Info on old archtop

hrballenger

Neighbor lady wanted to know if I could help her I.D. her deceased ( 10 years or so ago ) husbands old guitar. I haven't a clue as to what it is and not getting much info from the web searches.

It's a three hole ( two f holes and one round sound hole), archtop acoustic in not so good condition ( missing knobs on three of the tuners, what appears to be gold-flecked body paint that has aged to a aged brass look,
missing pick board, etc ). Body appears sound, neck needs some attention to straightening.

Headstock appears similar to some Framus and Astro shapes, but the logo is unknown to me ( perhaps it says Fusan under the seven point crown in my lousy photo ??? )

Attachments

• DSC_0757_adj2.jpg
    DSC_0757_adj2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0752_adj1.JPG
    DSC_0752_adj1.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0751_adj2.jpg
    DSC_0751_adj2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 75
You might try 'Fasan guitars' , they are German, made a lot of arch top styled guitars and have been around a while...

Here's one that looks more like yours, other than the sunburst. Headstock the same, fingerboard inlays, and the trapeze tailpiece.

Fasan 3-hole archtop.jpg

Thanks for the info all :) Yep, a Fasan it is. Now, what era? I can't find any pics of that particular body style/gold-flecked finish ( appears to be a laminate, at least on the sides... there is a seam at the bottom where the strap button is ) and with that style logo on the headstock. Worth restoring or refreshing???

Neighbor lady wanted to know if I could help her I.D. her deceased ( 10 years or so ago ) husbands old guitar. I haven't a clue as to what it is and not getting much info from the web searches.

It's a three hole ( two f holes and one round sound hole), archtop acoustic in not so good condition ( missing knobs on three of the tuners, what appears to be gold-flecked body paint that has aged to a aged brass look,
missing pick board, etc ). Body appears sound, neck needs some attention to straightening.

Headstock appears similar to some Framus and Astro shapes, but the logo is unknown to me ( perhaps it says Fusan under the seven point crown in my lousy photo ??? )

Try contacting Don (Thompson) and/or Heinz (Rebellius) @ VintAxe: http://www.vintaxe.com/contributors.php for assistance getting information re: your Fasan archtop.

I would not do a thing to it except clean the wood with a safe cleaner and use lemon oil on the fretboard to recondition it

What he said. and oil those tuners as well. But don't crazy trying to polish things up. Gentle, light clean is all you want.

Back
Top Bottom