Input voltage for Tablet

Jbmorrey

i recently purchased a Magnavox console Tube amp that was assembled to be a stand alone unit from Analog Addict and he made quite a nice sounding amp, I am very pleased with it. I understand that when this amp is hooked up to a CD Player, the input voltage is too high and causes distortion even at low volumes. Would this also be the case if I hooked up an RCA to 3.5mm to listen to Spotify through my Apple IPad as a source? I just don’t want to hook it up and test it in case that might cause damage to either unit. Thanks so much everyone.

James

i recently purchased a Magnavox console Tube amp that was assembled to be a stand alone unit from Analog Addict ... I understand that when this amp is hooked up to a CD Player, the input voltage is too high and causes distortion even at low volumes.
James

Not trying to be a jerk but I beg to differ. I've had a couple of restored and or modded Maggie amps and when connected to my Denon DCD-1500 it sounded fine no distortion whatsoever at low volumes or medium to high volumes.

When you say you "understand that" I'd be interested in what you mean by that.

Well, when I purchased the amp, I was told about the distortion by the gentleman that built the amp, here is the thread for the build.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/maggie-175-67-restore.352623/

I am very happy with the work he has done to the amp, it’s great. I had no intention on hooking it up to anything but my turntable, so through my Project Phono preamp, it has absolutely no hum at all. The builder said he tried to hook up a CD player and the sound distorted. Because I was not planning on hooking up a CD player, I was only interested in how it sounds through a phono stage, and it sounds great. I am just considering hooking up my tablet. In regards to different CD players, I apologize, I should have not made a blanket statement about hooking up to a CD player in general.
Now possibly a CD player with a variable output might work, but I just wanted to know if the output that a tablet puts out would be enough let me hook it all up.

James

Your tablet should be fine. If its too hot, go into the menu settings and turn down the volume. You could add level controls at the inputs of the amp. It's not hard to do and there is a thread around here somewhere that shows a diagram of how to do it. :cool:

Your tablet should be fine. If its too hot, go into the menu settings and turn down the volume. You could add level controls at the inputs of the amp. It's not hard to do and there is a thread around here somewhere that shows a diagram of how to do it. :cool:

Ok thanks, I am not too familiar with tube amps and did not want to damage it in any way.

James

Now possibly a CD player with a variable output might work,
James

My Denon has the variable outs and thus allows me to control the volume via remote and does work fine. I have not tried a CDP with fixed outs. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable then me can clarify if fixed outputs causes distortion.

Possible overload level concerns a side, there is also a matter of the overly bright resultant tone, from sending a non RIAA equalized CD player`s low impedance output into a RIAA equalized phono input, without have the capability to turn, at least the treble down for a bit of reasonable tonal balance of the CD played music..

An un-RIAA equalized line level input built into the maggie , or line level to phono RIAA corrected adaptor might be the easy answer.

Most of those devices don't have as strong an output as a CD player. Most I've run into are about a half volt at best. Magnavox amps in stock form only need about that much to hit full output though, so you're good.

CD player as long as the level is cut down enough to be reasonable will not cause distortion. With no level control its probably going to be overdriven, excessively loud, and heavily distorted as a result. Same as anything if you wind the loud knob all the way up really.

Back
Top Bottom