Infinity's State of the Art Speakers

The "newer" Infinities (from 1990's) that utilize the IMG woofer (RS XXX, Reference, Crescendo, etc) are relatively sensitive, even the ones with the EMITs. 90db+ That woofer is graphite and extremely light weight. I don't know if that's what allows for the higher sensitivity, but my guess is the IMG woofer is the common denominator.

Oh, add Kappa 5.1 to your list of big bookshelves with EMITs that sound great (and are easy to drive). I stupidly sold a mint pair for $175.
Not so the Modulus, another two way system, the Kappa 5.1 is a three way, apples to oranges.

The sensitivity could relate to the ported design, but I find the systems with the Emit seem to require more juice than the Polycell systems to sound their best.

Last edited:
The "newer" Infinities (from 1990's) that utilize the IMG woofer (RS XXX, Reference, Crescendo, etc) are relatively sensitive, even the ones with the EMITs. 90db+ That woofer is graphite and extremely light weight. I don't know if that's what allows for the higher sensitivity, but my guess is the IMG woofer is the common denominator.

Oh, add Kappa 5.1 to your list of big bookshelves with EMITs that sound great (and are easy to drive). I stupidly sold a mint pair for $175.
What makes them more sensitive and easier to drive is that they are bass reflex (aka ported) speakers. The older, lower sensitivity, difficult-to-drive models are all acoustic suspension (ie. sealed box) designs. Some of these older designs also had complex crossovers designed to tighten and extend bass response and were especially difficult to drive, often requiring a high-current amp that was stable into a 1 or 2 ohm load. The Kappa 9, in particular, can make many amps crawl into a corner and whimper.

Thanks for the conversation. It is a good education from those who know. Enjoying this thread. I am leaving the 325s as they are. I am going to replace my other systems speakers with Infinity upgrades and replacement for the non Infinity speakers.. I have added the Kappa 5.1 to my list. I believe I will search for them to replace my Infinity SM 115s from one of my other systems. Who know where it will lead from there?

^^^Too bad you live in PA as I have bought all the big Infinity speakers in the state:) ....just kidding, but I do have many. You really do have to look every day as they do not last long if they are at a reasonable price. Kappa 5.1 are hard to find. Saw some along with a pair of 7.1 for a very nice price not too long ago but someone else bought them. Glad you like those 325.
Jim

Mine still sound fine, ren 90, mid 90's
it's not much of a sample size, 1 pair, but that's all I got.

Anyone know how well infinity's EMIMs age? Does the kapton shrivel with age and buzz like other ribbon speakers?
From what I've read, most films like Kapton age really well (relatively ageless).
I'm not sure that true ribbons will tend to buzz like like the magnetic planars that might have their "ribbons" become unglued and rattle and buzz against the film substrate.
I've never seen the ribbon become unglued on an emit/emim.

Anyone know how well infinity's EMIMs age? Does the kapton shrivel with age and buzz like other ribbon speakers?
No they don't, I believe infinity's older style mylar drivers pre 90's get wavey from being over driving, the newer style He drivers that have kapton backings from the 90's are better with heat, I've actually seen a few of them that were overdriven to the point that their traces de laminate from the kapton backing but the kapton was still pretty flat.

This evening, I picked up a set of RSb's. No woofers and cabinets not in the best condition. I bought them for the Emmits. Crossovers, mids and Emmits tested out. The Emmits look like they are new. Picked up a set of RS 3000 as part of the deal. My new project begins. May try the Emmits in the RS 3000 or if I can find a good set of replacement woofers for a reasonable price. I may restore the RSb's. Continuing the hunt. Who knows what else I may find.

This evening, I picked up a set of RSb's. No woofers and cabinets not in the best condition. I bought them for the Emmits. Crossovers, mids and Emmits tested out. The Emmits look like they are new. Picked up a set of RS 3000 as part of the deal. My new project begins. May try the Emmits in the RS 3000 or if I can find a good set of replacement woofers for a reasonable price. I may restore the RSb's. Continuing the hunt. Who knows what else I may find.

And so it begins....
enjoy the journey.

Don't f... with the 325's, there's something special about them, I've had three pair go through here. The only reason I don't have them, they were gifted to family members lol. I also have infinitys with the Emit-K and yes they're great, best I've ever heard, but they were designed with the Emit not with the Polycell. The 325 is 92db sensitive, the Emit is super power hungry, I don't see a good match.
FYI, I use a Akai AM2800 as my main amp with the 325s. I tested my Yamaha RXV 1070 for a comparison. Results were similar. I did aquire two Emit K tweeters. Tested them on the 325s yesterday. Used both amps and music selection was the same. Call me tone deaf, but the Emits actually seemed to take away from it. Maybe it's the acoustics of the room? Had to do it. Curiousity and the Emit following and promotion had me sold. You were absolutely correct. Don't f.. with them. Not a good match. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
This pair I picked up are 7 Kappa. What is the difference between 7 and the 7A? Is there a difference ?

This pair I picked up are 7 Kappa. What is the difference between 7 and the 7A? Is there a difference ?
I wish I knew. I have a pair of Kappa 8 and a pair of 8A and they seem identical from the outside (although one is black and one is oak, both finishes were available with both models). all drivers are the same. I suspect whatever differences there are are limited to the crossover.

Swechsler, doesn't your 8 have the emit-K and the 8A an emit-R. I'm betting it is the crossover that's the biggest difference between the 2.

Near as I can tell, A's and non-A's are identical. The A's were no easier to drive than the non-A's. The EMIT-r was introduced with the Kappa x.1i series, which were much more amp-friendly.

Back
Top Bottom