Inside and Out Series: Sony STR-6036A

M Jarve

Audio Geek and NGE Freak
Here is my inaugural photo series with my new camera. It is a Sony STR-6036A stereo receiver I picked up via the local free shopper for a diminutive $10.00. Of course it had all the problems of an older receiver, and the owner was hesitant about charging anything for it, as we could get nothing but static sounds from any input. I convinced her that it was nothing I could not handle, and $10.00 was all she would take for it (she had originally asked $30.00). She and her late husband were heavy smokers, so the front, top, and sides were pretty well caked in cigarette slime, and even after several cleanings it still smells of stale cigarettes, but it is tolerable. After several months, I still have it airing out in the basement.

I cleaned the pots and installed new light bulbs, one of which was defective from the factory, as it blew immediately. The top/side cover is made of plywood and is veneered in real wood. This was a delightful little surprise, especially because my suspicions say that this unit was at or near the bottom of the line.

Construction quality is very good, and everything is laid out nicely and it is easy to work on. The tuner looks to be of a pretty healthy design. The power amplifier consists of two Sony branded STK-0054’s (one per channel), and the power supply caps are good sized too. Measuring the secondary voltage on the transformer, I am guessing this is about 20 watts per channel ( (V^2/I)/2=P for class AB power method). The transformer and power supply seem to agree with that guess.

For a system with STK outputs, it handles low-impedance loads very well. With my Wharfedale Diamond 7.2ALE speakers, the heatsinks never became more than moderately warm with moderately loud listening over the course of half an hour. The power amp board also contains some sort of vacuum tube protection system (vacuum enclosed circuit breaker?) for each channel.

Listening to it, it is slightly warm of neutral with the tone controls at flat, and the loudness contour on. It can go quite loud and it clips gracefully without hard distortion or other nasties. In general, it is very similar to the h/k 330c in terms of sound and performance. I really like the appearance too.

Last edited:
Mike,
Great tro see you´re enjoying your new camera already, and you´re not doing too bad either.
As for that receiver seems really nice for $10.
Jorge

Mike - nice job! Looks great. It is gratifying to clean up a receiver and get it sounding good.

Chris, I know you are a TOTL guy (nothing wrong with that!), but it can be fun to check out the babys too! Try a H/K 330c sometime.

Not to answer for Mike, but I think free shopper is one of those tabloid sized newsprint ads only publications. Tradin' Times, Auto-mart, etc. You don't pay if the item doesn't sell.

Here's to a great 2006!

Jim

I've got one of those. I know nothing about it. Got it before the collecting bug really got hold of me and really have not tried to research it any. How old is it?

mac

Mike,

I just joined this site. I have a Sony STR-6046A which is almost exactly like your 6036A. The 46 has a microphone mixer on it and a preamp bypass switch and jacks on the back. I do have a question. Mine used to work just fine back in college (mid to late 90s). It was in storage for some time and I took it out to find one channel had went out. The left channel just buzzes while the right channel comes in loud and clear. What do you think could be wrong? I am not an expert in repair but can tinker some if I knew what I was doing. I can solder, etc. Do you think that is something fixable? Well let me know if you can. My email is clemsonbloke@yahoo.co.uk , thanks!

-Kevin

mjarve,
nice little unit!
That was my first back in the end seventys to beginning eightys!
sometimes it hurts to see those stuff from the past!
Think i have to look for that thing!

My first receiver was a STR-6046A, one step up from the 6036. It's rated at 20 watts/channel, though when tested at an amp clinic (IIRC sponsored by Phase Linear) it did 25 watts/channel with 0.1% THD. Sony was supposed to have rated their units conservatively.

I think the little bulbs on the power supply board are thermal protectors - little strips of thermostatic bimetal (actually trimetal) with a contact welded on, enclased in glass. The strip heats up, due to current or ambient temperature, and it snaps open; cools down it snaps shut.

I still have my 6046A, but it's not functioning. I don't think it's a problem for god (good ol' deoxit), either. The last time I checked it, it gave very low volume, yet made my woofer cones go in and out slowly. I'm not a repair technician; when I opened the unit up, all I could see that might be wrong is an electrolytic capacitor with some brownish stuff around the base, my guess is a leak. Now for some fun in trying to de-solder the capacitor and pull it out. Added to that is my fear that all the heat will cause the thing to explode and spread corrosive crud everywhere, kind of like napalm.

And another problem is that this receiver is available at such low cost that repair components, like electrolytic caps, might be more expensive than another unit.

It's a shame, because the receiver is a handsome little beast, and the controls have a solid feel. And connection of two sets of speakers to the receiver is the correct way: in parallel (I guess units from this era could survive low-impedance loads). That's unlike '80's-era chintziness, in which speaker sets were connected in series, and you have to connect them two separate ways to get A or B vs. (A) or (A and B). Not only that, but Sony supplied a schematic with the unit.

alwayslooking said:
Cheaply made, badly laid out, rotten wood
(I'll post pics of mine soon) Shhhhhh :nono:

I couldn´t make out whether you were kidding or really serious.
If you´re serious, let me say that´s a pretty broad generalization to make about of of the great names in this industry.
Jorge

It can be hard to translate, but he is saying not to let everyone know how good the Sony's are--the price will increase and we won't be able to buy them on the cheap. Read it as the opposite of what was written.

Back
Top Bottom