002 or RA7502 No issues :) For my RS IIBs and my RS 4.5s. A single MA5002 for the Q5s

I have kappa 7s and renaissance 90s. After many different amps there are only two that have driven them with no effort. Mc 2205 and Mc 452.

acurus a 250 . available used for about $500 . make sure power light does not blink . later versions have detachable power cord. lots of clean power , runs cool .

I found my McIntosh MC7300 to be quite nice driving my RSIIs. Good luck! I grew up just South of Burlington, glad to see someone with a pair of RSIIs there!

A slight hijack but there's a lot of wise Infinitites here. I have heard that the RSIIIB are not the amp killers that some others in the line are because the woofers are wired in series. Truth or fiction? Will a solid 100wpc amp push them without issue? Say Adcom 545, Luxman 1120, MCS 3125, Sherwood 6040...?

Last edited:
A slight hijack but there's a lot of wise Infinitites here. I have heard that the RSIIIB are not the amp killers that some others in the line are because the woofers are wired in series. Truth or fiction? Will a solid 100wpc amp push them without issue? Say Adcom 545, Luxman 1120, MCS 3125, Sherwood 6040...?
Even though they are nominally 6 ohm speakers you will need a high power /high current amplifier that is capable of 2 ohm dips, rated output that at the very least doubles down at 4 ohms.
Even though Infinity recommends 50-200 watt amplifiers, you should go for 250- 400 watts per just to be sure:thumbsup:

Has nothing to do with the wiring. The IIIb's use a simplier crossover that doesn't try to increase bass extension with trick circuits.

You do not need 450 wpc to make the IIIb's rattle the walls. You can get by with 100 wpc that's happy driving a 4 ohm load. The Adcom GFA-545 you mention is a good option; skip the MCS and Sherwood. I used several 200 wpc high-current amps, including Adcom GFA-555 Mk II, Forte Model 3, and Forte Model 6, with my IIIb's with excellent results. Many Carver amps will work well, also, but I would avoid the TFM-22 and TFM-25. I had a TFM-25 for several years, and it just didn't mate well with these speakers...it didn't have the cajones to really take control of the woofers.

I am driving my RSII’s with a Nakamichi PA-7, The Nak was recently recapped and they sound Great together. I have a Denon POA-2800 I have been meaning to try but the Nak sounds so good I have been putting it off.
Mark

Nak and infinity go really well together. There have been some awesome recommendations made so far at all value points.

Hi All, I have a pair of Infinity RS IIs powered by an NAD T973. I got the amp at the same time as the speakers for its high current capabilities. As I am always keeping an eye out for different equipment available locally, I recently acquired a Hafler 9303. With RS IIs the Hafler has an authority and crisp detail that the NAD just doesn't have. Now I am thinking that I will keep an eye out for another Hafler and power each speaker with one in mono.

My question is what amps have people found enjoyable with Infinity speakers? I could sell the stuff that I have and get something entirely different. My budget at the moment is $1000ish.

Thanks for any input.
My Carvers all do just fine driving my IIbs, although I wouldn't mind big Krell/Aragon/Macintosh/AR iron.

(edit) doh!

Last edited:
Obviously the odd -man out here: SE KT-88's at 8 watts, (maybe) make my RSII's just sing.
I got several SS amps that can run them, but nothing sounds like my tubes.

my 2 cents Stu

Here is an impedance measurement of the RS-II from a test report I found elsewhere on AK. Note that it isn't terribly challenging until 6Khz, where it drops to (and stay at) 2 ohms. The test also found they aren't very efficient (85 db/w/m), which correlates with folks saying you need a big amp.

RSII Impedance.PNG

On the RS-IIa, I found a German review which found that the impedance drops to 1.6 ohms at 9 khz (depending on the tweeter level setting). They didn't offer a standard measurement for efficiency. It appears that they found it took 5.5v to produce 86 db at 3m. Too much math for me to figure out what that means in standard terms.

RS-IIA Impedance.PNG

On a related note, I finally got my pair of RS-IIIb setup yesterday and first tried an Emotiva XPA-200. It was no bueno. Lugged out my old, trusty Threshold Stasis 2 and was MUCH happier!

Back
Top Bottom