Inherited vintage Marantz, keep or sell?

I inherited a bunch of audio equipment. The lower end equipment is a Marantz 2015 receiver and a 1030 amp. The design is awesome, but they both need repair. (The high end equipment hasn't been unpacked yet, I don't have the space for it right now, the Marantz tuner has a scope and it looks like it has tubes.)

Question 1: Is it worth repairing the 2015 and 1030? Just one or both?
Question 2: Do you know if these two pieces worked together?
I wonder why he had two pieces from the same time period?

The 1030 amp has a hiss on all volumes. On the 2015 receiver, the right channel is much weaker than the left and the lamps are almost out. But it has a wood box and it looks terrific! Right now I using a vintage Pioneer SX-535 in near mint condition, so I don't need the Marantz, but Marantz looks so much better. If it is worth fixing, I may put the Marantz in my office.

Have you had any experiece with repairs on entry level Marantz? Do they keep on breaking down? Or should a good repair keep it running.

happythecat said:
I inherited a bunch of audio equipment. The lower end equipment is a Marantz 2015 receiver and a 1030 amp. The design is awesome, but they both need repair. (The high end equipment hasn't been unpacked yet, I don't have the space for it right now, the Marantz tuner has a scope and it looks like it has tubes.)

Question 1: Is it worth repairing the 2015 and 1030? Just one or both?
Question 2: Do you know if these two pieces worked together?
I wonder why he had two pieces from the same time period?

The 1030 amp has a hiss on all volumes. On the 2015 receiver, the right channel is much weaker than the left and the lamps are almost out. But it has a wood box and it looks terrific! Right now I using a vintage Pioneer SX-535 in near mint condition, so I don't need the Marantz, but Marantz looks so much better. If it is worth fixing, I may put the Marantz in my office.

Have you had any experiece with repairs on entry level Marantz? Do they keep on breaking down? Or should a good repair keep it running.

The build quality on Marantz of this era is excellent and they are definitely worth saving, and even though they are low power units they will perform very well with efficient speakers.

Try cleaning all the controls and interiors of both units. You may find the "weak right channel" is just a dirty control. Also, the "lamps almost out" -- do you mean everal are burned out, or are they just not bright? Lamps are easy to replace and low light may indicate a dirty connection somewhere in the circuit.

Finally, open up all the other boxes you've inherited and you may find a tuner to match up with the 1030 amp. :yes:

Keep us posted on what you find!

number one>>> fix them both there is no pre out on the 2015 and the 1030 is a intergrated amp 2.>>>>>> prolly because he liked the sound of them 3>>>> 2015 would be real nice in your office i just sold mine to upgrade to a concept 5.5 tell us about the tuner with the scope and the tubes i hear they are worthless and you should send it to me right away (just kidding ) prolly have some of those nasty amps and preamps with those nasty tubes in there too don't you they are awful(awful good that is ) if you get achance take pics we made be about the audio but we love the visual side too

If you are saying that you have a marantz tube tuner with a scope..One model comes to mind...10b...Check it and see, if it is, thats arguably the best tuner ever built..period!

Also, it's worth $$$$, but if I had one, I definately wouldn't be selling. However, if your not a big radio fan.......

Why hassle with all this old junk? Scopes? Tubes? Come on, it's obsolete stuff, anyway. Just pack it all (carefully, please!) and send it to me. I'll figure out what to do with it. :D

Seriously, even the lower-end units you mention are still worth fixing up -- if not for yourself, then as a gift for someone who will appreciate nice sound from vintage gear.

Let us know what the "high end" units are once they are unpacked, and then I'm sure you'll get lots of good feedback on what to do with them. If you really do have a 10B there, it is a major "score", in collectible audio terms.

soundweasel said:
The build quality on Marantz of this era is excellent and they are definitely worth saving, and even though they are low power units they will perform very well with efficient speakers.

Try cleaning all the controls and interiors of both units. You may find the "weak right channel" is just a dirty control. Also, the "lamps almost out" -- do you mean everal are burned out, or are they just not bright? Lamps are easy to replace and low light may indicate a dirty connection somewhere in the circuit.

Finally, open up all the other boxes you've inherited and you may find a tuner to match up with the 1030 amp. :yes:

Keep us posted on what you find!

How do I clean all the controls? I already opened up the 2015 and carefully cleaned the interior, it was pretty clean inside.

Both channels worked great on the 2015 until yesterday when I carefully flipped the unit over (of course it was unplugged) to take off the wood box to clean the wood. Now I have a weak right channel. I wonder if I knocked something out of line.

The lamps are out of the left side, and the tuning meter lamp is also out. The pointer and the right third of the dial light up.

I packed all the audio gear myself and there was no entry-level tuner to match the 1030. If I had to pick one, I think I might fix the 2015. What do you think?

Re: efficient speakers. Right now I am using a pair of EPI 90s from my Pioneer SX-535, which I believe are inefficent speakers. They sound pretty good. The 3 sets of speakers I inherited are large and are for the higher end system: JBL D130 (16/32 ohm), Kevek ES-10, and Tannoy.

I'd be curious to know what Tannoy's you've got there..Also, get that damn tuner out of the box...I'm dying to know which one it is..:yes:

marantzfan said:
If you are saying that you have a marantz tube tuner with a scope..One model comes to mind...10b...Check it and see, if it is, thats arguably the best tuner ever built..period!

Yup, I think that's it. It weighs a ton. Right now it's packed like a Sherman tank and is in a safe storage area, so this weekend I will try to take a few photos for you. I initially passed on the tuner since I am not a big FM fan. I did a little research and then immediately changed my mind and picked up the tuner. All the high end gear I am keeping. Absolutely, positively.

The point is, I do not need the 2015, but it is neat. Perhaps I'll sell the Pioneer SX-535 and Marantz 1030 to pay for part of the repair for the 2015. If I posted this on the Pioneer forum, I wonder if they would say keep the Pioneer and sell the Marantz.

Well, the 2015 is what is called a "baby" marantz, because of it's small footprint. That and the fact that its 15wpc. However, it would be a nice little receiver for say, an office.

As for the Pioneer, it's also a nice little receiver, but honestly the Marantz is more collectible.:yes:

Yes, the tuner is a 10b

marantzfan said:
I'd be curious to know what Tannoy's you've got there..Also, get that damn tuner out of the box...I'm dying to know which one it is..:yes:
I just look a peek and it is a Marantz 10b. It was made in New York, not California. I promise to take some photos in the next few days. The Tannoys are in storage out of state, so I don't know the model. I plan to bring the Tannoys home within the next few months. My uncle had top-of-the-line Marantz equipment circa 1960s and when a tube blew in the 1980s he got rid of all of it, except for the 10b. Jeez, I wish he told me, I was shocked to see new equipment at his house. He replaced the vintage Marantz with new 1980s Perreaux; PMF 2150 B (300wpc) amp and SA2 preamp. And that is what I now have.

So the 2015 is just for fun. If I can fix the weak left channel on the 2015 I think I'll sell the Pioneer SX-535. Don't need all that gear. Or do I?

Any suggestions or tips on getting back the weak left channel? How do I clean the controls? Or should I just bring it in to a repair shop.

Spray all the controls and switches with Caig de-oxit and work them until your arm gets tired (about 30-50 times). That should do it. If not then there is some other problem.

DeoxIT tips?

CDFixer said:
Spray all the controls and switches with Caig de-oxit and work them until your arm gets tired (about 30-50 times). That should do it. If not then there is some other problem.

This is a really stupid question, I am an electronics novice, so here goes. Where do I spray the DeoxIT? Just on the front of the controls and switches, correct? (Obviously I'll remove the front plate.) I don't want to do anything stupid.

There appears to be different kinds of Caig DeoxIT. Which do you suggest?

You need to take off the cover. Either top or bottom, depending on how the boards are situated inside. You spray the deoxit into the switch or knowb from the inside of the unit. Normally, there is an entrance where you can just stick the nozzle into. It's pretty simple. You don't need much, a couple short blasts then work each one through the full range of movement about fifty times each. Depending on how dirty the controls are, it may take several treatments to get everything cleaned out.

Remember to unplug and turn off the unit first, and it's suggested you don't power the unit up again for at least an hour, better still 24hrs.

Caig DeOxit D5 is what you want.

You want to spray the contacts of the switches and get the solvent inside the controls. Usually you will find a small hole in each control that will allow for this. One caution do not spray the tuning capacitor of any unit.

happythecat said:
This is a really stupid question, I am an electronics novice, so here goes. Where do I spray the DeoxIT? Just on the front of the controls and switches, correct? (Obviously I'll remove the front plate.) I don't want to do anything stupid.

There appears to be different kinds of Caig DeoxIT. Which do you suggest?

I think the 20XX series are basically set up the same as the 22XX series. To gain access to the controls, instead of removing the front plate, take the bottom cover off. Much easier, you don't need to remove all the knobs and risk scratching them or the faceplate. Or, also like the 22XX series, you can access the controls from the top if you use a longer (non standard) spray hose thingy.

I use DeOxit D5 -- flushing action and slow dry. Seems to be the "standard."

soundweasel said:
I think the 20XX series are basically set up the same as the 22XX series. To gain access to the controls, instead of removing the front plate, take the bottom cover off. Much easier, you don't need to remove all the knobs and risk scratching them or the faceplate. Or, also like the 22XX series, you can access the controls from the top if you use a longer (non standard) spray hose thingy.

I use DeOxit D5 -- flushing action and slow dry. Seems to be the "standard."

Thank you! I really appreciate the tips you suggested. I will look for DeoxIT D5 this weekend and let you know if it solves the weak left channel problem. Not that you care, but just to be accurate, the high-end non-Marantz amp is 200 wpc, not 300.

RE: 10b - I'll post some photos of the 10b Thursday evening. Stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom