Infinity RS-IIa Value

Brunt

I'm thinking of putting my current primary set of speakers (Infinity IRS Sigmas) into temporary storage in order to better preserve them for when I have a more suitable listening room and amplifier setup as I'm renting now and there isn't really a good place for them. I have a line on a pair of relatively clean looking RS-IIa's that need refoaming but work otherwise, and was wondering what they are actually worth since I don't want to overpay and this is the first pair I've seen. More importantly, does anyone know how these will stack up against my Sigmas? I don't expect them to be as good but would like for them to be in the same general ballpark if possible.

I sold my pair for $650 about 3-4 years ago. They were in very nice condition, no issues at all. I was very happy with them until these JBL 4435's came along. The II's don't appear to have a much smaller footprint than the IRS Sigma's. They were pretty power hungry as well. I was usually driving them with a Carver Signature 600 so it wasn't an issue but they would send my Pioneer 1280 into protection mode.

BTW my daughter is visiting her aunt in SD right now. If you see her tell her to get home and stop goofing around. She's the one with red hair and talks Minnesotan.

JMO, I'd say around $1000 to $1500 depending on condition.
While I doubt they will best the Sigmas, plenty of folks like the RSIIa/b's and you should hear a familiar "Infinity family" type of sound.

I paid $1100 for my IIb's some 8-10 years ago. Since then, it seems that prices have held steady or slighty increased, so I think @goodolpg is on the mark.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to jump on these sooner rather than later then. I've been holding out for the right deal on a pair of Kappa 9s but then these popped up and for the price he wants I may have to scrap the Kappa 9 idea.

Any quick opinions on Kappa 9 vs RSIIa?

If you are getting older (like me), go Kappa 9's--they are brutal on amps, but they do everything well. I have had RSIIb's and even RSIb's, but they moved on as I needed more room for other "contenders". A 2.5 or 4.5 will do you justice as well.

I'll just add to this for the sake of adding info to the pile. Having owned big Infinity's with the clear poly woofers and then Kappa 7's and now Kappa 9's with the black IMG (injection molded graphite) woofers, the IMG's are much lighter, stiffer and therefore inherently "faster" and more accurate. The RSIb's were one of my "bucket list" speakers, but once I owned them and the Kappa 9's at the same time, I could hear the difference. Don't get me wrong--the RSIb woofer columns are formidable, but depending on what you were listening to, the clear poly woofers (being a thicker, heavier and more flexible cone structure), just don't keep up with the IMG woofers in the Kappa 9's. Now the dual VC Watkins woofers in the 2.5 and 4.5 are a whole different story.

Back
Top Bottom