Inside Third Man Records pressing plant

ooba tooba

Information is from my brother, who was there today. He said he would double check the info but he believes there are 8 record presses that can put out 5000 copies daily.
IMG_3929.JPG
Making the White Stripes red vinyl today
IMG_3926.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
Screen printing the covers
Nice to see gloves being worn by record handler

One thing I have never liked about Third Man, it's gimmick product, that maybe the youth like, but the record world really doesn't need.

Take note of all the hands on of the machines, we might get more gimmick from them with brain farts of the operator. Hand setting the labels will no doubt lead to a lot of miss labeling. On a production stand point it will be slow and in some cases could be good. However I can't help but think they have the machines to do audiophile pressings, but will press multi color vinyl that sounds crappy.

4-2-7 I completely understand what you are saying, and I will watch your video in the am, (and I also read earlier posts about poor quality of a certain pressing) but I really believe Jack is in it for the love of it. Redoing Sun stuff, which isn't exactly the top of the pops, tells me he is probably a purist and genuine music lover...if he was pressing Adele and Beyoncé I would think otherwise. I'm sure there is a learning curve in production as well. The guy plays guitar and sings. But I think he really is trying to be more, and I will support as long as I think he's trying to further availability of great tunes on vinyl. Time will tell but I'll go on this ride a bit:beerchug:

I have been to the store, it is a fun place. He helped a neighborhood, built a record company and has spread the
word to the masses....Ya gotta like the spirit!! I am not a big White Stripes fan, but for sure a Jack White fan! I feel that the
more publicity for music and records the better, we win in the long run as where there is demand, there will be diverse
supply!! Take off the ear buds and crank up some records on a big stereo!!

I have been to the store, it is a fun place. He helped a neighborhood, built a record company and has spread the
word to the masses....Ya gotta like the spirit!! I am not a big White Stripes fan, but for sure a Jack White fan! I feel that the
more publicity for music and records the better, we win in the long run as where there is demand, there will be diverse
supply!! Take off the ear buds and crank up some records on a big stereo!!

1+++ :music:

One thing I have never liked about Third Man, it's gimmick product, that maybe the youth like, but the record world really doesn't need.

Take note of all the hands on of the machines, we might get more gimmick from them with brain farts of the operator. Hand setting the labels will no doubt lead to a lot of miss labeling. On a production stand point it will be slow and in some cases could be good. However I can't help but think they have the machines to do audiophile pressings, but will press multi color vinyl that sounds crappy.

Couldn't disagree more, what you call gimmicks are part of his artistry. He is at the front of the vinyl resurgence, loving it so much he's spending his own money to build 2 record pressing plants. Why trash the press operator accusing him of brain farts based on nothing but some preconceived notion of yours. I have bought records from the Nashville plant and they are a top quality packaging, labeling and pressing.

Couldn't disagree more, what you call gimmicks are part of his artistry.
Your entitled to feel that way and don't know why you need to quote my opinion to express yours. I don't like his music either, is that a problem for you also?
A leader in the vinyl resurgence? really?:no:

I think your dislike of his music pretty much sums up your opinion of his record pressing plant. How many other artists are spending there own money to keep the vinyl presses running.

I think most people are unaware of the unbelievable collector frenzy surrounding Jack White and TMR. Sure you can see his variants and other odd ball stuff as gimmicks, and I would agree that some pressings, such as the lazaretto album are so full of gimmicks that it ruins the record but the man has serious dedication to vinyl. Is he the "leader of the vinyl resurgence" well lets be honest, no one person is the "leader" but he is absolutely at the sharp point of it. Not many artist , in fact none that I can think of, have done as much or put up as much of his own money for the resurgence. He has started his own label essentially dedicated to putting out special editions and variants, repressing mostly forgotten music ( the paramount box sets are amazing) opened or invested in a couple of pressing plants and has been a very vocal champion of vinyl. If anyone could name another singer who has done as much for the resurgence I'd love to hear it.

I have a pretty decent TMR collection, 80 or so titles and I'm not even close to being a real player in the TMR collectors circle. Seeing their releases sell in the $200-500 range is not unusual at all, in fact one of the records pressed at the opening sold on ebay for $250 yesterday. I dont think it would be a stretch to say that TMR collectors are the new Beatles collectors and we all know how fanatical they can be. Now I'm not comparing the White stripes to the Beatles musically just pointing out the dedication of the collectors to small variants and slight differences in pressings and their insatiable appetite for them.

Your entitled to feel that way and don't know why you need to quote my opinion to express yours. I don't like his music either, is that a problem for you also?
It would be a problem for me if you did like his music. Also - it's time for another refresher -

A leader in the vinyl resurgence? really?:no:
Jesus man, what does he have to do to be considered at the forefront of vinyl to you?:dunno:

I think your dislike of his music pretty much sums up your opinion of his record pressing plant.
I love the pressing plant, but if you look at my first post, it's how it is going to be used to produce gimmick records, novelty goods and a tourist attraction.

I think most people are unaware of the unbelievable collector frenzy surrounding Jack White and TMR. Sure you can see his variants and other odd ball stuff as gimmicks, and I would agree that some pressings, such as the lazaretto album are so full of gimmicks that it ruins the record but the man has serious dedication to vinyl.
Both him and his partner are collectors and that's pretty much what they are involved in. If a musical artist had any regard for sound quality and records at the same time the focus would be the sound quality. However their focus has been collector goods, and really they are not the only ones. There is far far to much pressing of records that are gimmick novelty in the industry right now. IMHO, that doesn't help the audiophile, it helps the sale profits to the young who really don't know better. A splatter record, and try color record does not equate to sound quality as your stylus drags over three or more mixes of vinyl. Then the fact it's not virgin vinyl being used at that point, it's recycled from all the excessive amounts of color records today.

Jesus man, what does he have to do to be considered at the forefront of vinyl to you?

Press good records and have the focus on sound quality.

Damn all I did was state my opinion to a project he is doing, you'd of thunk I was in a technics thread bad mouthing the SL-1200. jeremy is right, there seems to be a bit of fanaticism surrounding his products and endeavors.

I love the pressing plant, but if you look at my first post, it's how it is going to be used to produce gimmick records, novelty goods and a tourist attraction.

Both him and his partner are collectors and that's pretty much what they are involved in. If a musical artist had any regard for sound quality and records at the same time the focus would be the sound quality. However their focus has been collector goods, and really they are not the only ones. There is far far to much pressing of records that are gimmick novelty in the industry right now. IMHO, that doesn't help the audiophile, it helps the sale profits to the young who really don't know better. A splatter record, and try color record does not equate to sound quality as your stylus drags over three or more mixes of vinyl. Then the fact it's not virgin vinyl being used at that point, it's recycled from all the excessive amounts of color records today.

Press good records and have the focus on sound quality.

Damn all I did was state my opinion to a project he is doing, you'd of thunk I was in a technics thread bad mouthing the SL-1200. jeremy is right, there seems to be a bit of fanaticism surrounding his products and endeavors.
Well he is in the business of selling records, now more than ever, so I get the gimmick thing you're talking about. But people like colored vinyl, and hologram covers... I agree it best just to produce great sounding records, but that extra stuff drives a ton of sales. I haven't heard the Lazzaretto pressing that many are disappointed by, but I have heard quite a few other TM releases and they sound great to my ears.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...ts-opening-third-man-pressing-plant/98397416/

On a good note, at least they are not pressing at United Artist anymore, but I must assume they will be having them do the plating. Plating is a very important aspect in making records you can have the best masting in the world but if any step along the way is sub par you don't end up with a good record.

I would absolutely agree that their focus is geared more towards the vinyl collector rather than the audiophile.

I'm a Nashville native who has been around during all of the Third Man hype-building years. I am a big white stripes fan, but I grew disenchanted with their whole exclusivity thing. It was such a pain in the ass to obtain any of their special pressings just down the road from my house. Jack White was instrumental in bolstering the vinyl record scene in Nashville, and he deserves credit for that, but it got old. They also only sell super-crappy Crosley all-in-ones in the store in Nashville, so maybe they care about the vinyl, just not how it's consumed. I always got the impression they were selling to young, rich hipsters, not the serious audiophile collector. Just go wait in one of those lines to see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom