Inherited a vintage McIntosh system, seeking advice.

renotsttam

Hello, this is my first post here. I’m seeking advice on a McIntosh system that I inherited from a family member. It is the following components:
-C32 preamp
-MC2300 amplifier
-XR7 speakers
-MQ102 environmental equalizer

The components are all in good condition minus a few issues with the speakers, they need a few surrounds replaced, the mid drivers I think, and the grill fabric was shredded in a few spots by a cat. The system is currently in storage half way across the country from where I live, and quite frankly I don’t have room for a system this size in my current small apartment, but plan on taking ownership when I have the space for it. I do remember hearing it a few times as a kid and my impression, at least as a 12 year old, was that it was very impressive.
What am I in for with this system? And what would be recommended for repair on the speakers? I looked and it seems the surrounds are readily available. Is this something I could do myself or is it something better left to a professional?
Thanks!

That is one serious McIntosh system that’s been configured there. Someone was very passionate about their music and spent a small fortune putting together a hi-fi to reflect that.

I’m assuming this is a one owner system. If you haven’t inquired already, there should be wood cabinets for the components, (although not the 2300), as well as the original shipping boxes and manuals. Seek these out. Whatever it will cost to ship these items will be a fraction of what the original purchase price was.
If FM listening appeals to you, seek out a pristine MR78 or MR80. Personally I would leave the speaker repair to a qualified professional. Best of luck.

Mail Attachment.jpg Units in storage deteriorate much faster than units used daily. The pre-amp will have to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. With possible repairs to the power supplies. The power amp is going to need a thorough shake down by an experienced tech. Some parts are becoming very rare, so a thorough knowledge of both units is a must for satisfactory return to outstanding performance. The speaker woofers and mids can be easily fixed. If the mids or tweeters are compromised Audio Classics has a great fix. The MQ 102 is pretty basic, but should be thoroughly checked out by techs familiar with its purpose. XR-7's demand the unit, so don't think its not necessary. Though the cost of restoration might be better spent on a MQ 101 or 104.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom