Instrumental Surf playlist.

Wipeout by The Surfaris was the first record I ever bought, and The Ventures' Walk Don't Run remains one of the catchiest instrumentals of all time.

Attachments

• Ventures, Surfaris.jpg
    Ventures, Surfaris.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 9
For those of you who don't know, Surf saw a sizable revival and there was a strong scene in the 90's, particularly in southern California and the Northwest, but not well known elsewhere. Labels were there, and mail order was there, and the bands were there. I was there and it was impressive to see and a lot of fun. Lots of great bands who played it letter perfect and were straight out of 1963 from their clothes, amps, instruments, cover art, recording techniques. That's almost entirely gone now and it's turned into a lot of cheese and a lame shadow of its former self.

I was there too,and have the autographed records,limited editions,and obscurities to prove it,not just the standard stuff on Estrus,Dionysus,etc.It was great times.

Why have I never seen this thread before?

Two of my favorites from a label that Rob Zombie had in the 90's, Zombie-A-Go-Go records:

14vpkcz.jpg

Just a killer album. The skits/interludes are a bit cheesy but it's all part of the fun. These guys tear it up.

30rtwkg.jpg

This is a Halloween comp. Has Los Straitjackets, The Bomboros, The Ghastly Ones, etc. A must-have.

An often overlooked, surf-era instrumental is Tommy James/Shondells Thunderbolt (1963?) on the flip side of Hanky Panky. Don't think it was ever on an album. It's a jammin' little rocker.

jamesthundbr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom