1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

inproving safety in old hot chassis (1947)

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by elnaldo, Nov 10, 2018.

1. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

Hello. Restoring this old COLLARO MICROGRAM, I see the output transformer (and speaker) is connected to mains. Parts are supposed to be "non accesible", but I'd like to know if I could improve safety in this case, if there is a way to isolate the output transformer from mains, perhaps with a properly sized safety capacitor. Actually I don't know the purpose of this connection. I'd prefer a floating output transformer if possible.

Schematic attached:
    Collaro Microgram Circuit-V2.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

It needs to be connected to ground to complete the negative feedback loop. You'd need a fair size capacitor to make this work, large enough that it may as well be directly connected to chassis like it already is. You could replace the power transformer with a real one instead of the autoformer that it currently uses though. That would give you mains isolation.

3. arts

arts Super Member

Yikes,a 220V hot chassis:yikes:

Isolation transformer,no question.