info on Altec Lansing Model 15's

mosteller

I gotta chance to pic up a pair of altec model 15s tomorrow. I dont know anythiing about altec,but im very picky on sound . Does anyone have any knowledge about these?

Attachments

• 3n43ma3o35Q55U15S3a854843311a969816a4.jpg
    3n43ma3o35Q55U15S3a854843311a969816a4.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 3n73oa3l65V55W15U5a859080dd76dfd4158f.jpg
    3n73oa3l65V55W15U5a859080dd76dfd4158f.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 94
Nice Altecs, the 15s are studio monitors with a ton of bass, and a very nice high end. The 15s are getting harder to find and commanding some decent coin, make sure the H.F. Driver is original, it should be the very sought after 802-8G, or part # 033952 stamped on back of driver. Good luck, very nice find.

i really need someone to describe the sound and the worth of these speakers before i spend my last dollar on them...help please

Ignore thebadone's synopsis at your own peril. Ballsy bass, the famous Altec open high end, a very good party rock n roll speaker in a smaller footprint. Not a speaker for refined classical music listening. Likes to crank.

Basically agree with the other posters.

The engineers should have never allowed the marketing department to call them "monitors".

Their value exceeds their quality of sound IMO.

15's are the only Altecs that i continuously wrestle with whether to sell or keep.

FWIW the 15's in the OP are "series II".

Last edited:
they are selling for $ 250 , without the grill, ansome veneer chipping? is it worth it money wise

They are a good Altec speaker, not the best, but worth the asking price. I had a set I sold many years ago for $500 with newly reconed woofers. The horn drivers are their selling point. Yes, get them before they are gone. Agree, not studio monitor, home speakers.

They are HOME speakers. The have a upfront center row midrange sound with high frequencies you will seldom find in your average home stereo set of speakers. The bass is adequate for most likes, unless of course you are looking to blow the windows out. IMO they are good for rock music. The horns are plastic, not metal.

Last edited:
I've owned a pair of 15's for 30 years or so.

They Rock!

I have little to compare them to as few people I know have any sort of quality system.

They will easily fill a large room, but mine live in a 12 x 14 room so they reallly cannot breathe.

The woofers are not Alinco, they are a bean counter special from RCA. The horns are plastic. I blew a diaphram about 20 years ago, had them reconed and put in new caps.

Someone asked one time why I had such large speakers. I responded that I enjoyed listening to quality music, these were what I wanted and I could pay for them.

Get them and enjoy.

Jack

They were 100% built for home use; not studio monitors in any way shape or form.

FWIW, I'd recommend (in no particular order) Nineteens, Valencias, Santiagos (the latter are under the radar because the hoi-polloi don't like 'em -- but I have a pair in my living room because I think they're very, very good), or gen-u-ine Voice of the Theatre family members (e.g., A7s).

I have had 19's and Valencia's. I prefer the valencia's - backwards from most folks.
Never heard the 15's - I would like to someday.

The woofers are not Alinco, they are a bean counter special from RCA.
Actually the woofers were made by either CTS or Altec themselves. Probably Altec for sure by the time series II arrived with the cast frame, and 1 inch wide mounting rim/gasket.

The whole "RCA" thing comes from the the model number of the re-cone kit RCA33785.

It's probably an abbreviation for "replacement cone assembly", but i cannot back that supposition with any credentials.

FWIW, the 15 woofer is of better quality than anything RCA was producing in the audio field at that point in time.

At $250, you need a lot of reasons NOT to buy them. Cosmetics is not an issue at that garage sale price level. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom