Info - identification thrift store find

Moth R. Superior

IMG_1372.JPG
Thrift store find. I picked them up because of the Phenolic ring tweeter, I figured there's gota be SOMETHING good about them..
But the name "Acoustics" is the name of notorious kabuki or white van speakers.
Bottom line is they sound great!
any info?
Thanks
-Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 237
CTS or Gefco o matics. I’ll bet they were a house brand, and I’ll bet they can rock out.
You are correct! THey F**n RIP! The bass separation is off tha hook! The highs go well paired with my Genesis Model 1's and even though the Genesis isn't lacking in the bass department in the least, they brought it home in tandem. Synergy in the finest form! I'm powering them through a Pioneer SX-750 (with a little bit of help from a HK -EQ7) But I might bump it up to my Technics 5570 and feel how 85 WPC will bring them out a bit more than 50 WPC.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that this is a different ''Acoustics" brand speakers than the "white van" brand out there....
You know the ones , "DIGITAL READY" :crazy:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that this is a different ''Acoustics" brand speakers than the "white van" brand out there....
You know the ones , "DIGITAL READY" :crazy:
Hey, I resent that! I had a pair of "Research Acoustics" with "liquid cooled" tweeters that I beat the crap out of through the early 80's -90's. They actually sounded pretty good, never distorted and could go loud. Still have them, In storage now and when my son moves out, they will go with him.

Phenolic tweeters are common in a lot of early 1970's speakers. In my opinion they can be a bit aggressive if the woofer diameter is less than 12" and/or in a sealed box.

Couple those with that Piezo horn = "Honey, where are the ear plugs?"

Are you sure that's a piezo? I've seen non-piezo tweeters that looked similar to that in CV and EPI speakers, among others. Here's an example:

epi-magnus-1200.jpg

Hey, I resent that! I had a pair of "Research Acoustics" with "liquid cooled" tweeters that I beat the crap out of through the early 80's -90's. They actually sounded pretty good, never distorted and could go loud. Still have them, In storage now and when my son moves out, they will go with him.
My apologies. I didn't mean to cap on yer sh*t. (operative word being... er, to each their own!) :thumbsup:
I've a pair of speakers like that (loud, never-tired) it came in the form of Altec Model 9's that were completely gutted, and replace with garbage. Very loud garbage.

Phenolic tweeters are common in a lot of early 1970's speakers. In my opinion they can be a bit aggressive if the woofer diameter is less than 12" and/or in a sealed box.

Couple those with that Piezo horn = "Honey, where are the ear plugs?"
You are correct. It's a good thing there are two potentiameters on the front to try and wrangle a bit of the highs, couple that with the GENESIS highs and wow!
PLENTY of bass though to back it up! that's why I like them.

Back
Top Bottom