Info on Onkyo Remote Interactive(RI) remote control system

turdferguson

Hi, I bought a used Onkyo T-4500 tuner. I got it because it has 20 buttons for the 40 presets. It doesn't have a remote control. It does have 2 jacks on the back for the wired RI remote control system.

I thought about getting a used Onkyo preamp or receiver to connect to the T-4500 so I could use the remote of the receiver or preamp to control the T-4500.

Does anybody know if this is possible? Most of the references I see for the RI system only mention controlling CD players, cassette decks, MD players. I've only found a couple places where a tuner is mentioned.

I haven't been able to find any guide to using the RI system.

Thanks!

I have the RI cable connected between my Onkyo A-9070 amp and C-7030 CD player. As a result the amp will turn on automatically if I push on/off on the CD player, or e.g. 'play' on the CD player. Also, if I turn off the amp, the CD player will turn off automatically.

My 9070 amp came with Onkyo RC-830S remote. This remote has basic controls for my CD player as well, allowing one to play, stop, skip songs etc. It also has a segment labeled 'Dock/Tuner'.

For more info, check out page #20 of the 9070 user manual on the OnkyoUSA website:
http://redirect.onkyousa.com/redirect.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=SN29400849_A-9070_En_web.pdf

Also, Onkyo has a very quick support response time on Facebook. OnkyoUSA is the account name. I sometimes post a question there and get a response within hours, even on weekends.

Hope this helps.

Any RI component without a remote can be controlled by an upstream component with a remote, provided the two are connected by the RI cable (and sometimes the L&R cables, too).

EDIT: Having a receiver upstream likely won't work, because the remote will be trying to change the presets on the receiver and not the tuner. A multi-function remote for a preamp or integrated amp will work, though.

My A-8200 integrated controls my Onkyo cassette and CD player, all interconnected, with the one remote (which also has tuner buttons on it).

And, THANK YOU for knowing that it's RI and not R1...:thmbsp:

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Last edited:
I know I'm two years late, but better then never... :) And perhaps someone else will get some use out of my post.

After fiddling around for two days (and most of the nights) with T-411 tuner and A9010 integrated and searching forums and threads about Onkyo RI connectivity, I've decided to re-check my amp user manual. And it CLEARLY states there that tuner should be on Line 3, CD on Line 1 and Dock on Line2. Mine were mixed in order (depending on use) - nothing worked!!! :confused: I almost hammered everything...;) Connected all of them as stated in manual - miracle happened and everything works, finally! It never crossed my mind that it could be such a stupid thing.. Oh, and If you have digital and Analog inputs, do NOT forget the switch which selects LINE or DIGITAL input control.

And yes, Larry is right - I have older TX-DS 656 as 5.1 setup, tried it via RI with the tuner - it wont work. It just changes presets on the receiver...

Back
Top Bottom