Infinity RS IIb equalizer failure?

Montycat

Staff member
Subscriber
How critical is the RSIIb Equalizer and how can I best figure out why this one doesn't seem to work?

It came with a 220v power supply and is supposed to require 13-14v. I tried a universal power supply that puts out 12 and I am getting no apparent action from it. The LED is not coming on and it did not appear to pass through a signal.

What would be the most likely failure point in it?

If I don't get it working what issues will I have without it?

20171022_153131.jpg

20171022_153112.jpg

You won't hurt your speakers by running them without the external EQ. It's only meant to be a bass EQ, and it was an option (I think), and not a standard item with the speakers. From owners that use it, it's worthwhile to have, as it does improve the speaker's performance.

As to a repair? Not sure, since it's so proprietary. But, maybe contact member "Maxamillion", as he's the RSIIB expert around AK. He completely rebuilt his EQ, and hopefully he can help? Do a search for him too, as Maxamillion has some awesome rebuild threads in the Infinity Forum.

Good luck.

Thanks. I didn't really think the EQ was critical. It would be nice to get it functioning.

I just had a revelation. The adaptor required is AC not DC!

Last edited:
For those to sound their best the original eq is required equipment. The midbass will be to high and low end too lean without it. A graphic eq can be used in its place but is not ideal. Ak member Maxamillion has done extensive work on these units and may be able to help you out. Also has a great rebuild thread. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/rsiib-outboard-crossover-update.206637/ He rebuilds the unit in this thread starting at the bottom of page 1. Pm him if you can't get it working. Hopefully just the wall wort...

Last edited:
I think the easiest and cheapest solution would be to get a 110->220 step-up transformer.

Agreed. The power adaptor has the wrong pins for here anyway, but I could go either route. I need a stepdown/stepup anyway.

Well we got them going and they sound great.

The EQ has a new power supply, though the pots need cleaning. The speakers have all new fuses as every one was blown. Even without them we actually did get some sound but it wasn't good.

20171025_170149.jpg 20171025_170210.jpg

Attachments

• 20171025_170149.jpg
    20171025_170149.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom