Infinity WTLC Rebuild

From what I've read, quite bit of speaker design involves tweaking ideas and experimentation, a combination of science and art/alchemy, in order to come up with the desired-preferred sound, preferred being the key word.
A sealed cabinet with two woofers would definitely show signs of cancellation if one woofer was wired out of phase.
The WTLC isn't sealed and Infinity went as far as defining it as a transmission line cabinet with two "opposing" woofers, so I'm not so sure the phasing rule would apply with it's two woofers:dunno:
I'm not a speaker designer I just enjoy listening to them.

For sure WTLC isn't sealed, but boxes are completely filled with damping material in original design which makes me think that it would weaken the bass a lot. So i'll probably use a different material something like this

images (3).jpeg

This is called "bondex foam" which is designed for acoustic insulation and has good amount of density. These are being sold in different thickness and i'm gonna buy this in 30mm thickness. Definitely worth to try, a pair of 100x100 cm plates costs something like 15-20 bucks.

So, after many months of burn-in, proper set-up and configurations, old champs are finally back in life!

Here’s the first impressions. For my ears, choosing 6.8uF caps for mid-tweeters are absolutely wrong decision for this speakers. Vocals are boosted up so much, and upper regions have lost its crystal clear characteristics. Speakers have became much more natural and dry, but the excitement and joyfulness is a bit decreased. Maybe it’s because the mids are smaller than original ones. Mines are original too, but they’re 2’’ ones instead of stock 3’’ drivers (I just bought two pairs of 3’’ ones, they’ll come in a month). Also I’ve ditched the U-shaped bottom stand and made my own thick stainless steel stands and spikes, soundstage is now more clear and instrument separation became a lot better.

Back when I was given the boxes to get refurbished, some wild idea was running in my mind. Actually I was inspired from Bose’s Acoutimass woofers, which has multiple inner chambers that has been connected each other via ports. So I’ve thought about dividing cabinet’s interior. Took the risk, did it. Results? Approx. %30 increased bass performance with better tightness and response. Also changed the internal insulation material with 15mm thick rock wool. It was pain in the a?? To cut and place them, but worth it.

I started this project with the goal of making them the best WTLCs in the world. Can’t say if there are better ones somewhere, but it’s definitely sounding way too ahead of its time.

Here are some pics of them. Enjoy!

20190424_184335.jpg

Here's how i divided inner chamber in 2 sections

20190429_180144.jpg

A close-up look from bottom woofer to top

20190429_203206.jpg

New crossover that i've built from scratch.

20190429_223913.jpg

Here's where i placed the crossover. Cabinet is sitting upside down here, so crossovers are now at very top of speaker.

20190430_123754.jpg

It's the rear tweeter, wired out of phase.

20190613_001718.jpg

Terminal plate with WBT terminals, 2mm thick stainless steel.

20190613_001705.jpg 20190430_011559.jpg

And here's how it looks in the end. The feets i've designed are 5mm thick, 3cm width and 44cm length stainless steel. One last thing to do is to get a good thick marble plate to use it as a speaker platform, and it's done.

Back
Top Bottom