Info on Gray/MicroTrack pro tonearms?

5th beatle

Trying to locate info or web sites devoted to various Gray/MicroTrack professional broadcast tonearms. Believe Gray was the manufacturer of both Gray and MicroTack arms used in recording studios and radio stations. What about home versions of these tonearms? Appreciate any leads or historical info. :scratch2:

The older Grey tonearms sometimes show up on ebay, often on equally old tables. While apparently there are people who use them, I suspect that they are way too massy and high friction for most modern cartridges, so I imagine they are either going to collectors who won't actually use them, or to whatever the audio version of Civil War reenactors is.
The MicroTrak is more plausible for use, but it lacks most of the consumer amenities such as tracking force guage, antiskate, cuing etc., and it looks kind of basic, even agricultural, so I don't think it appealed much to the general consumer, especially since in the seventies, even the best tonearms didn't cost all that much. (Well, maybe the Win and Stax did, but the SME was pretty affordable, as were most others).
I would think one might be a good stopgap on the way to a better arm, but I wouldn't pay very much. (Though its possible that with a better cartridge than the Pickerings my college radio station used, the result might be good -- I can't comment, since I never tried anything else -- I was just a DJ, not staff.)

Gray/MicroTrak professional tonearms

Hi Nat,

It is Gray or Grey? Have seen it both ways. Have a MicroTrak tonearm playing on a Rek-O-Kut L-34 Rondine Jr. witha Grado Blue cartridge. Tracking at 1.7 gr. Sounds pretty good for a 50 year old table. It is pretty basic, no frills. Brushed aluminum headshell, pivot and counterweight. The arm is wood.

5th Beatle

Back
Top Bottom