Infinity's State of the Art Speakers

My first post was concerning my system 1 speakers. The RS-325s and a dual sub. They are lifers and the setup and room compliment each other in astounding ways. I would do a comparison of system 1 vs system 2 with the 7 Kappas. But it wouldn't be a fare comparison. The Kappas are in a larger unfinished room. Insulated and base flooring. No hard wood floors nor drywall at this time. The room now has made it on my top ten priority list. I will say this concerning the two systems. The Kappas have a brauder, deeper bass. System 1 is snappy and a little punchy in comparison.

I warmed up the Yamaha this evening with the 7kappas. Wanted to see if it would fry with AC/DC Back in Black and Metallica Reload at a considerable volume. Not my primary listening music, but a great test. I tuned in the speakers with Amp and they certainly enjoy the increased power. The more I pushed them, the more they opened up. I did dial back the bass a little. The polycones produced what I was hoping for with this type of music. Anything less would be a disappointment.

Lifers, Den System 1
Perfect for small to medium size room.

Infinity
RS-325
PR: 10-150 wpc
FR: 65Hz-25KHz (+/- 3db)
Crossover freq: 3.3 KHz
Sensitivity: 92 dB (2.83volts / 1meter)
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms /Tested at 3.8 ohm at wire post
Woofer 6.5 IMG with phase plug
Tweeter: .75 Ferrofluid Cooled Polycell
PMS into 6 ohms

Subwoofer:
From Infinity Micro II system
Woofers (2) 902-5794/A9221 each tested at 3.9-4.0 ohms
PR: 10-100 wpc
Freq Response: 90dB @2.8 volts, 1 meter
Imped 6-8ohms / Tested 4.2 at wire post

Note: Connected, it meters at 2.7 ohms at wire ends connecting to amp. Depending on your amp, you may need to add a sub amp.

If you put it together, you will be surprised and gradified.:)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone on this thread for your input and direction. I'm enjoying my upgraded Infinity experience. Going to take this level to completiion. Next level will take some time. It will require enhansing Amps to higher wattage levels. Once I put that together. Then I will be ready for the next stage of this Infinity journey.
Best Regards

A few years back, in the MN Twin Cities area we had an audio get-together. On display were a pair of, I believe, Reference Standards. The speakers had been built by Arnie for the owner of Audio Research and had been in storage a long time. It was said they were the only Standards veneered in Walnut. There is some more back-story as to how they had changed hands and what the then, current owner had in mind.

That day, they were driven by a large Parasound and a Large tube amp. The A/C was not working and the room was warm but the sound was incredible. It was an experience I won't forget.

I know the speakers, as the owner told me the story behind them. I still have a picture of them I think somewhere in my photo bucket site. He sold them so they are out their somewhere.

For Kappa owners information.
I contacted Watkins to see if they still produced a dual coil 5 inch mid woofer. I wanted to experiment with my Kappa 7s. I assume the answer was no. What they offer as a replacement for the polydome is as followed..
Our single coil WE-1 Audax 5" midrange costs $168.00 and works well as a replacement for the Kappa 6 through Kappa 9 with no cabinet modifications other than new screw holes.

How long ago was this. Not many deals I’ve seen lately and I don’t miss seeing much at least in the north east. I have QLS1,2,3,4,RSII,IIb,2.5 and they all were in various states of condition and far below most prices you see. Best deal was the qls2 for $175.00. You can find deals you just have to look everyday, be ready to make a drive, pounch with cash, no bs and be nice to the seller. Works almost every time...

I see Paul, you are in CA. I’m sure you can find nice deals if you are diligent.

I found the RSIIas earlier this year by total chance: I was looking at a Youtube video that was about two years old, that someone had posted trying to sell his RSIIbs. In the comments section, about two weeks before I found the video, someone had posted that he had a pair stuck in his closet that he was not listening to. I asked about them in the comments section on the Youtube video page, and about a week later, heard back. The owner, a very honest, and fair man, was a little concerned that one side of woofers were "shorted" out, but we went and Paul ran some test tones, everything worked, and we got them for $500--a great deal. Brought them home, pulled a woofer out of the cabinet with the dead woofers, tightened the input jack retaining nuts that had some loose, and they were good to go.

The only drawback was that there was no bass contour Eq, however, so we kept our eyes open for one. My brother (Paul) found one in the Pacific Northwest at some Ebay garage-seller-type page, that appeared to be in perfect condition. He wanted $200, and I grabbed it, especially as the two others I have seen were posted at $600 each--insanity!

If you find a pair, the Eq is very important to extending the bass. It really brought things alive down low, and truly completes the speakers--it's a must have.

Last edited:
Hey Windsor nice deal on the rs2b. They are keepers and all most of us with medium sized listening space will ever need. Bass controller is key to getting the most out of them. There are some nice modern pro eqs which I’m sure would equalize the low end in most rooms.

Glad you're loving them and feel you've found your "lifers". That's more than most of us neurotic Infinity lovers can say! We just keep wanting to move up the chain with no end in sight!

With that said, the RS 325's are considered one of the "lesser" Infinity models because they don't utilize an EMIT tweeter. Infinity always put EMITs in their better models. And EMIT really is a special tweeter. If you want to look for more Infinities to experiment with, you could look for some RS 4000 or Crescendo 3006, which are of similar size to the RS 325, but are 3 way and have an EMIT tweeter. They should sound even better. Good luck!
Picked up a pair of CS 3006's. They were in bad shape. Restoring them. Going to go with a walnut or cherry finish.

Attachments

• 20181002_133329.jpg
    20181002_133329.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20181002_133305.jpg
    20181002_133305.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 25
Prepped and ready for stain. Going with Kona shade of stain.Its will be very dark. Between Ebony and dark walnut.

Attachments

• 20181003_114401.jpg
    20181003_114401.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20181003_114352.jpg
    20181003_114352.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20181003_114340.jpg
    20181003_114340.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 15
Gents, can you please advise what would be a fair price for the Epsilons these days, assuming good overall condition and no technical issues?

Almost there. Speakerworks package arrived today. Simplyspeakers package should be here tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20181006_002951.jpg
    20181006_002951.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20181006_003021.jpg
    20181006_003021.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom