Infinity RS3b's Why so harsh sounding and virtually no bass?

You could just use Google images and see what the majority of the pictures show.
Or even look at original ads or reviews.
But as far as sound quality it isn't going to make any difference.
The only possible reason for using one orientation over another would be because of wire length.
Sometimes, in cases of, or to avoid "spider sag" it has been suggested to rotate them 180 degrees on purpose.

EDIT--link to the RS IIIa/b page at Klaus' site, hope it works..
http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1+b-2-10+A+B-1981-86/index-Reference.htm

You can click on the pics to enlarge, it appears many if not most have the woofer terminals towards the bottom of the cabinet.

Mine are down.

Just a thought. Before getting too far into the wiring, I'd just pull the bottom woofer and reverse the wires and see where you are with respect to the bass issue.
Yea, most images I have seen are down oriented. I'm with you and will be pulling out the bottom units first, come this weekend.

All the dual woofer Infinitys except the rsIII and II (non a/b) that I have come across have been wired top woofer negative to bottom woofer positive. The only schematics on the infinity classic website which show this are the third page of the RSIIa/b and the RS5 which has smaller woofers but you get the idea. The rsIII and II (non a/b) the bottom woofer is crossed over lower than the top and they are wired ngitive to negative similar to a Watkins woofer. When those speakers are running proper there should be plenty of bass...

Last edited:
I am sorry, but I am still confused by this talk of parallel configuration and I hate confusion and misinformation.

The schematic link for the 3b's that I posted in the 8th post, which was then again linked to by tubed in post #15 shows the woofers in series. If you look at the "woofers" section there are only two delivery wires shown "+, -". There are not two sets of positives and two sets of negatives to the woofer section. The way the schematic is depicted is series as far as I can deduce, please someone correct me if I'm wrong and actually explain why this is not the case. The "woofers" (notice plurality) are connected one to the other, though you are supposed to infer both woofers are in the woofer section connected together in series, despite only seeing the one word "woofers" in the schematic.

Take for instance the RS6's. The woofer in the schematic is not plural. In other words there is only one woofer per speaker cabinet.
http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/RS_6B_Specs.pdf

See the difference?

Good luck,

Mark K.

So tonight I pulled both woofers from one unit. Definitely the woofers are out of phase. The top woofer red/black banded wire is connected to the red terminal but the negative (purple) from top woofer is connected to the negative of bottom woofer, not good (for a series circuit) and check!!! Now my question is this. Should the top woofers positive terminal actually be connected to the solid red wire or the black banded red wire in order to be in phase with the remaining drivers (mid and tweeter)? In the pic the the woofer to the right is the upper one.

IMG_1954.JPG

Should the top woofers positive terminal actually be connected to the solid red wire or the black banded red wire in order to be in phase with the remaining drivers (mid and tweeter)?

You are correct they are not in phase. In this case leave the red and purple wires connected to the lower woofers positive and negative terminals respectively and then connect the purple to the positive of the upper woofer and the red/black wire to the negative terminal of the upper woofer.

It is probably safe to assume the assemblers at Infinity originated the wires from the crossover correctly. To be sure you could look and compare networks from cabinet to cabinet. It may also be a good idea to pull the other drivers and check their polarity too.

If the positive wires are all on positive terminals of all drivers in the cabinets and in the case of the woofers in series, positive to one, to positive of the next the speakers will be in phase and correctly wired one to the other.

It should be a pleasant listening experience when everything is correct!

Good luck,

Mark K.

Last edited:
So tonight I pulled both woofers from one unit. Definitely the woofers are out of phase. The top woofer red/black banded wire is connected to the red terminal but the negative (purple) from top woofer is connected to the negative of bottom woofer, not good (for a series circuit) and check!!! Now my question is this. Should the top woofers positive terminal actually be connected to the solid red wire or the black banded red wire in order to be in phase with the remaining drivers (mid and tweeter)? In the pic the the woofer to the right is the upper one.

View attachment 1082323
Color of the wire is unimportant( although color is ideal for id)
What is important is polarity.
Follow the first diagram in slimjims post.
Basically a single wire will connect woofer-1 negative to woofer-2 positive.
Positive from amp to positive speaker terminal on woofer-1.
Negative from amp to negative speaker terminal on woofer-2

View attachment 1082323
You are correct they are not in phase. In this case leave the red and purple wires connected to the lower woofers positive and negative terminals respectively and then connect the purple to the positive of the upper woofer and the red/black wire to the negative terminal of the upper woofer.

It is probably safe to assume the assemblers at Infinity originated the wires from the crossover correctly. To be sure you could look and compare networks from cabinet to cabinet. It may also be a good idea to pull the other drivers and check their polarity too.

It should be a pleasant listening experience when everything is correct!

Good luck,
Will do, and thank you for your attention to the "detail"
Mark K.

Wow, I have to say I am quite impressed with these rs3b's. The sound stage is BIG, the bass tight and balanced. I did not expect these to sound so articulate. I threw on some jazz, hard rock and Patricia Barber (sacd), they do it all very nicely!
Thank you all for the help especially Marcuus.
Fyi the black stripped red wire comes directly from the common negative point on the xover.

Anybody got any suggestions for replacing the foam type material around the mid and tweeter or perhaps can steer me to another thread or site that can help?

Glad you got them fixed and it was free, can't beat that.

Lack or just plain weird bass seems common among Infinitys with multiple woofers.
My best guess is they are reinstalled with incorrect wiring after refoaming/replacement.

Glad you got them fixed and it was free, can't beat that.

Lack or just plain weird bass seems common among Infinitys with multiple woofers.
My best guess is they are reinstalled with incorrect wiring after refoaming/replacement.

Yes, my thinking is that during installation the installer sees the red marks on each woofer terminal (as can be seen in one of my pics above) and immediately assumes that red goes to red on both units, understandable. But what are the customers thinking when they get them back, they just accept it? Of course not all do but obviously some do!

Back
Top Bottom