INFINITY RSIIB are these any good

Mywifepissed,

IMO, they are probably the best overall compromise between sound quality and space of any of the Infinity classics.

Are you selling them for space/WAF issues or because you found something you liked better?

David

***Moderator Edit: No mention of eBay items other than in $&S, please?***

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I'm moving into a smaller home without a den and my wife won't have them in an exposed common area. I have "Yes Dear" syndrome. No cure as of yet. The problem was the several hundred dollars it will take to move them even 1000 miles.
I am going to use original Modulus with a Pinnacle Baby Boomer Plus sub. The Modulus are deadly good, but I am skeptical about the sub's integration as I move about the room.

***Moderator Edit: No mention of eBay items other than in $&S, please?***

Well, if you have to downsize, it's hard to beat the Modulus. Really great speakers.

Don't know anything about the Pinnacle sub but I wouldn't imagine it should be too difficult to get it tuned to work with the Modulus.

Good luck on selling the RS-IIBs.

David

angel mercado said:
Hi i just bought a pair of Infinty RS IIB from a friend here in Tulsa,Oklahoma

Guess it's going to be a year for Infinity in Tulsey Town. I just purchased a great looking pair of SM112's at an estate sale for $20. The enclosures are flawless but the drivers needed work. I had to put a new diaphragm in one of the tweeters and re-foam the woofers. Just finished one of the woofers tonight, one down and one to go and I'm ready to test drive them. I'm also thinking of lineing them with fiberglass, just have to wait and see.
Sounds like you got a deal.

David,

I sure appreciate your alerting me to the Modulus on Ebay. It's this kind of out-of-the-way contact that makes this a great site to visit and contribute to.

mywifespissed said:
Yes. I'm moving into a smaller home without a den and my wife won't have them in an exposed common area. I have "Yes Dear" syndrome. No cure as of yet.
I am going to use original Modulus with a Pinnacle Baby Boomer Plus sub. The Modulus are deadly good, but I am skeptical about the sub's integration as I move about the room.
Those are mine now on Ebay. The problem was the several hundred dollars it will take to move them even 1000 miles. Also, my Audiogon score is zero since I was a newcomer there. I had many tire kickers.

Wow, those look lovely. And you're close. And I've recently been wowed by RS2.5s. I think I'm going to have to try to "win" your speakers :yes:

Fantastic speakers, in my (not unbiased) opinion. I completely agree with sentiments expressed here that these old Infinities are under-appreciated and under-valued, compared to many other speakers. Good luck prying mine out of my cold, dead fingers (unless I get lucky enough one day to get IRS-V's with enough space and gear to drive them...).

I think there are several reasons why these are under-appreciated:

(1) They need to be very well-powered, by amps that can handle dips below 2 ohms.

(2) They are extremely revealing, showing up flaws in sources. People may blame the speakers for things like "brittle highs" they haven't heard with other speakers, when it is actually their CDs/players/amps they are hearing clearly for the first time.

(3) They are somewhat bulky and require enough space to shine, giving them a relatively low WAF factor.

(4) They often need new EMITs, due to people driving them with insufficient amps, and sometimes (but not always) the crossovers need new caps.

I got my big ol' Infinities for the best price of all (rescued free from the trash, although who would ever throw these away just makes me shake my head in wonder....), but I'd say you got a steal of a deal, at the price you paid. Congratulations! :thmbsp: :music: :yes:

Sorry to hear that. I was watching the auction and was wondering what was going on. Really annoying, because you seemed to be generating some real interest there.

Good luck on the next listing, hopefully somebody who will appreciate them will get them.

David

Hello! I have an old pair if RSIIbs, and I've just had the woofers re-foamed. I'm looking to wire them correctly, and wondered if anyone had a link to a manual or schematic for how to hook up the woofers? I'd also like to know how to check the fuses (and how to be sure they're correct), and also, do the EMIMs and EMITs need to be serviced in any way to work after sitting for 15 years? Thanks! Mitch boehmm1@cox.net

Thanks, Good 'Ol! Much, much appreciated. Can't wait to hear them again.

I'd like to hear them myself!
Infinity speakers from that era usually need the woofer foams replaced, yours are done so you're ahead of the game already.:thumbsup:
Which can bring up a problem (speaking in general now)....make sure to take pictures and/or label any wires before removing any drivers.
Sometimes after a refoam there is a "lack of bass" complaint due to dual woofer Infinitys having the woofers miswired after removal and being reinstalled.

Yep, that's what I'm worried about...getting the wiring back the way it should be. I didn't take pictures, figuring (like a dummy) it would be obvious and straightforward. But there's a connector wire between the two woofers, and now I'm not sure which terminals connect to which. The schematic you sent me says the connector goes from Neg (top driver) to Pos (lower driver), so I may be in ok shape. Need to go look and see. If the Pos and Neg on each woofer are marked in some way, I'll be ok. Thanks again....I may be back here soon, asking more questions!

and also, do the EMIMs and EMITs need to be serviced in any way to work after sitting for 15 years?
Talk about sitting, this thread has been sitting for over 13 years...

But anyway, the woofers are connected in series; the connection should go from the positive (or marked) terminal on one to the negative (or unmarked) on the other. Regarding the EMIMs and EMITs, it depends on how they look and sound. The EMIMs in particular have a tendency to peel and/or wrinkle over time, and magnets can also peel. Peeling can be fatal; wrinkling usually not unless it's severe. Posting some closeup pics here of the all of the diaphragms (from outside; don't disassemble them) should allow us to help you determine their condition. EMIT diaphragms are pretty cheap (a member here makes replacements and sells them on eBay) but EMIM diaphragms are decidedly less so.

Wouldn't that then wire them out of phase?
yeah, I think
@goodolpg has it wrong. On every pair of double woofer infinity's I've seen the negative wire on the top woofer goes to the positive of the bottom woofer.
This is how my RS IIb are wired, and I'm pretty sure that no-one had ever been into them before @7.62 and I took the woofers out for him to refoam them, as they were soldered with the original labled wires

@swechsler has it right.

Well, the Infinity schematic I got earlier (from 'Good 'ol) says that Jazz has it right. The wire connection between the two woofers goes from NEG (top woofer) to POS (bottom woofer). Just gotta be able to differentiate which is which (pos and neg). I suspect they're marked. I'm not home, and can't look, but will tomorrow. Thanks for all this, guys! Big help......

Back
Top Bottom