...installing a remote...

axel

Is it easy to install a motorized pot & attendant IR remote in a preamp that hadn't one in the first place?

Given my setup (separated between two rooms, the main rig in one, the Mac in another), it would be quite handy if I could. I use this with my Sony E80ES but might become the owner of a Kyocera C-910 (http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT/KYOCERA/C910.html).

Just thought I would ask before jumping in.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Installing remote

Installing a motorized remote control would be quite a project. There are some alternatives that can be installed in the tape monitor loop that allow you to control volume, balance, tone and mute functions. Years ago AR made such a device. My next door neighbor has one that he uses in his main system. I use is the Chase Technologies RLC-1 which provides the same functions with good results. You may be able to find one of these units on the used market at a price much more reasonable than the cost of even the parts for a motorized remote control.

tcdriver

thanks tc!
I'll only need volume control but will look into that.

ps. how can it change tone through a tape loop?

Motorized volume

I don't know of anything that would do tone through a tape loop, but the Creek OBH-12 is a motorized passive volume control that can go into a tape loop. I picked one up used for $125, and love it. Even new, they are not too much.
Mark

Chase Technologies RLC-1

axel said:
thanks tc!
I'll only need volume control but will look into that.

ps. how can it change tone through a tape loop?

It does not change the controls on your front panel of the unit you hook it to. The heart of the controller is an integrated circuit that includes functions that allow adjustment of volume, balance and tone. To this circuit they add the infrared receiver, transmitter (in the remote control) and microcontroller to keep track of things. It all works pretty well.

tcdriver

What about building some kind of device that could turn the knob?

I know it sounds wacky but what about something like a remote control
toy car and the servo to turn on the bottom side of the volume knob.

or some form like that and you could use it on some of your other gear.
I have an old car and the controller and was going to try something like this!

Sound to wackY? :naughty:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom