Infinity Sigmas inbound tomorrow...amp time.

scottykarate

Ain't skeered!
Subscriber
I should be picking up a pair of Sigmas tomorrow sometime. I'm leaning towards getting either a McIntosh 2250 or 7270 because I like meters.
I assume these should handle them ok without by amping for now?
My Denon likely needs some work.

Any other amp suggestions?

Both amps are up to the task! I'd get the 7270, it's a bit newer and has a bit more power, but the main reason is that the low production numbers of the 2255 make it a little more expensive.

These are the seller's pics. I haven't been able to take my own. They're wasted in the bedroom on low power, but even with that being said...they play big and detailed. I am still convincing my girlfriend that they're better in the living room. I have also gained more respect for the Renaissance 80's now. They do indeed punch well above their weight.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 72
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 69
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 70
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
A couple more.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 37
  • s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 37
Nice ! Congrats :music:.

I’ve read these are a pain to set up right, but when you get there......Jelly.

I almost bought a set myself right before the Renaissance 90’s came along. My room size was the deciding factor.

Nice ! Congrats :music:.

I’ve read these are a pain to set up right, but when you get there......Jelly.

I almost bought a set myself right before the Renaissance 90’s came along. My room size was the deciding factor.

They're definitely overkill in the bedroom...Ren 80's were fine for it, but WAF or GAF is a factor at this time. Lol. I'll never them positioned like they deserve until we move to a place with a dedicated room, but I couldn't pass up a rare speaker.
I think the difference between the Sigs and Ren 90 would be minor, with the advantage of Ren 90s maybe being easier to place properly.
I love the Rens, too. The Infinitesimals sound like the baby brothers...lol.

They sure look like the same drivers as the Ren 90, excepting that second HE EMIT on the back, if that's a second one, not a dipolar single

I'd sure love to hear them!

They sure look like the same drivers as the Ren 90, excepting that second HE EMIT on the back, if that's a second one, not a dipolar single

I'd sure love to hear them!

Yes, they have a rear-firing EMIT. Then they have a rear chamber kinda like the Rens for the EMIM. The top of the chamber is just grill cloth.
I'd still love to hear Kappa 9s.

Well, I want to hear most of the classic Infinity models, actually. Lol.
These are on a different level than my Rens, which I think are beautifully made.

Attachments

• IRS-Sigma14.jpg
    IRS-Sigma14.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 28
One of the neat things I think is these and the epilsons were the last to be graced by the great Infinity guys. If you look at Christie’s site he’s still pictured with very similar design.

Down the road I may buy a pair but really in the grand scheme I have my sights set on Gamma’s as my end all Speaker choice.

One of the neat things I think is these and the epilsons were the last to be graced by the great Infinity guys. If you look at Christie’s site he’s still pictured with very similar design.

Thanks for mentioning the site! I just took a peak. Most of the Artison products are soundbars, and surround speakers. So, if I had to guess, I'd think that speaker is in actuality a prototype of the Infinity Epsilon. Nice!

And to the OP...! :beerchug: Sigma's and Ren 80's...! :thumbsup:

Down the road I may buy a pair but really in the grand scheme I have my sights set on Gamma’s as my end all Speaker choice.

For me, it will take a big jump up to turn my head, but if any of the IRS series were available locally, it would definitely make me contemplate yet another purchase since these are basically the low end of that series. I do like that they were limited in the US and mostly sent to Denmark and Japan.

It would be very hard for me to ever give these up.... probably impossible.

I'd possibly sell/trade the Rens, but it would only be to go up the classic Infinity food chain in either IRS or Ren 90s or RS series.. I've been into Infinity since the late 80s when I was a teenager and my buddies each got what we thought was a good speaker...the SM series.

I may delve into JBL for rock someday and possibly Klipsch just to try tubes with, but those would have to more or less fall into my lap.

Thanks for mentioning the site! I just took a peak. Most of the Artison products are soundbars, and surround speakers. So, if I had to guess, I'd think that speaker is in actuality a prototype of the Infinity Epsilon. Nice!

And to the OP...! :beerchug: Sigma's and Ren 80's...! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I agree, they seem to be more of a proof of concept or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom