Infinity SM-152

I am DIYing a steel base for 152,

15 kgs each. I will tell you the different when complete.

I have finished the steel base:

Materials

- Steel Plate: 12 mm Thickness, 450x450 mm. Weight 15 kgs
- 4- 50mm screws to glue steel base to SM 152.
- Two 12 bolts, length 60mm
- Two 16 bolts, length 110mm

Four bolts is lathe to bevel, different length to tilt the speaker backwards.

The total weight of the speaker now: 35 kgs( original) + 15 kgs= 50kgs

Tested with super sound CD 1 and Monitor speaker 4344 JBL, I have very surprised for the sound improved:

High range: detail, transparence.

Mid range: more clear, sweeter

Bass: tighter, focus, powerful
The loudness quieter, sound very detail in general

I can turn more volume to 10 o’clock position without booming, although 9 o’clock is awesome for 102 dbs speaker, then I touched to the cabinet and not feel the vibration.

I do not think I have so success to bracing this speaker. I do not want to change to any other speaker.

Do the same me, you can hear the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 126
Very, and I mean VERY nice!:thmbsp:

Thanks for the postings. Will have to get something like that done for mine.

Steel (mass) will do a LOT to change the cab resonance and to stop it from "dancing". Excellent post and good idea :)

The four adjustable feets was lathe too sharp so I have to put them on coins, these coins also help to annul the vibration.:thmbsp:

I noticed the hard way when I moved my Infinity's to the kitchen, that 75 pounds of speaker sitting on metal points + linoleum doesn't mix.:no:

I'm getting one of those metal feet kits from Parts Express. They have small metal cylinders that the feet sit in when on wood or linoleum flooring.

I noticed the hard way when I moved my Infinity's to the kitchen, that 75 pounds of speaker sitting on metal points + linoleum doesn't mix.:no:

I'm getting one of those metal feet kits from Parts Express. They have small metal cylinders that the feet sit in when on wood or linoleum flooring.

I think you should pierce a hole to contact the feets to floor to hear the real sound of SM 152.
:yes:

Infinity SM152
Frequency Response 44Hz - 25kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Frequencies 500Hz, 5.5kHz
Sensitivity 102dB (1 watt/1 meter)
Power Rating 10 - 300 watts
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Woofer 15" (381mm) polypropylene coated
Midrange Driver TWO - 4.5" (114mm)polypropylene coated
Tweeter 1" (25mm) high-output polycell

In my opinion they are fantastic speakers, Especially high value on the used market where you can get them for very cheap. Also these are 30 years old now and pots, speakers, crossovers can need repair or replacing (check all and discount as needed) but in good working condition they are a steal. IMO their reviews suffer from a perceived image problem in which young bass heads see their 15 in woofer and think its going to go deep deep. These have great bass for music but its still a neutral speaker. I've listened to lots of infinity, interlude il60, intermezzo, crescendo, rs series, kappa, beta. These are still one of my favorites to listen to and are very versatile. Admittedly im not one for laid back sound and these arent. Its as much about listeners ear (breakin). They play a lot of recordings well. Extremely efficient. Yes my il60s have greater resolution and pulled more details out of music but these are still great. If you have any doubts about what these can do compared to other speakers just see what they can do with the white stripes, the seeds or fiona apple. Those have been very hard for me to be satisfied with many many speakers and these pull them off incredibly.

In my opinion they are fantastic speakers, Especially high value on the used market where you can get them for very cheap. Also these are 30 years old now and pots, speakers, crossovers can need repair or replacing (check all and discount as needed) but in good working condition they are a steal. IMO their reviews suffer from a perceived image problem in which young bass heads see their 15 in woofer and think its going to go deep deep. These have great bass for music but its still a neutral speaker. I've listened to lots of infinity, interlude il60, intermezzo, crescendo, rs series, kappa, beta. These are still one of my favorites to listen to and are very versatile. Admittedly im not one for laid back sound and these arent. Its as much about listeners ear (breakin). They play a lot of recordings well. Extremely efficient. Yes my il60s have greater resolution and pulled more details out of music but these are still great. If you have any doubts about what these can do compared to other speakers just see what they can do with the white stripes, the seeds or fiona apple. Those have been very hard for me to be satisfied with many many speakers and these pull them off incredibly.

WELCOME TO AUDIOKARMA !!!!

I am a champion for lost causes, and between the top-heaviness, piss-poor bracing, sub-quality crossover and caps, and general cheapness, I FINALLY let mine go. Mom and Dad had slaved to buy them for me, and I got 25 years out of them, but I had to be honest - they just hurt my ears anymore.

They DID have a bit of sparkle that was addictive. Maceo Parker's "Mo Roots" sounded so damned good on them.

I did a few bracing mods, but never really tinkered much with them. Still, I have a fond spot in my heart for this low on the totem offering from Infinity.

Glad you're enjoying and rocking, different horses for different courses.

Back
Top Bottom