Infinity RS II

MVB

Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy some Infinity RS iis. The seller stated that the woofers have been reformed. From what I can see on the picture the dust caps seem to have been replaced too. I haven't listened to them yet or confirmed that the woofers are original. I am attaching the image from cl of the speakers. I am wondering how the change in dust caps will affect the sound. I hope to listen to them this weekend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-09-20-43-59-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-09-20-43-59-1.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 129
Thanks for the reply. If I get them the second part will be finding something to power them.
I don't think anything that I have will be up to the task. How do these in the range of the legendary
Infinity amp eaters?

Thanks for the reply. If I get them the second part will be finding something to power them.
I don't think anything that I have will be up to the task. How do these in the range of the legendary
Infinity amp eaters?
They're not "amp eaters" but get the best quality you can afford.

Infinity amp eaters?
They drop below 2 ohms in places. They are picky about which amps they kill or don't kill.
I use a Hafler XL-280, which gives me better than 300 WPC RMS when the impedance drops to 2 ohms. It'll run into 1 ohm just as easily.
BIG Yamaha amps are good with them

Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy some Infinity RS iis. The seller stated that the woofers have been reformed. From what I can see on the picture the dust caps seem to have been replaced too. I haven't listened to them yet or confirmed that the woofers are original. I am attaching the image from cl of the speakers. I am wondering how the change in dust caps will affect the sound. I hope to listen to them this weekend.

Those look like slightly later model Infinity woofers like used in RS 1B's. Should be ok though.
As mentioned, the RS II's drop down to 2 ohms, receivers are NOT recommended.
An amp with a 2 ohm rating is preferred.

Does anybody have any thoughts on a NAD T973. The guy that is selling the infinitiys also has the NAD for sale.
I could power in RS iis with the NAD until I get my dedicated music room setup. Then I could rotate the NAD into
my HT and get something else for the RS iis.

I would agree with running Yamaha Pro amps. But I am slightly biased. I wish I had my Yamaha Amps when my RSII's were fully operational. I will probably fix them next year.

At various times I've used Yamaha's M-70, M-80, and MX-1 to power RS IIs with no problems.

On the other hand, they drove my Sansui AU-919 into protection.

At various times I've used Yamaha's M-70, M-80, and MX-1 to power RS IIs with no problems.

On the other hand, they drove my Sansui AU-919 into protection.
Although I have no experience with the AU-919, I'm surprised the Sansui caved because of it's popularity.
I ran my RS II's with a Yamaha CA-1000,easily.
I'm always surprised when I hear of an Infinity causing an amp trouble but I've only had Yamahas amplifying my speakers throughout the years without a hint of trouble.

the woofers are NOT original as the woofer is one piece with intergrated dust cap. Are they good?. depends on sound, and price, I used a 70 watt/ channel Yamaha receiver for a long while, But speakers really performed with much more cleaner power. Acurus A250 power amp 250 watts to 8 ohms 350 watts to 4 ohms. RSII are essentially 4 ohm speakers that do go maybe 2 ohms some times.

the woofers are NOT original as the woofer is one piece with intergrated dust cap. Are they good?. depends on sound, and price.

Those look like the 902-227A's, the designated Infinity replacement woofers for the originals. -2279A's are a straight-sided cone; the originals were the hyperbolic cone.

Those dust caps might be original to the -2279A's. I don't believe that driver ever incorporated the clear poly dust cap of the original hyperbolic coned woofers.

Last edited:
Those are likely the factory replacements that Geoff mentioned. My RSIIs have the same woofers with the same black dust cones. They are fantastic. :D

(I'm originally from the Burlington area ... Woo VT!)

4GoUc6xl.jpg

eRk2LAWl.jpg

http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/RS_II_technical_sheet.pdf

Hi all, thanks for the information. I am getting the RS IIs on Thursday. I would pick them up today but I don't think they fill fit in my sedan. I can't wait!! I suspect that these are the replacement woofers but plan on confirming that they are Infinity woofers before I buy them. Jonny_Law mine are being sold from Barre and coming to Burlington. I sure am glad to find some close by.

Pretty sure they are Infinity woofers.
Are you aware they weigh close to 100 pounds each?
You may want a helper to load and unload them especially if there are steps or stairs involved.
Mine fit face to face in my PT Cruiser with the rear seat removed.

They are tricky to move by yourself. Little foot under the bass box gets broken very easy. Guess how I know...Those woofers are slightly newer infinity replacements which did not come with the fancy dust cap as Johnny pointed out. You will find a few picks of the RSII,IIb,IIIa/b with those woofers. Wonderful speakers, safe travels!

slimpikkins as usual gives solid advice ! They are awkward to move and heavy. Look forward to your after action report.

Once you get them in the house, to move them around get furniture slides. carpet = smooth plastic ones hardwood floors = ones w/ one side fuzzy (felt, maybe).
Home depot has them. much easier to slide around, and you aren't ripping the veneer on the bottom of the speaker.

Stu

I definitely have a hand truck ready to assist in the job. I love the idea of putting furniture slides under them. Especially, since I will probably be tweaking their location for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom