Infinity SM 102

There's some info on the model here.

Studio Monitor SM 102

Introduced: 19??
Dimensions: 64 x 37 x 30 cm
Bass: 1 x 25,4 cm polypropylene
Highs: 1 x 2,5 cm polycell dome
Suggested for amplifiers with: 10 -150 Watts per channel
Frequency range: 65 Hz - 25 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Crossover frequencies: 3300 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 100dB (1 watt/1 meter)
Suggested price (pair): ?? $

The SM or "Studio Monitor" series by Infinity was their low-end, mass market series of speakers to help bring in the cash flow to allow for their creation of high-end speakers, such as the Quantum series around this time. From what I've read, they're decent speakers that can crank and are still quite accurate compared to their competitors. However, the polycell tweeters are nowhere near the quality of the more expensive EMITs that mark Infinity's better offerings and the overall build quality is much lower. Considering the SM-102 is one of the smaller examples of this series, I'd say the $65 asking price is easily twice as much as they're worth and what you could pick some up for.

- JP

I have a set of SM 120's. Probably has similar performance as the specs are similar. They are quite unspectacular. I've been meaning to stuff the cabinets with fiberfill to see (hear) if it makes a difference. I was surprised when I found the cabs empty. Bass is better coming from some of the much smaller speakers I have.

mac

Back
Top Bottom