Infinity SM115

brad44

I purchased a pair of SM115 for 15 bucks, they need surrounds so it will be a few weeks before I get to hear them.

Are they worth keeping in the collection?

I have never heard any Infinity products.

guys usually turn noses at the SM line. I have a pair of 115's, cabs are braced, internally, but bass is still somewhat bland. Mids and highs aren't bad at all.
I'm keeping them simply due to the grills & the cabs: They are in PRISTINE condition.
Probably going to take a spare set of drivers, make up crossovers, and make a pair of RS5b's out of them. Way better sound, and the size is very close.

My 2 cents Stu

"Are they worth keeping in the collection?"

Depends on what other speakers you have.

On the other hand if you ever get into audio-insanely loud-pissing match with your neighbors you will win hands down...

I did buy them to use outside in the garage!

With the surrounds I have 30 bucks into them.... so I am likely in the hole.

If you're willing to do a little work on them while they're disassembled, you can turn them into something pretty decent. The major issues are the lack of bracing and damping in the cabinet which makes them very boomy. Glue some 1x2 braces front-to-back and side-to-side, then add some fiberfill (partly to make up for the volume you've just stolen from the cabinet). Mine were free, so I have about $20 in them counting the woofer re-foam, and with a little judicious EQ they make very decent HT speakers.

I have a pair that I acquired from a CL post. Perfect stock condition. However the cabinets..... it's true what they say about the issues. As a quick aid I used type 3 wood glue and seam sealed them inside and out. Just that made a world of difference as a "improvement".

Overall, I think these speakers don't sound 'bad' at all. Of course there are better speakers out there...and typically they are good at lightening wallets.

IMG_20170729_143031452.jpg I spent $50 for a set of these best $50 I ever spent!...they are absolutely like brand new and have Cerwin Vega woofers that were just reformed in them and I can't tell you enough how awesome they sound, I believe with the Cerwin Vega woofer they sound a hundred percent better than with the stock woofer, & these speakers have absolutely beautiful midrange and & Tweeter clarity... So don't discount putting a Cerwin Vega woofer in them!

I have a set of Mach ones that I have owned since 1983 purchase new and yes I refoamed them a few years back... They're still like brand new... And my Infinity SM 115 sound 10 times better everywhere with every genre of music from classical and jazz 2 rock and roll and rap music.. these Infinities with the Cerwin Vega Woofers are far better than the Mach 1

Back
Top Bottom