Infinity RSIIIa Service Request

Pchristopher

Hey everyone,

Recently purchased some RSIIIa speakers. Long story short one of the EMIT tweeters has given out on me. I have suspicions that it is a crossover issue because I hear crackling when I play with the tweeter levels on the back of the speaker...Anyhow I'm quite the novice here. I ultimately feel like I will have to get some work done on the one if not both of the speakers. I've also already purchased a replacement tweeter because I know they're sometimes hard to fine.

Wondering if there are any techs out there on the forum that would be willing to work on these badboys for me. I'm from the Hudson/Bergen county area in New Jersey.

All recommendations welcome!

Thanks!

I can't point you to a tech, but I can tell you that there's a very good chance it's not a problem with the tweeter.

Infinity speakers of that era are notorious for having problems with the pots (volume controls). Easy enough to check, just open them up and jumper a wire across the tweeter pot. If the tweeter starts working at unattenuated volume, the problem was the pot. You can either find a replacement, try cleaning it with Deoxit, or just jumper it permanently.

bs

I am a total novice when it comes to electrical. Could you explain what you mean exactly by jumper a wire? Luckily for me I have some Deoxit at home as well!

Thanks again for your response!

I can't point you to a tech, but I can tell you that there's a very good chance it's not a problem with the tweeter.

Infinity speakers of that era are notorious for having problems with the pots (volume controls). Easy enough to check, just open them up and jumper a wire across the tweeter pot. If the tweeter starts working at unattenuated volume, the problem was the pot. You can either find a replacement, try cleaning it with Deoxit, or just jumper it permanently.

bs

If you already have the Deoxit then I'd try that first. Spray a little into each pot and move the knobs back and forth a few times. Then report back here and let us know if it helped at all.

Basically, when you open it up and are staring at the back of the crossover panel where the tweeter controls are, you'll see a couple of wires going to/from the control. One wire should be coming from the crossover, the other wire should be going to the tweeter. What you want to do is connect a jumper wire between the two, i.e. make a direct connection so the tweeter is getting it's signal directly from the crossover, bypassing the tweeter control.

A short wire with an alligator clip on both ends is ideal for this, but you could also just use a wire that's been stripped on both ends and hold it in place.

If the tweeter starts working, you know the problem is with the pot. Probably easiest to try the Deoxit first, if that doesn't work you can make the decision to permanently bypass it or find a replacement.

bs

Back
Top Bottom