Infinity RS2.5 Refurbishment

Whitehall

Thanks to ReEdger (Gene) for refoaming the Infinities and cleaning up the cones. The foam was pretty much gone and someone had painted some goop on the cones - Gene cleaned it pretty well and for a very reasonable price. 30 hour turnaround when I delivered and picked up.

While the woofers were out, I added a brace between the front cabinet panel and the back. I got some 1X maple, cut to a solid press fit and stuck it into the cabinet right below the woofer. That should preload the front and back panels and stiffen both. I used maple since it "rings" best when I thump it with my finger. That's why they use it for musical instruments. Cost me $2.50 for the wood and a buck to rip it.

The sound is soo much better now. The bass is much cleaner and more taut. The bass notes are much better defined and of separate pitch.

They are driven by a McIntosh 2105 at 105 wpc, a Mc C24 preamp, a Mc MR71 tuner, and a Sony DVP-NS9100ES SACD/CD/DVD player. When it warms up I'll move the rig back to the garage and maybe bi-amp it.

Attachments

• Infinity RS25.jpg
    Infinity RS25.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Infinity-McIntosh Rig.jpg
    Infinity-McIntosh Rig.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 88
Joe,
Nice work. The brace idea is a good one, especially with many vintage pairs I betcha. Good thinking. Very kewl.
Vito

Nice job! :thmbsp: Great to see these old Infinities being well taken care of. :yes: Interesting comment about the improvement in bass after bracing; think I'll try that whenever I finally get to around to tweaking my IRS IIIs (planning to bi-amp them). Thanks!

Since I did TWO changes at once, I can't claim the brace made any difference. I bet the new surrounds were the major contributor to the improvement.

I will say that now the limiting factor on the bass is the floor joists. They start vibrating when I crank it up, even with a mere 105 wpc from the McIntosh. the speakers still have the wood buttons I glued on the base. Those were great in the garage on the concrete but for the carpeted wood floor, spikes are probably better.

Besides the new surrounds, the internal brace, and the button feet, I've only given them a good scrubbing with steel wool and lemon oil right after I got them last summer. I would like to replace the grill cloths and maybe recap the crossovers. They'll get another lemon oil spa treatment when I move them back to the garage this Spring.

Plenty of work ahead but these are by far the best speakers I've ever owned or even seriously hoped to own. Thanks again, Vito!

Very nice. Glad everything worked out. Wait till the surrounds break in they'll sound even better.

Now doesn't that beat duct tape?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom