Integrated amp and tuner - which goes on top?

Which arrangement?

• Total voters

periclimenes

Just for fun... I actually prefer amp on top because the volume is easier to access (it's on a low table). Then again, if I had it on a high table, I'd want it on bottom!

It's better to have the amp on top as amplifiers produce a lot of heat.

Tuners hardly generate any heat. If you have it the other way around, the heat produced by the amplifier would not be good for the tuner.
I was under that impression as well, but whenever I see a photo of somebody's setup, the amp tends to be on the bottom (maybe because receiver design has dial on top, knobs on bottom?).

I suppose that there are exceptions. I have a Fisher amp that gets pretty hot but the outputs are mounted on the rear of the chassis along with the heat sinks that stick out the back. The top doesn't get hot at all, only the rear heat sinks.

A lot of designs have the outputs inside with heat sinks and top vents. These are the one's that I would not put anything on top of.

I have my components side-by-side in general although I will stack low powered source pieces. But when I visited the Sony HQ in Tokyo, they displayed the Class A amp below the player but with an air space.

DSC06923.jpg

Last edited:
I dislike seeing components stacked on top of one another. There is the heat problem and I see too many items being sold on the used market with scratch marks from stacking.

Most brochures show the tuner on top of the amp, which seems to me like a way to reduce the amount of airflow through the amps heatsinks.

Lee.

The intelligent thing - due to heat - is to have the amp on top.
But - I think if someone didn't consider that they'd put the amp on the bottom because it is heavier.

Most brochures show the tuner on top of the amp, which seems to me like a way to reduce the amount of airflow through the amps heatsinks.

Lee.

Interesting observation. I think the engineers were left out of the discussion concerning what the ad design might look like. Those guys in marketing could care less about how long something lasts as long as they present it in the best Feng-sway manner they can. I think the tuner always looks best on top but I know better. Think about watch advertisements, what time is it always?

The tuner or any other source component should be on the bottom. Amps generate heat and need the airflow. As others have said, the tuner LOOKS better on top, but doing that could shorten the life of both components.

Regardless, stacking should only be done when there needs to be a compromise because of space. I prefer longer ICs and giving the amp its own shelf with plenty of space and airflow. In fact my big 5 channel HT amp is in it's own compartment with big slow-moving computer fans (dead quiet) helping move air. The preamp is the only visible component and that sucker gets pretty hot as well. No fans though because the A/C vent is aimed right at it.

I'm not saying my attention to adequate cooling is the reason why, but all my components are going on twenty years of service with no breakdowns. The only one I've ever had to service is my B&K Reference 50 which I bought used and was, you guessed it, stacked on top of an amp. Coincidence? Probably. :)

Side by side. I avoid stacking at all costs; however, if I must the component that puts out the most heat goes on top.

Usually I try to have them on seperate shelves with the integrated amp on the bottom (or lower) shelf and the tuner on the shelf above that.

Two primary reasons I do it that way:
1. Having them on seperate shelves allows plenty of airflow for the integratged amp's cooling,plus the air is generally slightly cooler closer to the fioor (ie: heat rises).
2. Tuner on top shelf means you wont have the FM antenna/wiring crossing over/near any of the other IC/speaker/power cables or such.

Volume knob usually is'nt all that a big concern to me,especially if the integrated in question has a remote.

My main BR 2.1 system (Teac A-1D/T-1D) is like that right now (this one has a remote so volume control is NBD).
As are my Sansui rack system (AU-217/TU-217/SE-80) and my vintage Kenwood silverface system (KA-7300/KT-7300/SA-90).
Now those two dont have remotes (obviously),but neither of those are my main listening rigs,so I dont sweat getting up to adjust the volume if deemed necessary.

Only integrated I own that is'nt like that right now is the basement work bench rack rig (NAD 3140/2140) as there is no tuner in that system just yet.

FWIW

Bret P.

Tuner on top shelf means you wont have the FM antenna/wiring crossing over/near any of the other IC/speaker/power cables or such.

Tuner on top makes the tuning easier to see. Ideally (my preference if possible) I would like any devices which require seeing controls e.g. tuner to be at eye level.

Always have to have the tuner on bottom when stacked due to heat and ventilation from the integrated amp. Side by side is better if there is space, but stacked is perfectly fine.

The same is true of amplifiers and receivers; those should always be on top or separate from other components.

Anything on top of a component that produces heat is just dying a slow death.

I use separate shelves. One unit per shelf. Power amp on the bottom, then the tuner, then the preamp, and finally the turntable. Lots of airflow around each unit. On my other system, I have the two power amps on the top shelf, turntables on top of them, wooden shelves in between. The amps have large fins out on 60% of each side and wrapped around the back. I have monitored the temperatures on each and they only ever get warm. The CD player is on its own shelf underneath the centre of the cabinet, and the preamp is on the bottom shelf underneath. I tell you it is a pain in the butt to crawl in there, and I have many times. It is the only practical solution with that unit.

Tuner on top for me. There is enough clearance between the 2 for the heat to escape. Also my integrated weighs alot and i wouldnt want the top of the tuner to sag overtime

Back
Top Bottom