Infinity Speakers... value?

My father in law has these. He uses them as his rear speakers surround sound. THey are ok. Nothing to wrote home about. Not bad either. I would pay $50 for them. THats just me.

Doesn't it say 7-8 years old? In the Q&A below the listing

Yes it does. However I did a bunch of searching online and could not find the speakers - not even reviews on audio review (based on the model he says they are). I did, however, find something that looks pretty much like them on a site sporting vintage infinity speakers.

Thus I come to the conclusion that its *most likely* the 7-8 years old is not the speakers actual age, but rather when the seller acquired them. Ofcourse I could stand corrected if people here can point me in the direction of some web links for these speakers.

Genix;

I own a pair of Infinity E-L's. Using them as computer speaks, in fact, for background listening. Mine have the oak looking vinyl covering.

The only info I've ever found on them is in Orions, and that is just pawnshop values.

The official Infinity site doesn't acknowledge them but if memory serves, it only goes back to 1990. That would make the E-L's from sometime in the late 80's. I've never seem a pair on ebay.

Buzz is right, they sound fine. To me, that means 'better than ratshack' but not high end. I'd agree that $50 is about the right high limit for these.:)

Thanks for your info jay. A friend was considering bidding on the speakers, and asked me what they were worth.

They really are difficult to find reference to on the web.

Late 80's puts the speakers a good 5 to 8 years newer than I guessed they would be - not that I would have any clue whatsoever as to guess their year.

The auction is over US$50, so I got back to the friend saying its probably not worth his while even if they are apparently 'never been used'.

Nope- not vintage: They date to 1991 and listed in Audio Magazine's October 1991 Annual Directory Issue.

A really nice vintage 2- way Infinity speaker would be the Infinity Qe (1978-80). Replaced by the RSe in later 1980- but I think the Q models sound superior.

If you're on Ebay- have a look at #1379186299. This is the bigger brother to the Qe's and is a 3 way system with 10" woofer. This particular model on Ebay is an early example- how do I know? - because if you look at the photo- you'll notice the grilles are secured onto the speaker via a strip of velcro. The later models used 4 posts in each corner to secure the grilles on- as on the Qb 's I have.

Owning a pair of Qb's, I can assure they sound EXCELLENT- and would be a MUCH BETTER buy than the El's. The one's on Ebay arent quite in the nicest of condition (sigh..people who lack the common sense to take care of nice things should really be slapped) but they will still sound very good and being less than Mint- might work to an advanatge at getting them for a next- to nothing- price.

The choice is yours to make, but I have no reason to steer you wrong. The Quantum & Q models of the late 70's are much better than the mediocre RS models and just plain bad SM models of the 80's and 90's.

Back
Top Bottom