Infinity RS IIIa woofers - wired in series correct ?

donberry

I recently picked up a pair of Infinity RS IIIa and I'm just making sure the wiring on the woofers is correct as I've read some posts where they were wired wrong. Mine are wired in series - top woofer it is the red wire to the positive terminal on the speaker, bottom woofer it's the purple wire wired to the positive terminal - taking for granted this is correct ? Thanks for any info

If they are dual 4-ohm woofers and the nominal impedance of the speakers is 8-ohm then, yes, I would imagine them to be wired in series. I have a pair of RS IIIb's that's been at my best friends house for maybe 7 years but can't recall how they're wired. Do you have a DMM meter to check them?

positive from xover to pos top woofer, neg top woofer to positive bottom woofer, neg from bottom woofer back to xover

View attachment 1285755

Would this indicate they are in parallel?

This came from:

http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/RS_IIIA_technical_sheet.pdf

I've not opened mine up...

Unfortunately, that document omits the one critical piece of information about how the two woofers are connected. It only shows that the crossover has an output that goes to the woofers. It does not show if the two woofers are to be wired in parallel or series.

The schematic does give the component values and the sheet tells the lower crossover frequency. If you know the driver impedance, you can calculate if those values give the stated LP frequency with the drivers in parallel or series.

According to the schematics on that site, the RS-5 are wired in series, and the RS-II are wired in parallel (different frequencies for each +, common negative).

RS-III are wired in parallel (different frequencies for each +, common negative).

RS-4 are unspecified (not shown in detail), like the RS-IIIA/B schematic

RS-IIA/B are wired in series.

It would be nice to know for sure...

Not to hijack, but it's a crossover related question. Has anyone bi-amped their RS-IIIA/B speakers? Is it as simple as cutting the leads to the woofers and installing a second set of speaker terminals?

Back
Top Bottom