Infinity SM-152

No.1 Beerman

PIONEER SX-950
I've read a few posts on ak that call these speakers junk!
I read a post a while back about putting some stuffing and bracing in them to help them sound better. I spent $30.00 on bracing and 8.5 inch insulation on them(these are big speakers) Anyway I do find the sound warmer and think it was definetly worth the money spent.
That being said i think these speakers are very good. detailed highs, Great mids, and Smooth bass.
On some songs i noticed the mids could get a little overbearing requiring a receiver tone adjustment, But for the majority of songs they are perfect the way they are.
I personally don't think they have made the perfect speaker for every song, but to my old ears these sm's really rock.
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on this model speaker. :banana:

No.1 Beerman said:
I've read a few posts on ak that call these speakers junk!
:

Hail No.1 Beerman,
Well that is the problem when some folks use generalizations and derogatory words about components that others may like and enjoy. It never occurs to some folks that they be publicly calling someone else's prized possesion junk.

A better description may be as follows of the SM series; They were designed to be more of a mass market loudspeaker. Meaning, that the actual design parameters for the series were based upon the SM 80 model. The other models in the series were expanded upwards increasing the cabinet size and driver sizes as it goes up the line. This cut down on specific R&D for each model. The result was that as you go up the line, the sonics that are produced become less predictable and therefore much more situational placement wise within a room and sound absorbing decor for example. Hence, bad words from some folks concerning the series.

I have owned many pairs of different models over the years and found that as was described with some stuffing and additional weight and stabilization of the larger models of the series, coupled with placement experimentaion, satisfactory results can be obtained.

The last pair that I had, SM150's, I gave to me daughter as part of a home theater that I put together for her. I put each loudspeaker on a different side of the room, sideways, with a 40 pound weight on each one. The room is full of stuffed furniture with drapery. The result is that the shrillness that I experienced with this particular pair dissapated and the extra resounance that the bass notes produced are completely gone. She loves them.

The other thing about the SM series is that they are quite efficient, which brings many of a person's hand to turn the volume knob up higher than they can really support. IMO, with these thoughts in mind, the series can bring much delight to folks, just as they do with you, my daughter, my brother and heh, my mother.

Glad that you enjoy them because that is all that matters. Most folks that say things are junk, are just remiss in providing a more comparative, relative set of words.

Play on,
Vito

I've got a pair of SM-120's that I'd like to add some bracing and stuffing to. Would you guys mind going into detail about how to do that?
I have to agree that they're good sounding speakers. I've really tried to find something wrong with them, but so far nothing. Maybe I just never heard really good speakers before.

Mea, first i took out the woofers then measured the inside of the box front to back. Went to lowes and brought 1x2's at 88 cents a piece brought 2 of them. Then went to insulation dept and brought r-19 or something like that but was 8 and one halve inches insulation cut the 1x2's to desired length and put wood glue on ends of them.
I put 4 per speaker around the edges where the woofer would go to reduce vibrations.
Took the plastic wrap of insulation and stuffed box being careful not to cover the back port.(You want that so the sound won't be impeded coming out.)Thats about it.
Any questions you may have please pm me , I'll be glad to help any way i can.

I've had the Sm-152's for 15 years, and after bracing and insulating, they sounded MUCH better. Also, putting them on a big slab of something, or using spikes (even cheaper, go to the archery dept. of walmart, get practice tips, drill 4 small holes in bottom, insert...voila!) and they sound even better. Not a party-volume speaker, but pretty to look at, sound pretty clean, and reliable. Yes, infinity cut corners, but not as bad as some would leave you to believe. Of course, with Infinity, one expects better.

I did this mod a couple of months ago, best $30 I ever spent, :thmbsp: I have since replaced the Infinitys with Ohm Walsh 2s, but I still throw the Infinitys on when I want to rock. :music:
BTW the Ohms were the first good speaker I have had on my rig, bought mostly because I thought that I was missing something after reading about the SM series, the Infinitys sound a lot better than some of the posts around here would lead you to think.

No.1 Beerman said:
Mea, first i took out the woofers then measured the inside of the box front to back. Went to lowes and brought 1x2's at 88 cents a piece brought 2 of them. Then went to insulation dept and brought r-19 or something like that but was 8 and one halve inches insulation cut the 1x2's to desired length and put wood glue on ends of them.
I put 4 per speaker around the edges where the woofer would go to reduce vibrations.
Took the plastic wrap of insulation and stuffed box being careful not to cover the back port.(You want that so the sound won't be impeded coming out.)Thats about it.
Any questions you may have please pm me , I'll be glad to help any way i can.

Could you take a picture of the inside if it's not too much trouble? I have a pretty good visual of what should be done but I want to make sure I get it right!

Thank you!

ne one have woofers they feel work but dont like the SM series so they want to get rid of them to me? LOL I need replacements...:D

Thanks for the link, Nacon!

I am looking for surrounds, as I just popped one halfway off blasting some Kings X....:no:

ive got a pair and im feeling their a great sounding product, lets remember they will only sound as good as what your using to put sound through them, and then youve got to match some brands/companys with others. nothing is ever 100% plug and play for everyone. ive used a 9090db and a project one and i think they sound great. and when i use my kenwood 9600 or concept 5.5 i dont feel that they sound as good then. just make take.

ive got a pair and im feeling their a great sounding product, lets remember they will only sound as good as what your using to put sound through them, and then youve got to match some brands/companys with others. nothing is ever 100% plug and play for everyone. ive used a 9090db and a project one and i think they sound great. and when i use my kenwood 9600 or concept 5.5 i dont feel that they sound as good then. just make take.

I had use many speakers then I tried it and it now satisfied me.:thmbsp:

It really sounds great in my room. I believe that Infinity had an improvement on SM 150+

Mine were a gift from my parents in h.s., and I just blew the surround on one of them last month. Gotta get a refoam kit, although the other is just fine, I'll probably do them both. Helluva soundstage on these babies.

I took a look at that crossover Brocluno, and how do you start to get them apart?? They are glued...seems a complicated mess...

I think the original caps were Claytons..??? Something with a C, I think.. looked iffy. And who hasn't had problems with the mid and tweet pots getting dirty and scratchy?? Even after a hosing with deoxit, they are still noisy. Thinking about getting someone like GordonW to recommend me a replacement crossover, such as those in Parts Express, or even build my own.

Anyone know the crossover points and values??

Well regarding the SM series in general, I have 2 sets of SM-255s. One set is in my HT system in my living room. Mind you I have lots of vintage gear. I still have the 255s in my livng room and another pair in my dinning room hooked up to a Sansui tuner (771), and they sound great to me. The reason for the 255s in my HT system is cause I have infinity all around (rears and center channel) along with a HK 7.1 receiver. I really have no reason to swap them out, they sound great the way they are. Anything past 9 o'clock on the volume dial and the windows rattle (old house tho). I thought I had great stuff first time I fired them up, and have no reason to replace or even rotate and I've got some great speakers elsewhere. The only thing to replace mine are with some RSII or the like and I've been thinking about that for quite some time.

I suggest to the original poster that if they sound great to you then well they sound great. Mine do and I don't give a rats a$$ if someone else says something else is better, I'm sure it is but it's not in my house so it doesn't really matter.

Turn up the music.

Bob Brown

Back
Top Bottom