Input on Component Selection

SoulMan4432

First off, I went back and forth about which forum to post this in, but since my interest in and questions are predominantly about vintage gear I figured this would be the best place to post this. Please move if I have misjudged.

Background Info
Have a Yamaha CA-2010 and YP-D6 (professionally rebuilt) with top-of-the-line StudioLab speakers (refoamed by me) in the family but since I have now moved some way away from home and only get to use it once in a blue moon, I am looking to build my own quality setup to listen to my fairly large vinyl collection.

What I Have/Want
To start, I just picked up a new Rega Planar 3/RP3. Planning to go with an Ortofon 2M Blue unless someone has a better suggestion in that (or cheaper) price range. Music is mostly classical, jazz, soul/Motown, and classic rock. Very little modern/hip-hop/dance/electric/etc.

Currently looking for amps/speakers. Will only be used for the TT and in a smaller-sized room. This is for personal/small group listening.

I prefer used (I do love a good vintage setup), though don't want to pay a premium for an amp that will need to be completely rebuilt.

Budget for cartridge, amp(s), and speakers is about $1.2k USD though ideally less if possible. Can also go a touch higher for the "right" setup.

Don't have any experience with tube amps but certainly open to them. Would need some advice on proper tube amp usage and maintenance, etc.

Some Options I Have Available To Me
Have a line on a NOSValve Deluxe Restored (8 years ago) HH Scott 299A in the $500-575 USD range. Was wondering if this is a route worth exploring and if so what speakers would be appropriate to mate to the system. I also have a line on some Monitor Audio R952/MDs in the $400 USD range or some KEF 104/2's in the $600 USD range. The Kefs are a fair bit of a drive to get to though so it's not ideal.

For quiet (don't annoy the fiancée) listening I have some AT ATH-M40x's.

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that I am very handy and am a capable woodworker, so if there is a cost-effective speaker build out there that will outperform anything I can buy for the money then it's something I'll consider, but my time is at a huge premium right now and I'm lacking workshop space due to the fun of home buying.

Any insight is welcome! Located in the (Greater) Detroit area though I frequently travel to Toronto.

Thanks for reading!

You didn't mis-judge the forum to use, this forum is mis-labeled. It has the vintage tag because the powers that be want it to say that. The forum is for the separate components, not the receivers, generally but when they made this forum they threw in all kinds of old threads about anything that was the good stuff back then and came up with a name, the only one on AK with Vintage in the title so folks gravitate to it because that is their interest, vintage junk. I troll here because it is the place to talk about the good stuff. Separate preamps, power amps and integrated amps that cost more than the receivers and frequently were made by a company that did not make a receiver.

In your case, the CA-2010 is a fine integrated amp and although the Yamaha Forum is great to discuss that, what you are looking for is some nice gear, the KEFs especially get a shoutout when mentioned.

I would consider subscribing to AK and posting your WTD in the Barter Town forums available to subscribers. You will be flooded with responses from folks wanting to sell gear to you and surprisingly some of it might be like what you mention you want. Others will be over budget, lesser than what you want or something completely different. That $25 for a year will give you time to buy some stuff, sell some stuff and really get addicted. Pricing is fair and folks are generally good to deal with...check the feedback forum for that info.

You are asking a general question...good for General forums
You are asking about pricing...must be put in the dollars and sense forum
You did a fine job of talking about what you want, apparently your experience with the CA-2010 makes you desire another amp and not a receiver (add tuner to the amp in same box).

There should be some AKers in your area that might have stuff available so you could possibly get a chance to listen before you buy, always best with speakers. Good Luck, welcome to AK and let us know if you subscribe. You can find out how through the red banner link on the front page.

@SoulMan4432 how are you coming along on your quest to grab some good gear to make a system?

If you want more folks to see this and comment, hit the report button on your first post and ask a mod to move it to General or if you want solid state gear, to Solid State. This forum is quieter than a number of the others.

@Blue Shadow

Sorry for the slow reply. Had a fully restored Sansui AU-8500 lined up but due to some miscommunication that deal fell through, but if all goes well I will be picking up a freshly serviced Kenwood Supreme 600 this coming Saturday. I have bought a few accessories for my new Planar 3 (Groovetracer reference subplatter and weights, 'white' Rega belt, record weight) and am currently still have a heck of a time trying to figure out what speakers to go with. Trying to keep it in the <= $600 USD range for a nice set of floorstanders, but there are so many options and so many opinions on everything that I am having trouble deciding. Besides condition of the cones/foam/etc., what am I looking/listening for with vintage speakers? Are there any easy ways to tell if electrical work will be required?

Aside from speakers, I just need to get a cartridge. Thinking of the Ortofon 2M Blue, but still deciding.

With vintage speakers there is a lot available but it is easier to accept something that shows up in your area than to set your sites on some particular make or model. Popular speakers here on ak are ADS, Polk, Dahlquist, Klipsch, KEF (a few of them including the 104/2), DCM, Magneplanar, Boston Acoustics and a number of others but these have floor standers. I consider any box speaker 1' x 1' x 2' and smaller a bookshelf speaker but they can be put a stand to be a floor stander, especially the larger ones.

With your musical tastes, you need a balanced speaker. Would be good if you had the ability to hear a few to decide. In your area there should be some offerings on Craigslist and maybe an opportunity to listen to some of them. If you have questions about a speaker search AK for that model and get answers. don't post a CL link in Dollars and Sense forum (only place allowed) and ask, others will see it and go for the item if it is a deal or something they want.

I wrote this about some speakers I sold back then. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...e-windows-1a-or-bose-901.387003/#post-4889006 Maybe that will help you think about the sound you want from speakers and post of that in the Speakers forum to get so input from the collective.

I now have the 901s, MG-IIIa, Time Window, Dahlquist, Boston A200 and ADS 1590/2, too many need to let some go but these I have collected to enjoy and compare because I had the room. But the room is full, I gotta stop.

Back
Top Bottom