Infinity SM115 with Boston Acoustic CR7 ?

CDELON

Hello, I'm new to audio karma. I'm a novice, interested in increasing my knowledge from those who have more in depth knowledge. I have been switching out speakers and speaker combinations for years. I was using SM 115 Infinity speakers with my system. Love the speakers, but always sensed something missing in there sound. Out of curiosity, I would add speakers to channel B to hear the blend. I tried JBL, KEF, Polk and Klipsch book shelf size speakers and could not find the missing link in the sound of my SMs. By chance, I picked up a pair of Boston Acoustic CR7s and added them and there it was. They filled the voids and the gaps. I'm amazed that I am hearing things and sounds like never before. The SMs were always clear. But there is a crispness to everything now. Even the lows were enhanced even from the smaller speakers.Listening to the BAs themselves, there is something missing. Same as I felt with the SMs themselves. The combo does it.
I understand everyone ear for sound is a personal thing.

Is there anyone out there that can explain how this combo works so well together?

Hello, and welcome to AudioKarma!

After owning, and modding the crap out of, a pair of SM152 Infinity's, I had to finally let them go.

Let your ears revel in the new sound. Enjoy it, despite what others will inevitably say.

You're having fun. Once you do not, then pursue some newer speakers. Or not.

There are no rules, and I suspect that the two speakers simply compliment each other.

Glad to have you aboard.

P.s. I'd remove the woofers on those Infinitys, strengthen the boxes with some wooden dowels front to back, and perhaps add a bit more fiberfill. Again, or not. Good luck!

Welcome to Audiokarma CDELON!

The SM 115's were the first pair of Infinity speakers I had ever heard. These speakers are what truly made me pursue vintage Infinity speakers.

Although I have never done it myself, as onwardjames mentioned, strengthening the cabinets are supposed to dramatically help the sound, especially with the bass. The SM 115's are pretty decent speakers for the price and are extremely easy to drive. What amps/receivers are you using on them?

Once again, welcome to Audiokarma and I hope you are able to learn a lot about the vintage Infinity world.

Hello, and welcome to AudioKarma!

After owning, and modding the crap out of, a pair of SM152 Infinity's, I had to finally let them go.

Let your ears revel in the new sound. Enjoy it, despite what others will inevitably say.

You're having fun. Once you do not, then pursue some newer speakers. Or not.

There are no rules, and I suspect that the two speakers simply compliment each other.

Glad to have you aboard.

P.s. I'd remove the woofers on those Infinitys, strengthen the boxes with some wooden dowels front to back, and perhaps add a bit more fiberfill. Again, or not. Good luck!

Thank you! Would you be able to suggest how many dowels I should use and the amount of fiberfill?
I'm open to improving where ever I can.
Ty

Last edited:
Welcome to Audiokarma CDELON!

The SM 115's were the first pair of Infinity speakers I had ever heard. These speakers are what truly made me pursue vintage Infinity speakers.

Although I have never done it myself, as onwardjames mentioned, strengthening the cabinets are supposed to dramatically help the sound, especially with the bass. The SM 115's are pretty decent speakers for the price and are extremely easy to drive. What amps/receivers are you using on them?

Once again, welcome to Audiokarma and I hope you are able to learn a lot about the vintage Infinity world.
Thank You! The SMs certainly are a great value. I also have Infinitys with other systems.The two amps I change out once in a while with these speakers are a Akai AT2800 and a Yamaha RxV 1070.
The speaker blend was the same with both.
Three of my systems are in my information. If it is not showing? Let me know, so I can change settings.
Ty

Welcome to AK.
Your gear is shown on your user page under "information".
Which means 99% of people will never see it.
If you want it to be seen you could make it your signature.

Welcome to AK.
Your gear is shown on your user page under "information".
Which means 99% of people will never see it.
If you want it to be seen you could make it your signature.

Thank you! I'll get that changed over.

Thank you! Would you be able to suggest how many dowels I should use and the amount of fiberfill?
I'm open to improving where ever I can.
Ty

The most important thing is to tie the back and the front together. If you have access to a table saw, you can rip a 2x4 or whatever you have around, and simply cut for a tight fit, glue, and drop a wood screw or two to hold in place. I put one ABOVE the woofer, and it seemed to solidify things. Also, I put maybe a single bag of fiberfill (size of a small pillow) in both cabinets. At one time, I had too much, as bass was really choked off.

For my ears, that tweeter crossover point was the weak link. Seemed to be an odd crossover point, forgive me, it's been awhile. I considered recapping the crossover, but it's a hot-glued mess in there. Better, and easier, to perhaps slap a single small value bypass cap in there to help the highs, but that's a bit much at this point.

Essentially what you're doing with the dowels is reducing cabinet flex. This happens at higher spl's, and would likely not affect much until you got on the gas.

I say enjoy these for what they are, and when you're ready to move on, you'll know it.

Enjoy those tunes, buddy.

Back
Top Bottom